• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

BB vs KBC drill bits

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
I found myself buying set after set after set for years, until I stumbled across a booth at the Red Deer Agri-trade show (the vendor booth section is the reason I go -- I'm not looking at farm machinery). The vendor was Red Deer Bolt www.reddeerbolt.com, and the branch of drill bit is 'Champion', and comes in a round container (picture of a set here on Amazon amazon link )

I bought a jobber set 4 years ago, and a second 'mechanics' set 2 years ago. I had a couple of bits break in the second set, but overall they stay sharp, cut well and I haven't bought a drill bit since. I've only resharpened maybe 3 or 4 bits in that time.

I can't remember what I paid, but 100 - 120 seems about right.

For drilling larger than 1/2" I use a product called super-drill, which I also bought at the Agri-Trade show. Basically it is an arbor that you mount a piece of HSS and it cuts holes up to 3 1/2" inches (depending on which arbors you bought). Works very very well. Simply drill a pilot hole (1/2"), put the arbor in it, and then with very little pressure drill holes to whatever dimension you want link: superdrill link I believe the couple I bought from have the distribution rights to 'super drill' in alberta (they live on an acreage just outside of red deer). The tool is very simple and if you have a lathe, you can make one. Watch some of the videos, it's that easy. And what I like about it is that it cuts without binding so you don't have to worry about breaking your wrists etc.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
There must be a reason super drill didn't catch on other than rather over the top price. Even the Chinese didn't seem to want to copy it. Patent expired so making it & selling it is legal. I can see it as being too slow for the industry & way to imprecise but for making a quick hole it seems legit.

I am also a bit surprised they even got a patent - it seems to work on the same principle as a boring head. It actually looks like a two step boring bar.

Wait come to think of it I seen a video on youtube of a super old two step boring bar home made... I guess there is a reason they would not patent in the US. They don't have representation in the US nor EU, In Canada they have someone in SK only.

I guess now I know that I can simply put some of these boring bars in a drill press or a milling machine - also would be of great use in a MAG drill.

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
For 1/2 plate the holes are pretty accurate. What I like is that the consumable (HSS) is cheap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well if you have boring bar you already have one. For 1" holes the stick out from 1/2" boring bar is 1/4" max.

Same from 1" boring bar - stick out is 1/4" max for 1.5" hole.

Obviously you can use carbide as well. Something to experiment on the drill press with.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member

kevin.decelles

Premium Member
Yes, champion is the drill bit vendor I mentioned , I get their product out of red deer bolt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk