• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Box and Pan Work

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Nope. I made a strategic decision years ago not to work in AL. Almost everything I make is steel, occasionally copper or brass.
Hmm, ok.
I’m trying to fab up a set of shelves and am thinking I’d like a drawer at the top. Then thought of this thread as a way to make the drawer. I guess for design purposes the material used doesn’t matter

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Hmm, ok.
I’m trying to fab up a set of shelves and am thinking I’d like a drawer at the top. Then thought of this thread as a way to make the drawer. I guess for design purposes the material used doesn’t matter
Well AL is certainly easier to bend. I just didn't want two different welding setups for steel and AL, different grinding wheels and brushes, etc. I just always liked steel, including it's appearance when it rusts.

You can easily fashion a brake for AL from long piece of steel angle iron, without having to invest in an expensive commercial machine. So there's that benefit as well.