• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

CAD Forum intro

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
We've had a number of threads going on CAD and Fusion recently. @Dabbler suggested to make a new forum for CAD - I think that's a great idea. So here it is. The forum is to discuss anything on CAD any program etc. Fire away. :)

Great John, really appreciate the change!

Swharfin'

Out to pasture Red Seal Millwright
Awesome This may or may not be the place to ask being new to this site and site/ forum etiquette is taught if I need to ask somewhere else please redirect me.
I think I realize the benefits of CNC CAD CAM tech. but pitifully little about it in this day and age. Software costs are the main reason I have hesitated. We had AutoCAD on the server where I used to work as a Millwright lead hand but had very little time to learn it due to the alarm bells going off. So I would really appreciate if anyone could point me in the right direction such as online courses, ( I live in the boonies) good reading material basically point A. I would be grateful. Heck I'm stilling struggling to use my laptop. I use a drafting table in my dining room & all XYZ manual machines.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
This is the right place for this discussion. What package are you interested in Swharfin? There is a surprising amount of content on youtube. For online titan academy has a number of cad cam cnc tutorials - fusion 360, mastercam, I think solidworks, they are quite good. The other online learning sites also have material, you know lynda, coursera, and others. I've bought a few but actually the free material on titan and youtube is just as good or even better in my opinion.

learn fusion in a few hours - tutorial in 16 short parts.
https://academy.titansofcnc.com tutorials make parts end to end. Cad, CAM, CNC Machining.
https://www.youtube.com/c/EdgePrecision/featured expert CNC machinist showing how to design CAM programs and operate cnc equipment - he really explains the details - love it.

Swharfin'

Thanks I know what the anagrams mean I have an idea what they are capable of to some extent. that's about it. Intimidated by the volume and breadth of the tech I suppose is the short answer.
Thanks again

Johnwa

Ultra Member
@Swharfin' Fusion 360 is free for hobbyists. It’s not terribly clear on the Autodesk site as they’re trying to make a sale. It just takes a bit of poking around to find it.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks I know what the anagrams mean I have an idea what they are capable of to some extent. that's about it. Intimidated by the volume and breadth of the tech I suppose is the short answer.
Thanks again

I’ve just recently re-dipped my toes into Fusion 360 because I bought a 3D printer.
I took a quick start mini-course through desktopmakes. Something about the way it was presented really hit home and for the first time I feel like I can design simple shapes.

https://www.desktopmakes.com

Swharfin'

Thanks David
All Greek to me lol
I just stepped off the deep end and got overwhelmed where usually I could struggle thru.
With CAD it just didn't happen so...
I visited the link you provided and bookmarked it and will visit it today.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks David
All Greek to me lol
I just stepped off the deep end and got overwhelmed where usually I could struggle thru.
With CAD it just didn't happen so...
I visited the link you provided and bookmarked it and will visit it today.
It was the same for me. I started with the Intro lesson from Lars and found it to be a pretty deep dip.
In the intervening time I also messed around in SketchUp which helped me figure out some 3D basics. I drew some fairly complicated stuff there.
But I really wanted to have pro-level CAD/CAM capabilities so Fusion360 was the place I went.

Swharfin'

@Swharfin' Fusion 360 is free for hobbyists. It’s not terribly clear on the Autodesk site as they’re trying to make a sale. It just takes a bit of poking around to find it.
Thanks John wa
I'll be burning thru my data shortly with all this new info ;{)

Swharfin'

It was the same for me. I started with the Intro lesson from Lars and found it to be a pretty deep dip.
In the intervening time I also messed around in SketchUp which helped me figure out some 3D basics. I drew some fairly complicated stuff there.
But I really wanted to have pro-level CAD/CAM capabilities so Fusion360 was the place I went.
I'm not shy about paying my dues but a large software investment I couldn't justify without light at the end of the tunnel. An opportunity to try before you buy is great. I tried free cad programs before but again I simply didn't not how to appreciate them/ use them.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I'm not shy about paying my dues but a large software investment I couldn't justify without light at the end of the tunnel. An opportunity to try before you buy is great. I tried free cad programs before but again I simply didn't not how to appreciate them/ use them.
I'm just using the free hobby level license version of F360.

Swharfin'

To the collective that kindly offered help when I asked for it Thanks;
I took your advice and down loaded F360 opened it up to look around-got a message saying my graphic card needed an update- checked no Win8 support-download/ installed Win10 using the tool listed 6hrs worth. Signed up to Desktop Makes watched up to lesson 5 ha! pause write pause write et al. The journey begins. As far as the paid subscription/license goes thru more or less Autodesk's server could that be wrote off as a professional service?

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Windows 8? That sounds like an old laptop. Once you start simulating tool path you will likely run into problems. I have been using fusion-360 on and off since the beginning. It seems like you need a dedicated graphics card for the manufacturing work space. It is a good program. Definitely worth learning.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Most CAD packages are similar, they like good graphics cards, RAM & fast processors roughly in that order. Its always a good idea to have a peek at recommended system requirements. And recognize these are only guidelines. A couple simple parts wont tax the system too bad. More complex parts or larger assemblies gobble more. Another misconception is that a high end gamer card should also be good for Cad, but it doesn't really work that way, they have different demands. None of this should stop you from having fun & exploring what F360 is about, but just a heads up. Sadly I'm going to have to bite the bullet & move off Win-7 one day. The OS has little to do with performance but if the app has moved on then there isn't a lot of choice in the matter.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...tem-requirements-for-Autodesk-Fusion-360.html

Swharfin'

Yep it's an oldy carbon brushes , generator & leaded fuel. For now I'd rather put a big hole in an old one than a new one.

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Most CAD packages are similar, they like good graphics cards, RAM & fast processors roughly in that order. Its always a good idea to have a peek at recommended system requirements. And recognize these are only guidelines. A couple simple parts wont tax the system too bad. More complex parts or larger assemblies gobble more. Another misconception is that a high end gamer card should also be good for Cad, but it doesn't really work that way, they have different demands. None of this should stop you from having fun & exploring what F360 is about, but just a heads up. Sadly I'm going to have to bite the bullet & move off Win-7 one day. The OS has little to do with performance but if the app has moved on then there isn't a lot of choice in the matter.

https://knowledge.autodesk.com/supp...tem-requirements-for-Autodesk-Fusion-360.html
I am curious why you figure a "high end gamer card" wouldn't be good for fusion 360? I am operating under the assumption that any graphics card with 8+ gigs of v-ram would be a real performer in a creative application like fusion. I will admit I have nothing to compare my gaming rig to but it is pretty quick in Fusion360 even though it is made of entry level gaming components.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Last night I was reading a raging debate in the Fusion360 FB group over what constitutes a good F360 machine. 'puters optimized for gaming didn't seem to fare well, something about GPU, threading, (not single point or double start!) all of it well beyond my comprehension (I max out at knowing the difference between a Mac and a PC...)

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
Depends on the type of workload. With Linuxcnc, you get better performance when you disable/isolate cores, basically force the OS to use a single core. Allows real time traffic to leverage a core without honing to swap/share

GAming is probably different workload than drafting workload, math vs refresh do to speak

My last gaming machine is a super NES from 1991.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk