Buffalo/Canadian drill press

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Why does new iron lack the style of old iron?

imo, goes back to the first machines, beginning of the industrial revolution. Ask someone to do a drawing and likely their background was from architecture, maybe furniture (what else was there?). So you got these great looking early engines where detailing, proportions etc were deeply ingrained skills in those who designed/drew them. Fluted columns, finials, pleasant proportions, ornate details etc. Once we realized form should really follow function, they've been getting uglier ever since. :(

Thing is, we're still human (all of us here anyway, I have my doubts about most the rest of the world) not robots, and using nice looking stuff is, well, nicer.

A beam engine from 1832.

1705427989592.jpeg

Tomc938

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Nice piece of iron.

Pity they cut it up to make a static display. I get it, but the real beauty is seeing these old girls running. Might be slightly larger than an electric motor, but there is a calming effect in the quiet swooshing, and you can just feel the power.

Ou local museum has an old steam donkey that a bunch of power engineers restored. They run it every Victoria and Labour Day. Love to go and watch.
Although this steam engine from Austin Manitoba's Agricultural Museum is my all-time favourite:

If only everyone would stop talking so you could enjoy the quiet.

Bandit

Super User
Them that are in Alberta, can see some steam stuff up at Renalds museum at Wehtaswen or could last time I was there, 5? Years ago. It's not the same as the first time I was there, late 1970s, then there was no way to see every thing!

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Them that are in Alberta, can see some steam stuff up at Renalds museum at Wehtaswen or could last time I was there, 5? Years ago. It's not the same as the first time I was there, late 1970s, then there was no way to see every thing!

And this place.

But good luck getting a tour....

KeeponDragon

Super User
There is a blacksmith in AB, young fella. Very well known in the 'smith community. Ethan Harty. Certified steam engineer too. That's a young guy who's keeping the art and the science alive and well.
His youtube channel is great. But his shop is legendary. That one steam hammer of his, Tim Dyck was using it to make a run of hammers...the boom when it hits...woooooeee