• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Bridgeport Parts Canada

Perhaps try these guys as well - might be able to get them to ship it with USPS in an envelope? Should be no special fees at the border…

Let's see how I make out with @van123d 's source in Canada first. But nice to have more options.

FWIW, H&W ship via UPS who insist on collecting brokerage and paying HST. I'm prepared to do that but would prefer not to.

You know you can tell UPS that you are going to self-broker it, right? They hold the package at customs, you go and do your magic at the customs office, get a release number, send it to UPS and away the package goes out to delivery.

There should be no reason that tiny part can’t go via USPS international letter mail…

No problem. Being new to all of this stuff I have more questions than answers so it is nice to be able to give back when I can. Hopefully they have the part in stock and price is reasonable.

I think part 184 on your diagram is H40 on mine. It’s the pin that the collar bumps into to disengage the reverse feed.

You know you can tell UPS that you are going to self-broker it, right? They hold the package at customs, you go and do your magic at the customs office, get a release number, send it to UPS and away the package goes out to delivery.

There should be no reason that tiny part can’t go via USPS international letter mail…

Actually, I didn't know that. But it wouldn't matter. It would cost me a hundred bucks in gas to go to customs and Lord only knows what kind of hassle at the border. It shouldn't be necessary at all. It's under the diminimus amount and it should just get delivered.

The last time I ordered from H&W they wouldn't use USPS. If they did, the part would have been ordered on Friday.

The good news is that I have lots of options now so it's just a matter of getting it done.

Most of my slow neurons are now focussed on how to route the DRO cable so it stays secure in the read head, doesn't rub on the mill hardware, and doesn't get in my way when I'm machining. I'm thinking about a small track roller system but I don't want to turn this adventure into a big rig-ga-ma-roll.

Actually, I didn't know that. But it wouldn't matter. It would cost me a hundred bucks in gas to go to customs and Lord only knows what kind of hassle at the border. It shouldn't be necessary at all. It's under the diminimus amount and it should just get delivered.

The last time I ordered from H&W they wouldn't use USPS. If they did, the part would have been ordered on Friday.

The good news is that I have lots of options now so it's just a matter of getting it done.

Most of my slow neurons are now focussed on how to route the DRO cable so it stays secure in the read head, doesn't rub on the mill hardware, and doesn't get in my way when I'm machining. I'm thinking about a small track roller system but I don't want to turn this adventure into a big rig-ga-ma-roll.
They told me they would use USPS and then did not.

But I needed the lead screws so they had me by the short and curlies then.

So, how did this work out Sir? I need more than a few quill parts and want to order from Canadian source.

They told me they would use USPS and then did not.

But I needed the lead screws so they had me by the short and curlies then.

So, how did this work out Sir? I need more than a few quill parts and want to order from Canadian source.

I ended up calling Heinman Machinery in Mississauga and ordered the First part that @van123d found for me in the thread above. It was totally painless and fit perfectly.

This particular First part was identical to my Hartford part which I know for a fact is identical to the Bridgeport part.

But I have certainly found that not all Hartford parts are the same as the Bridgeport and I would imagine that only gets worse with the Firsts.

My part arrived quickly from within Canada and I was happy as hell about it.

You might be able gather up your parts and just go see them!

Edit - it isn't strictly true that it's identical. The removal thread is different. But that does not affect function - just disassembly.

I have buddies that have done the 'just say no' to UPS delivery attempt in order to avert the familiar dinger fees by self-brokering or self-declaring or whatever the correct terminology is. One buddy distributed us a step by step procedure - do this, not that, say this if they ask you, insist on that if they are unwilling to.... All I can say is tread with caution. Others followed the steps to a tee & UPS found ways to be uncooperative & uncommunicative (once they know they aren't going to be making money off you). My other buddy lives 45 min drive from their depot & it took 3 tries to get over the goal line & multiple phone calls as his parcels got displaced, or stored or whatever the issue was. His gas money was worth more never mind the time. And I got the impression the clock was ticking before they returned to sender. You might have a more positive experience based on your local depot / customs situation, but that's what stuck in my brain from a few years ago.

Personally I have had the best luck with mid-shippers like DYK when sellers do not offer or want to be bothered with USPS. The package gets sent to a USA address which is familiar territory for the seller. They don't have to think or do extra work, which is ideally what you want. Often its cheaper to transport inside USA, but more importantly no customs paperwork for them attempt to figure out. Once it arrives, I get email notified, handle the tariff code & duty stuff by email or over the phone. Package arrives on a truck which they run from border twice per day. Multiple packages from same seller are accretive on the same form. They charge a fee for this service of course & shipping times vary, but it generally works out less cost than the couriers. And sometimes on certain items (based on value, weight, whatever..) the net gain is slim so I just suck it up & pay the fee.

I ended up calling Heinman Machinery in Mississauga and ordered the First part that @van123d found for me in the thread above. It was totally painless and fit perfectly.

This particular First part was identical to my Hartford part which I know for a fact is identical to the Bridgeport part.

But I have certainly found that not all Hartford parts are the same as the Bridgeport and I would imagine that only gets worse with the Firsts.

My part arrived quickly from within Canada and I was happy as hell about it.

You might be able gather up your parts and just go see them!

Edit - it isn't strictly true that it's identical. The removal thread is different. But that does not affect function - just disassembly.
Yeah I will take my parts there...

but not a credit card.... because Heinman sells servo lathes

Back