• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Borrow or rent a small Gantry in calgary?

The auction bug bit me again and I bid on this:

It probably weighs 1000-1300 lbs based on comparative weights for older 12-16" jointers.

Anyone in Calgary have a Gantry I can rent/borrow for a few days? I looked at rental companies and the cost is northward of $150/day for a gantry with hoist. I have a 14' trailer available to move it around fully assembled.

mickeyf

Looks like a great deal! Too far away to help, but I have moved heavier machines than that easily with no crane. Older lathes that had those type of legs, I lifted each end with an engine lift and then put a platform dolly under each end. Strapped it down to the platforms and rolled away.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Older lathes that had those type of legs, I lifted each end with an engine lift and then put a platform dolly under each end. Strapped it down to the platforms and rolled away.

This is good advice, carts FTW

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Its getting it on and off the trailer which is 18" higher than my garage floor. Once on the garage floor I can pipe/skate it around.

i realize that, suggestions were given in your other duplicate thread....

a sheet of 3/4 plywood and a couple 2x6's could make you a quick and dirty ramp.....or hire a picker for an hour

Got it off the trailer with an engine hoist. Was sketchy at times. had my lovely wife standing on one back corner of the hoist to counter balance the 'heavy' end of the jointer (twin leg casting and 3 hp Baldor on that end). Into the teardown (there isnt much to these things) and off to source some new bearings for the spindle.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Love to hear some more details and see some pictures! What is the cutting width? Square head or more modern? What are the specs on the motor that came with it? What do you plan to use it for?

Craig

I'll get some pics up.

Its a Cowan & Co 12" jointer with a round cutterhead. It may have originally been babbit bearings, but there are two large F.A.G. 'Pillow Blocks' there now, with roller bearings in each that seem like a retrofit. Its newer looking than anything in the catalogs on VintageMachinery.org so I'm guessing 1920-1930's vintage?

What am i going to use it for? I threw in a max bid of $400 in the auction for 'sh*ts and giggles' and got it for somewhere around $375+ fees (about 450 all in IIRC). I figured the 3HP Baldor 1ph TEFC motor was prolly worth almost that by itself if nothing else. Now that I have it home I think it'll clean up nicely for resale. Its just too big for my shop, and I already have a Hammer A3-31 combo planer-jointer that is 310mm (12" wide) in alot smaller footprint. New bearings will cost me $280 (130 ea) and prolly another $30-40 in sharpening the blades. I've seen 8" jointers go for $1000, so a 'old iron' wide bed jointer like this one should fetch $1500-ish.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Ahh that makes a little more sense.

If your just going to sell it I see 1210k bearings for as cheap as 25$ a piece on the real low end (Ali), or average around 70 a piece (Canada/us)

I get that your obviously looking as some much higher end ones than those...but will the average buyer pay you for the nicer bearings?

unless your doing it more for fun than to make a few bucks and want to make it as nice as possible...then disregard

Ahh that makes a little more sense.

If your just going to sell it I see 1210k bearings for as cheap as 25$ a piece on the real low end (Ali), or average around 70 a piece (Canada/us)

I get that your obviously looking as some much higher end ones than those...but will the average buyer pay you for the nicer bearings?

unless your doing it more for fun than to make a few bucks and want to make it as nice as possible...then disregard

SKF 1210K are $130 each. Why skf? Because thats how I roll. I dont buy junk from Ali.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
SKF 1210K are $130 each. Why skf? Because thats how I roll. I dont buy junk from Ali.

I wouldn't buy the Ali bearings either, probabaly fail in an hour of use, but for something I was just going to sell, I would definitely throw in some cheaper but adequate nsk's

"For something I was going to sell". I guess you and I have different standards. I would never put a set of bearings in something with the knowledge they were garbage quality. Great, I'd make more margin, and quite possibly knowingly screw the next owner. Why? I dont understand this mentality...

Last edited by a moderator:

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
"For something I was going to sell". I guess you and I have different standards. I would never put a set of bearings in something with the knowledge they were garbage quality. Great, I'd make more margin, and quite possibly knowingly fuck the next owner. Why? I dont understand this mentality...

I don't consider nsk bearings garbage, and I don't think anyone does (other than you obviously), nsk, NTN, skf...all high quality bearings

I said I wouldn't use the Ali bearing either, I was putting other options out there...from the very cheap to the average

Last edited by a moderator: