Brown and Sharp – No. 2L Surface Grinder, $950, Dundas, ON

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
931fb127-1b78-4ccd-9f0c-b57ef65329ac

Ironman

Ultra Member
I have been in communication with him and I think I will get it. It will cost $600 to ship it, or more before the dust settles. They badly want to cube it. I have seen weights from 3400lb:rolleyes: to 2000lb. I think even that is on the high side. The customer is the whipping boy on any LTL freight.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have been in communication with him and I think I will get it. It will cost $600 to ship it, or more before the dust settles. They badly want to cube it. I have seen weights from 3400lb:rolleyes: to 2000lb. I think even that is on the high side. The customer is the whipping boy on any LTL freight.

Wow. Nice!

You-Suck.PNG

Jayham

Could you share more details (when you have them) on LTL costs, hassles, time lines etc.

I would like to ship a surface grinder in the future from Ont to Ab and would like to ball park it.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@Ironman Please make sure this happens:

The table MUST be removed before it is crated. If it isn't this is the surest way to ruin any accuracy in your surface grinder. The table is only there by gravity, and every bump in the road will Brinnel your ways just a little more. This kind of damage is very hard to fix. Most people cannot achieve a decent fix without regrinding the ways on even higher precision equipment....

On a 2,000 km journey, those ways will be a royal mess otherwise.

Ironman

Ultra Member
If there is anyone near Dundas who could assist in packing this I would be happy to pay for it.
This guy says: This was my late father’s, has not been used in several years. He was an engineer and kept things in good working order. I don’t have a forklift, but might have someone coming with one for a shaper I'm also selling this weekend. So it’s a maybe for putting on a pallet.

Ironman

Ultra Member
@Ironman Please make sure this happens:

The table MUST be removed before it is crated. If it isn't this is the surest way to ruin any accuracy in your surface grinder. The table is only there by gravity, and every bump in the road will Brinnel your ways just a little more. This kind of damage is very hard to fix. Most people cannot achieve a decent fix without regrinding the ways on even higher precision equipment....

On a 2,000 km journey, those ways will be a royal mess otherwise.
Would it be acceptable to bolt or tie down the table with winch straps? Basically it must not move in any direction, right?

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I get why you are reluctant to take the table off - it has haydraulics to move it. When I dissassembled Bert's it didn't take very long. About 20 minutes. If it is strapped down, it would be best if there were 2X4s on top of the table and the straps pull that down. it will be easier to achieve even pressure that way. (and less chance that strap abrasion will cut a strap)

Ironman

Ultra Member
Not so much that I'm reluctant, it's that this guy seems to have never learned much from his dad. I can only communicate through the Kijiji thing which is horrible. No phone # etc.
I have the BS manual and there are pictures on how to lift it, love to send them but can't.

I'm just the other side of the city but if I had my eyesight and could drive there I would have had it at my place by now!