Maker Mike
Super User
Could you mount your contraption in the lathe chuck?
That is the whole point of the hole in the side of the pier, so I won't have to have the mount supported by threaded rods.In my case I also use this to level my mounting plate.
Pierre
I could but then have to come up with a way to secure the pier onto the cross slide of the lathe probably with the pier standing on one end. At least doing the job on the mill I would have the pier to laying down on the X cross slide with more surface to mount it to.Could you mount your contraption in the lathe chuck?
So I did have to drill dozens of separate holes around the circumference of the access hole to get the job done.
Painted it all up and installed it yesterday, it seems to be working well, still have to pour the sand in.
I know this isn't an astronomy forum, but if you are so inclined and you are into astrophotography, I wouldn't mind seeing some of your photos.
Thanks,Looks amazing Skippy! Can we get a photo or two of the big picture? It's hard to imagine myself using it without seeing the context. It looks like it's up on a tower?

I'm not much of a photographer, I tried my hand at astrophotography back in the day when film was king but it wasn't very good. Besides there are so many amateur astrophotographers that produce stunning images, I couldn't hope to get satisfactory results.I know this isn't an astronomy forum, but if you are so inclined and you are into astrophotography, I wouldn't mind seeing some of your photos.
Thanks
The pier doesn't touch the deck or the joists, that's why I wanted it right over top of the 4" steel post.I'll be interested to see how much the fuzzies shake when the wife walks across the house to try and distract you.
The pier doesn't touch the deck or the joists, that's why I wanted it right over top of the 4" steel post.
It shouldn't even pick up my walking around the deck.




Photos of extraterrestrial visions!
I have been playing with a new toy.
Seestar 30 Pro about the size of a shoebox! Small aperture 30mm! I stick it onto my 3d printed wedge and tripod.
Pierre