• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Box and Pan Work

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Slow day in the shop...just some box and pan work. Accidentally had video instead of photo button pushed for first one, but does show the notcher in action:

1620535226992.png

1620535197019.png

1620535256164.png

1620535280555.png

1620535314165.png

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I can't make big nice boxes like that with my little equipment but I find making metal boxes rewarding. I should probably "up" my equipment and skills because I find it so rewarding.
I love that notcher. Is that SS you're working with? It's hard to tell in the pic.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Wow, notcher made short work of that piece of metal. Nice. And are the corners then TIG welded?

I've got to figure out a workflow to upload little, no-frills video bits like that. I have no particular interest or time for channel but sometimes a video clip just contains more info than pictures & keyboard hammering. I'm kind of straddling between computer & software upgrades right now, so video is on the To Do list.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I can't make big nice boxes like that with my little equipment but I find making metal boxes rewarding. I should probably "up" my equipment and skills because I find it so rewarding.
I love that notcher. Is that SS you're working with? It's hard to tell in the pic.
Not SS, just cold rolled 18 gauge. But you are right, with the right machines it is very satisfying and rewarding.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Wow, notcher made short work of that piece of metal. Nice. And are the corners then TIG welded?

I've got to figure out a workflow to upload little, no-frills video bits like that. I have no particular interest or time for channel but sometimes a video clip just contains more info than pictures & keyboard hammering. I'm kind of straddling between computer & software upgrades right now, so video is on the To Do list.
Sometimes I TIG them. But these are just MIG'd as I was in a hurry. I need to rethink my TIG setup I think; maybe attach the plate I use to TIG on to some hinges that fold up on my welding table so I can sit down. It's such a hassle to get the TIG setup I don't use it as much as I'd like.

WRT video, I don't have a channel per se. I just drop videos on YouTube so I can share them using the URL with forum members or family. I have no interest in becoming one of those people whose lives are taken over by editing videos and thinking up new stuff every day. I can barely sustain my own interest these days.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Do you sometimes leave “tabs” to fold and spot weld? What makes you pick one or the other Pete?

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I used to make tabbed boxes a lot before I got the air notcher. They are a great option if you like to rivet. I don't have a spot welder so I've never done that, although you could punch and spot weld I guess. But that is more work. Once I got the air notcher I stopped making tabbed boxes mostly. That's because a standard notcher doesn't lend itself to tabs w/o big modifications. A lot of the boxes I make I want liquid-tight, or corner welded so small chips can't escape—that's why I weld instead of using tabs. I do make "discret tabs" though—which is a standard notched corner, overlaid with a folded strip of metal that is riveted around the corner, kind of like a tape reinforcement on the corner of a shoebox if that makes sense. For example, a folded copper/brass strip riveted on to a standard notched steel corner looks cool, especially if you do some decorative work to the copper/brass. If you use solid rivets instead of pop rivets, you get a nicer inside finish.

The air notcher is so fast it's impossible to resist using a machine that can cut those patterns for an entire box in less than 10 seconds.

People think it is tough to weld corners, and it can be with TIG (which I prefer). But it is super easy to do with MIG if you stitch weld, and go slowly like auto body work. You can get a perfect corner (on the outside at least ) without much sanding at all. It just takes a little hand dolly work and a grinder. If you want perfection you can buff to a mirror finish even. I prefer 18 or 20 gauge because it is tough, can be MIG'ed easily, bent easily, and is about the lowest you can go w/o needing a folded safety edge.

1620586790280.png

Last edited:

ShawnR

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have tried making boxes a few times but they are ugly! I am sure good equipment and practice is key to this type of work. Nice stuff Pete. Thanks for posting.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Do you mig the inside or outside of the corner? Interesting Pete as usual.
Most of the time, just the outside John. They have always held for my purposes. I have done some welding on inside corners, but the cleanup is tough. You need a carbide pyramid/sharp point cone burr on a die grinder to get in there, and then you risk cutting out your metal or outside weld even. There is no sanding tool to do inside corners I have ever found that works well. So I just do the outside corners, clean up the inside with acetone, and carry on. If it is mission critical WRT leaks, I do the outside corner and make it look nice, then do the inside corner but don't clean it up with a burr. When painted you never know the difference.

1620589346107.png

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
Gosh, I've made boxes and pans for so many things and people over the years it's hard to recall. This particular one (now painted green) is for me. It goes below my grease guns in my shop to catch the drips. (All grease guns weap in hot weather).
1620607385444.png

1620612033207.png

But some other examples are control boxes for electronics, machine guards, chip trays for machinery, drip trays for BBQ's, water boxes for plasma cutters, tool trays, scrap bins for off-cuts, metal drawers, etc. One of my friends is a millionaire gold hobbyist. Every year I make and modify hobby gold sluices for him to take up north and play in the mud looking for paydirt. He never does find anything significant, but has lots of fun doing it...and I get to make these machines for him. It's kind of like those crazy TV shows like Yukon Gold—but on a much smaller hobby scale. These devices always need box and pan work.

1620607879218.png

1620607995479.png

1620612757330.png

1620608172683.png

1620608371122.png

1620609483003.png

1620608471981.png

There are so many uses for the skill, it's great to be able to do this. @DPittman in the thread mentioned it was "rewarding," and I agree; because you can make so many useful things with box and pan skills, you always feel like it was a good use of time and material. Hope that answers your question.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Is this the same tray?

1620608371122-png.14692

Everett

Super User
Nice boxes! I miss having access to sheet metal machinery, we had shears, brakes, nibblers, spot welder, etc. at the school where I taught. Was very handy having access to that sort of stuff.