• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Bridgeport Parts Canada

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I am looking for a Canadian source for Bridgeport parts for my Hartford Clone. I only need one little part. Shipping from the USA is ridiculous.

A while back, I recall a member posted a Canadian Parts Supplier. But I'll be darned if I can find that post.

Does anyone on here remember who that Canadian Supplier was? Or alternatively, does anyone know of a Canadian Supplier for Bridgeport Parts?

I order parts to a package holding place and drive over to the US side of Niagara falls to pick up. Is this an option for you?

I order parts to a package holding place and drive over to the US side of Niagara falls to pick up. Is this an option for you?

Yes, it's an option. But.....

I am about an hour from the border.

My wife and I went to Port Huron this past Monday. It was our first trip to the US in 5 years. We were an hour driving to Sarnia, two hours in line, 15 minutes at customs......

Yes, I could speed things up by getting a nexus pass, but that's not really worth the hassle for a few trips. In fact, I'm not even sure I'd be eligible.

It doesn't matter though. The fuel to the border alone would easily pay for the shipping. If I can't find a Canadian Supplier, I'll order from H&W and pay the shipping. It's actually cheaper and less hassle.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just annoyed at the outcome of that trip and venting my spleen a little bit.

I'm just hoping for a small improvement over that by buying in Canada.

You can try Source Atlantic. They have a diagram in the back of their catalog for ordering parts. Their web site sucks and no mention of bridgeport parts. You can try calling.

Yeah I wish there were better Canadian sources. The border crossing I pass through to Buffalo has always been pretty fast. I think there was one that was always clogged. That's how I bring back tons of stuff including the Bridgeport motor. I make a trip out of sightseeing in Buffalo and pick up a bunch of packages.

I use this service for car parts. Cheaper for me than driving to the border. Prior to that I used CBI USA.

@Susquatch When I was mill shopping I spoke with Jeremy at H. H. Roberts in Mississauga. They don't specifically list stocking BP parts but it sounded like they might be willing to source what was needed. Even though there wasn't an immediate sale in it for him he was happy to take the time to talk.

D:cool:

@Susquatch When I was mill shopping I spoke with Jeremy at H. H. Roberts in Mississauga. They don't specifically list stocking BP parts but it sounded like they might be willing to source what was needed. Even though there wasn't an immediate sale in it for him he was happy to take the time to talk.

D:cool:

I'll give him a call. You never know.

Worth a call to Modern, but don't hold your breath. Waiting on some parts for my Modern 935 since about Feb. Apparently the slow boat is finally here, but cargo is stuck clearing port customs or something along those lines. BTW they are not stocking the (Taiwan) 935 anymore unless custom order. Only the X-6323-A in this size (Chinese base & table etc. Taiwan head). My understanding is some BP parts are the same/equivalent, others are not.

For my First branded Bridgeport clone I used Heinman Machinery out of Mississauga I believe. They sell/import First machines and can get any part you need.

I don’t know about compatibility between the clones but they have been good to deal with. Provided me manuals and parts diagram for my machine. Prices have been both surprisingly good and surprisingly expensive depending what part you need.

For my First branded Bridgeport clone I used Heinman Machinery out of Mississauga I believe. They sell/import First machines and can get any part you need.

I don’t know about compatibility between the clones but they have been good to deal with. Provided me manuals and parts diagram for my machine. Prices have been both surprisingly good and surprisingly expensive depending what part you need.

Thanks @van123d. Mine is a clone too but not as "upcloned" as a First LOL! Clones are an interesting thing. Makers have lots of choices. They can make them cheaper and lower quality, the same, or better. I think mine is better and yours is a lot better!

I took my quill stop apart to stiffen it up a bit in preparation for installing a quill DRO. In the process, I discovered a few things that needed to be replaced. In particular, my Reverse Trip Ball Lever | 1033-03 is slightly bent. I know they often break and when they do its a B@#&h to get the broken part out. In fact it was a B@#&h to get the unbroken one out! Mine was bent so I think it's wise to replace it BEFORE it breaks. It looks like this:

Screenshot_20220821-064324_Chrome.jpg

The reason for all my yakking a moment ago is simple. Given that the whole auto downfeed is a weakness in the BP design, the First might be improved. But who knows.....

If you could take a look at your parts breakdown, it would be appreciated.

The triple ball is located at the top of the front quill opening where the quill position indicator slide is. The actuator itself is a Lever at the bottom.

1454--600x600~2.png

It is under this screw cap.

images (1)~2.jpeg

Without pulling it apart it is tough to see if this is the same on the First machine, removing that screw cap I cannot tell what the shape of that part is. That being said everything looks identical to the photos you posted. I just cannot see the part inside the head. The parts diagram unfortunately is not clear either. Just shows a lumpy blob but maybe you can tell by the other surrounding parts if it is the same.
quill_assy.jpg

If I am missing a way that part just simply pops out and in again without having to pull the quill feed apart just PM me instructions and I can try and get the part out and get a photo for you.

If I am missing a way that part just simply pops out and in again without having to pull the quill feed apart just PM me instructions and I can try and get the part out and get a photo for you

In my case, you take the cover screw off, neutralize the load on the triple trip unit with the quill handle, thread a small #8-40 screw into the triple trip, and pull it out by pulling on the screw. I had to wiggle the quill up and down a bit while doing this. But mine was bent and that probably made it more difficult. Yours might be easier or way more difficult. Your pull screw might not be 8-40 either. Or you might have a bejezus spring go flying across the shop!

I'm not sure that these parts are universal. I'd hate for you to do all that to all go bad on you.

What is your part H39 called? If it's called a triple ball or something like that then maybe there is a small chance it's the same.

I don't think I have an H40 part at all. So it looks to me like your design is improved.

@Susquatch $23.00 plus shipping or a couple of hours on your lathe.....

I thought about making it for all of about 2 minutes. It looks like a hardened forged part and my original is bent. I don't want to take chances by putting something weaker in there. Somethings are not worth taking the chance. If I have to, I'd rather just spend the 23 plus exchange plus waiting plus shipping plus hassle.

Edit - I'll decide tomorrow after a few phone calls.

Last edited:
H-39 - Reverse trip ball lever

Mine pulled right out as you said. 87D2BF8B-B696-4EEA-9809-272E82E01FFD.jpeg

You have H-40. At least in the photos you posted. Not easy to see but I circled it here.
1F8BD800-4E53-49A2-B25C-554623F1A452.webp

H-39 - Reverse trip ball lever

Mine pulled right out as you said.

You have H-40. At least in the photos you posted. Not easy to see but I circled it here.
That looks EXACTLY like mine.

20220821_133032.jpg

Maybe you can even see how mine is bent......

I measured mine just now.

0.792 (20.10) close enough.

The OD on my balls are 6.35/6.34/6.35 mm.

I still don't see that H40 part on the Bridgeport parts diagram, and I don't remember seeing it on my machine either. But keep on mind that the photo I posted is just found a photo I found on line that showed the location of the screw and triple ball. Mine is simar but not identical. Here is the BP parts breakdown.

Screenshot_20220821-132446_Chrome.jpg]

But it really doesn't matter. At this point, I think I have extremely high confidence that our triple ball units are the same and I'm prepared to go ahead and order one to find out!

So, I'll call your supplier tomorrow!

THANK YOU EVER SO MUCH for doing this for me and especially for having the courage to pull yours out for me. :D

Back