• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Calgary Area Meetups, Fall 2017 | Coffee Shop | Modern Tool

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Hey Everyone,

You know the drill!

Time for another meetup! We're planning two meetups for this fall!

First a standard meetup next weekend.
We'll be meeting at the Tim Hortons at: 444 58 Ave SE, Calgary, AB T2H 0P4
Map Link: https://goo.gl/ad49iY

Meeting time will be 10:30am, Saturday, Oct 21st.

Secondly, @Alexander is patnering with modern tool to host a meet-up at their location.
Map Link: https://goo.gl/maps/HRgrDYrKjX12
Lots of machines and equipment to see and learn about on this Day. Alex is even working on programs to run on their CNC machines.

Meeting Date will be Saturday Nov 4th at 11:00am

As always, bonus points if you bring something you've been working on, or something cool to show the group!

Please RSVP by clicking these link:
COFFEE SHOP: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/canadi...l-meetup-coffee-shop-rsvp-tickets-38916616648

MODERN TOOL: https://www.eventbrite.com/e/canadi...l-meetup-modern-tool-rsvp-tickets-38917201397

Your RSVP is important, as we may need to communicate with Tim Hortons if enough people are coming. Maybe even a larger location will be needed.

Looking forward to seeing everyone!

JW

Last edited:

Murdoch

This would be really cool to check out. However living in Toronto restricts me from attending, but I do appreciate the invite. Thank-you

If someone could bring some good instructions on getting a cnc program up and running that would be awesome.
I went and bought one of those mini mills off Ebay for shits and giggles and I can seem to get the blasted thing running. I'm pretty sure its probably something I'm doing software wise or I'm missing something, but I cant seem to get it going.
ANY help would be great. Get jot down what software your using from where and install instructions
I'm running either Windows 10 or I have another computer with only the operating system on it, which is Windows XP.
Thanks and look forward to see a couple of people.
Brian

John Conroy

Premium Member
I'd like to come down to Calgary from Edmonton for the Modern Tool visit. Anyone else from Edmonton area want to travel with me and share gas costs? Leave Edmonton at about 7 AM on Nov 4th?

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
I'd like to come down to Calgary from Edmonton for the Modern Tool visit. Anyone else from Edmonton area want to travel with me and share gas costs? Leave Edmonton at about 7 AM on Nov 4th?

Similarly, any Calgary members see something cool on Kijiji in Edmonton and would prefer to pay for gas than drive? Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I bought it off Ebay Just to see what it capable of. I do have really small brass tags that it might work on, But I just can't seem to get the blasted motors to run.View attachment 1954
It may not be the exact model but it pretty close to it.

Brian
This isn’t the same router but is similar in size. It’s scary what he’s doing with it. I just can’t get over the flood coolant!

John Conroy

Premium Member
Hey guys, I'd love to come down for the Modern Tool tour today but I just can't spare the 6 hours of drive time. Please take pictures for those of us who can't make it!

John

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Same here. Wish I could make it! Currently in the crows nest pass preparing to take on the highway 3 into BC. Wish me luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Pictures from the Meet up at Modern Tool. In this series we're seeing a CNC lathe demo making a tamper for an espresso machine.

Attachments

• IMG_5274.JPG
    IMG_5274.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4542.JPG
    IMG_4542.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_5457.JPG
    IMG_5457.JPG
    103.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_7790.JPG
    IMG_7790.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_9676.JPG
    IMG_9676.JPG
    86.4 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5680.JPG
    IMG_5680.JPG
    161.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_2509.JPG
    IMG_2509.JPG
    104.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0935.JPG
    IMG_0935.JPG
    100.3 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4542.JPG
    IMG_4542.JPG
    125.5 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2588.JPG
    IMG_2588.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_4643.JPG
    IMG_4643.JPG
    141 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0675.JPG
    IMG_0675.JPG
    111.4 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1748.JPG
    IMG_1748.JPG
    122.9 KB · Views: 16

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Pictures from Modern tool meetup. Thanks Alex for the demo and Thank you Modern Tool and Dal for hosting and coming in on Saturday. Here we see the milling machine which was demoed and the two parts made today. Lathe part on left, mill part on right.

Attachments

• IMG_6762.JPG
    IMG_6762.JPG
    113 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3463.JPG
    IMG_3463.JPG
    96.3 KB · Views: 11

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
More lathe shots here. The pedals open and close the hydraulic chuck and move the tail stock. Tool changer. The odd fold down bar in front of the chuck is the Z axis tool height sensor. Pull it down, touch off, then push it up. Zero is then set for the tool.

Attachments

• IMG_7048.JPG
    IMG_7048.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_1674 2.JPG
    IMG_1674 2.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5146 2.JPG
    IMG_5146 2.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_5162.JPG
    IMG_5162.JPG
    111.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_6274.JPG
    IMG_6274.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 11

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Very nice. Too bad I could not make it in the end.... boss decided to escape the weather and go somewhere warmer for the weekend.