• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Brass $5 pound

I think I’m going to try and find time, in the next week, to make the trip up. Six feet will last me a long time, but it seems like a price I can’t pass.

There is a posting in materials on a guy selling brass in Airdrie, Albert’s. A friend bought some 1/2 “ square 3 foot pieces from him.

If anyone is interested, I am going to meet this guy tomorrow morning. I’m planning to pick up a couple of 3/4” bars of brass. Maybe a 1” bronze, but not sure I can bring myself to cut up that much waste. I only need <3/4”, 1mm thick rings/bands.

He says he has another alloy that he’s not sure about. Says it’s more of a brown colour. No idea what it might be.

If anyone is interested in me picking something up for them, let me know. We can work out payment and pickup details. I live just off the 401 near Brockville.

Shoot me a conversation, so I get an email notification.

Well ok, I'm back for a couple days and last night had the chance to cut and face a small piece of the mystery metal.

I did find some more markings but none but one got a hit (kinda) pointing to Aluminum Bronze

Also here is a face comparison (best I could do with my phone quickly) of the known 1" bearing bronze C932 (SAE660) and our mystery metal :)

I apologize for my crummy editing skills

Mystery metal markings1.jpg

QQC465 hit Aluminum BronzeMystery metal markings2.jpgMystery metal markings3.jpg

known bronze 1" and mystery 1.5" both faced.
1inch bearing Bronze.jpgbronze vs mystery metal.jpg

Back