• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Supplies Better portable bandsaw blades

Supplies

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Having done some cutting with my new portable bandsaw I'm on the hunt for better blades than the Morse brand blades I bought on sale at KMS.After only a few cuts the 14/18 tooth version it has lost all its teeth in a spot about three inches long. The result is a jerky, pulsing cut at the toothless section passes through the cut.
The Morse blades were only $20 for three so maybe I was expecting too much.
Definitely looking for something that lasts more than a few cuts.

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I am using the provided blade from MAXXT Tools (10/14 tpi),
but, I just ordered (2) FOXBC bi-metal blades (24tpi) as a backup.
I wanted to get a higher tpi count for cutting plate.
They are all 44-7/8” x 1/2”. (FOXBC blades were $14/pair)

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I am using the provided blade from MAXXT Tools (10/14 tpi),
but, I just ordered (2) FOXBC bi-metal blades (24tpi) as a backup.
I wanted to get a higher tpi count for cutting plate.
They are all 44-7/8” x 1/2”. (FOXBC blades were $14/pair)
Thanks Len, I'll be interested in how you get on with them. I'm very underwhelmed with the bi-metal Morse blades. In contrast, during the time I had my horizontal saw I put a new blade (Lenox maybe) on it and it cut likely at least 12 or 14 inches of combined metal thickness and I expect it's still cutting fine for @YotaBota

LenVW

Premium Member
LENOX is a well rated brand. FOXBC are rated in the top five.
Quality of any tool seems to vary quite a bit.
One purchase seems great and the next is garbage !!

trlvn

Ultra Member
I've used R&D Bandsaws for wood cutting blades for years. They also sell a couple of styles of metal cutting blades and I intend to snag one of those for my portable bandsaw:

I didn't check how much they'd charge you for shipping. They're based in Brampton, ON.

Craig

LenVW

Premium Member
Craig,
Thanks for your note but R&D Bandsaws work mainly with wood.
I am cutting 1018, A36 and 6061-T6 aluminum.

trlvn

Ultra Member
Len:

R&D supplies all kinds of bandsaw blades including metal-cutting. The link I supplied is metal cutting blades.

Craig

LenVW

Premium Member
OK - Thanks Craig.
I may stop in there in the next few weeks and see what they have in stock.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Lenox Tools 8010738PW145 Wolf-Band Portable Band Saw Blade, 44-7/8-Inchx1/2-Inchx0.020-Inch 14 TPI, 5-Pack https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004EVMZ36/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_DA1YS92PXYZ8Z6P42E0S?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a pack of these, I'm still on the first blade.....it has cut probabaly 100pcs of 5/8 stainless threaded rod, about 3ft of 1/4 ms flat bar, and 1 chromoly socket 1 5/8...that I can remember, it's missing about an inch worth of teeth, but still sharp and still cuts excellent

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I've had a local sharpening business make up Lenox blades from a bulk roll and I believe it was considerably cheaper than pre-made retail versions of the same. You might check that option out.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I use Lenox blades in my portaband. I used to buy them at Lowes in a 3 pack, but they no longer carry them (last I checked anyway). I think i've got a few left, but should probably order some more.

I've never wore one out, they usually break due to me doing something stupid and pinching them.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Mine identify as crappy :p
I might order a set of Lenox blades. I babied the Morse ones to break them in and it didn't seem to make much difference.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Lenox Tools 8010738PW145 Wolf-Band Portable Band Saw Blade, 44-7/8-Inchx1/2-Inchx0.020-Inch 14 TPI, 5-Pack https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B004EVMZ36/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_DA1YS92PXYZ8Z6P42E0S?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I bought a pack of these, I'm still on the first blade.....it has cut probabaly 100pcs of 5/8 stainless threaded rod, about 3ft of 1/4 ms flat bar, and 1 chromoly socket 1 5/8...that I can remember, it's missing about an inch worth of teeth, but still sharp and still cuts excellent
The Morse ones from KMS were on sale for $20 for 3. Regular price was $22.
I'd rather pay more for a better blade.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
The Morse ones from KMS were on sale for $20 for 3. Regular price was $22.
I'd rather pay more for a better blade.

for sure, if you look at all the buying options amazon prime is 40$ for a 5 pack, that buck or 2 more is definitely worth it

Brian H

Super User
Having done some cutting with my new portable bandsaw I'm on the hunt for better blades than the Morse brand blades I bought on sale at KMS.After only a few cuts the 14/18 tooth version it has lost all its teeth in a spot about three inches long. The result is a jerky, pulsing cut at the toothless section passes through the cut.
The Morse blades were only $20 for three so maybe I was expecting too much.
Definitely looking for something that lasts more than a few cuts.
I have been using the Lennox Wolf- band (14/18t) with good success. I needed a blade for a quick and dirty aluminum job so I grabbed a 10/14t from Princess Auto and was very surprised at how well it cut. I left it in the saw to see what the longevity was like on steel (up to 3/4" thick) and have been very impressed. I'd certainly use them again and its close (I have to mail order the Lennox blades)