• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Brass $5 pound

Well now, I'm in need of brass but I'm here in BC. I would appreciate a foot or two of 1-1/2" and 2" if its 360. Even adding $60 for postage its a deal.

Any chance you could pick up a bit extra for me?
If I head out there I'd be willing to ship you some.

To be worth my while to make the trip I'd need to buy at least $300 worth for myself. I may do that but I have yet to get a response to my inquiry

Maybe @Susquatch could help us devise a ‘CHMW group’ purchase of material that could become ‘available’ CHMW Inventory that could be utilized by members and paid for with a ‘pay per piece used’.

We all pay too much for materials because our quantities are small (per member).

If we could ‘pool’ the requirements from the membership, then we would be able to provide more cost effective material options for individuals.
This would require ‘regional’ storage sites at a few ‘members’ facilities, probably near high population areas.

Maybe @Susquatch could help us devise a ‘CHMW group’ purchase of material that could become ‘available’ CHMW Inventory that could be utilized by members and paid for with a ‘pay per piece used’.

We all pay too much for materials because our quantities are small (per member).

If we could ‘pool’ the requirements from the membership, then we would be able to provide more cost effective material options for individuals.
This would require ‘regional’ storage sites at a few ‘members’ facilities, probably near high population areas.
I like that idea. And I am sure we all have a pool of spare material that could be shared/bartered as needed. Since MetalStupidMarket dropped 12L14 and most red metals, it has been a royal pain to buy the stock I need at a decent price here in BC. I use McMaster for short stock as needed but the cost + shipping + tax is nuts. Scrap yards have some stock, but the mystery metal factor makes me gun shy.

This is a good idea and I would be willing to be a relay point if this is going to happen.

If I head out there I'd be willing to ship you some.

To be worth my while to make the trip I'd need to buy at least $300 worth for myself. I may do that but I have yet to get a response to my inquiry
I will PM my contact info. About a foot of 1-1/4, 1-1/2 and 2" would be perfect. More is good too. If theres bearing bronze, I would take some of the smaller stuff.

It's a great idea so I'll think about it Len.

It isn't immediately obvious to me how to make that work. The forum barely has enough cash to fund a few meetups. Even so, member donations are often required to make ends meet.

I think a material crib would require a very significant cash layout and even then would prolly only really work with the most common materials and sizes.

Another thought is to create a stock catalog of some kind where members let other members know what "extra stock" they have that they are willing to sell. This avoids the forum having to buy stock.

Anyways, it's a good idea that lots of us would appreciate if we can make it work.

The ‘Stock Catalogue’ would be the way to begin.
All members have excess materials that could be listed as ‘available’
Usually that ’available’ material collects dust and rusts for years.

Then shipping and getting it to the end user would take some arranging.

I haven't received any reply from my DM either @TorontoBuilder.

@LenVW , I just noticed you use 'CET' and I'm wondering if you may have gone to Seneca or RCC?
This is my work history . , .
I apprenticed as a machinist in the 1980s working on knee style vertical mills, surface grinders and heavy boring mills while making cutter heads and carbide cartridges for Ex-Cell-O.

When the recession hit in 1985, many machine shops were left without contracts.

I went back to school for Machinery Design at Fanshawe College in London, Ontario. It was an co-op technical course and I spent three years of work terms at Kellogg’s Engineering.
Following the completion of Kellogg’s Project 2000 in 1990, I was recruited by a company in the farmland North of London and designed patented machinery for the production of corrugated HDPE pipe. We did plant setups and new process investigations which led me to working in Norway and Australia.
During first few years I earned my Certified Engineering Technician (CET).

While I worked at the corrugated HDPE pipe company I took courses and graduated from the Ivey Business School at Western University (CIM).

I have also designed large weldments for precast concrete structural elements and industrial steel fabrications with a millwrighting company.

I have done technical sales and project management for the last 20 years and was an SME for the implementation of a PLM system at SIHI Engineered Vacuum Systems in Guelph.

Now I am working (part-time) to keep the supply chain up to speed for an automotive parts and industrial parts company.

I saw this and am interested enough to take the drive to pick up some lengths. If anyone between Ottawa and Toronto wants to take a risk on some I may be able to facilitate a pick up for you. I may have to cut some pieces though
IF you can get a hold of this guy, I can help facilitate at this end in Ottawa.
The seller briefly made contact with me but then went cold when I wanted to purchase less than a full rod.

IF you can get a hold of this guy, I can help facilitate at this end in Ottawa.
The seller briefly made contact with me but then went cold when I wanted to purchase less than a full rod.
Sounds like he is not interested in cutting it up. That’s a bad sign he maybe tempted to scrap it all. If you can contact him see if he will go for a full rod, get a price and work from there.

This is my work history . , .
I apprenticed as a machinist in the 1980s working on knee style vertical mills, surface grinders and heavy boring mills while making cutter heads and carbide cartridges for Ex-Cell-O.

When the recession hit in 1985, many machine shops were left without contracts.

I went back to school for Machinery Design at Fanshawe College in London, Ontario. It was an co-op technical course and I spent three years of work terms at Kellogg’s Engineering.
Following the completion of Kellogg’s Project 2000 in 1990, I was recruited by a company in the farmland North of London and designed patented machinery for the production of corrugated HDPE pipe. We did plant setups and new process investigations which led me to working in Norway and Australia.
During first few years I earned my Certified Engineering Technician (CET).

While I worked at the corrugated HDPE pipe company I took courses and graduated from the Ivey Business School at Western University (CIM).

I have also designed large weldments for precast concrete structural elements and industrial steel fabrications with a millwrighting company.

I have done technical sales and project management for the last 20 years and was an SME for the implementation of a PLM system at SIHI Engineered Vacuum Systems in Guelph.

Now I am working (part-time) to keep the supply chain up to speed for an automotive parts and industrial parts company.
That's awesome! and Norway and Australia! I certainly would have enjoyed that kind of experience.

In 86 I finished school in Toronto from RCC (Radio College of Canada) for electronics engineering as an 'associate' CET as needed field experience. At the time I did not want to stay in Toronto but as you mentioned the recession was not kind to newbies. So I ended up with the federal government and it was for the most part easy and comfortable.

I thank you for your story, much much more interesting than mine absolutely :)

I would definitely be interested in a couple of bars of 3/4”.
I use brass for my pen mandrels. But I use Bronze and Nickel silver for trim pieces on my pens, if he has some 3/4” in those.

I could offer a pit stop along the 401.

So
I just went and picked up these two 1.5" 68" and 6ft round bars from him
I could just make out the printed numbers 10847 on em (there are 3 or 4 more of the same bars there. These numbers do all seem to be proprietary so I just don't know and cant guess. Maybe I blundered big but definitely didn't want to loose out on a possible great opportunity) but went with the swirls as mentioned are a feature of bronze rolled

when we got to talking (really nice guy and a welder by trade) He got this lot from a closing metal or machine shop. Apparently even at $5 a lb people are trying to haggle and it was clearly pissing him off as he had did his homework based of the cost of brass. Though he does not know the grades but mentioned people were asking about 360 specifically. He also mentioned that his intention is to keep half of it. He was quite happy with cash and not needing to cut it though he did offer a grinder to 'see inside' I guess to try visually grading it. (I declined because it wouldn't have helped me really)

I wont have a chance to try machining a bit because I'm heading on vacation out of town in the morning for a week.

anyway, I thought I'd share

Attachments

• thumbnail1.jpg
    thumbnail1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 14
  • thumbnail2.webp
    thumbnail2.webp
    53.7 KB · Views: 14
  • thumbnail3.jpg
    thumbnail3.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 14
4 pieces total? What did that set you back, if you don't mind sharing....
2pc: 1 68" and 1 6ft

68lb so $340 (my favorite is no tax)

but consider this, local brass at 'Metal Pros' here in Ottawa is 1.5" round bar of brass (360 is all they offer) is $129.99 per foot

'if' this is bronze (which I'm doubting as I'm a pessimist) the cheapest bronze is $160 per foot

It looks more like bronze to my eye but they are related cousins. The number, even as a suffix to a part number does not really correspond common alloys. Who knows, It will make a fine cannon. Just go easy on the powder initially LOL

1719547889453.webp

Back