• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Bandsaw out feed table.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
My King came with a secondary vise. I think it is for close in work, as discussed here. But I have no idea where I have it stashed. I've never needed it. This has been my favourite saw for years.

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Here is a video showing some mods that one guy did to his bandsaw, including the outfeed table and the longer jaws.

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There might be another aspect to why most of us are trying to improve these saws: if the raw stock we use was only $0.10/lb, I bet many would not hesitate to just lob off a piece and call it good. As long as the cut is better than what a beaver would do, we’d be happy. If the stock then becomes too short, it would be a “hobby drop“: a little cousin to the kind of stuff we‘re all after from a machine shop, or the scrap yard (in the days when it was still allowed to scavenge in them). But since that is not the case (the price is high), even a short piece is turned into something useful, necessitating a band saw to be way more than what it was designed to be... a “precision cutting tool”. Don’t get me wrong, absolutely nothing wrong with improving something and making it safer as well. I for one have spent quite some time to align the blade guide rollers to be just so, and the CI jaws, so that I get a nice, straight cut.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Good link Hruul. That is precisely what I was contemplating. He has a very good idea there with integral jack screw out near the opposite end to help balance the unequal jaw pressure cutting short stubby lengths.

Lots of times Ive had to cut something of 'high value' in the saw. Like a thick section part that has seen hours of lathe/mill work but no good way to part it off in the lathe. Another trick there is to grip the entire chuck in the saw vise with part in the chuck jaws. I dont like the swarf getting up inside the jaws though.

Attachments

• 2020-04-07_16-36-09.jpg
    2020-04-07_16-36-09.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 0

John Conroy

Premium Member
Here's my version of Janger's outfeed table. Pretty much a straight copy except for a couple of details. I used 3" X 3" X 1/4" angle too but to compensate for the angle of the saw casting I measured the gap at the top when the saw and the part were aligned. It was a little less than 1/8" so I button welded a piece of 1/8" X 1/2" flat bar to the table and by trial and error whittled it's thickness down until the alignment was spot on.

John Conroy

Premium Member
While I was at saw improvements I decided to add some of the mods shown in the links above. I have a piece of 1/2" X 7" hot rolled plate left over from another job so I used the new outfeed table to hold a couple of pieces length wise to rip them down to 4" wide, the same dimension as the jaws on my saw.

I drilled some 3/8" holes in both jaws and transfer punched, drilled and tapped corresponding holes in my extension jaws. I welded a tab on the movable jaw extension and tapped it to 1/2" 13tpi for the jacking screw. The jaw extensions are 1/4" from the blade when installed and work great for holding short pieces.

For the jacking screw I used a piece of 1/2" all thread rod and made a grip handle for it from a hockey puck. I drilled and tapped the center of the puck to 1/2" 13tpi and used Gorilla glue to bond it to the treads on the rod.

Last edited:

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
Here is a video showing some mods that one guy did to his bandsaw, including the outfeed table and the longer jaws.

I really like the idea of the permanently attached table.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Excellent! Its how these saw jaws should have been designed to begin with. Although I get it - they assumed blade standoff was required when the jaws swivel for miter cuts. But 99% of my cuts are lopping off perpendicular so I'd rather have the jaws close. And because the plates are are bolt on/off its best of both worlds.

Unnecessary frill but this threaded portion could benefit from a quick nut (is that what they are called?). Only reason I mention is I was looking for similar hardware for another project & couldn't find them. Anybody know of a source? They would be a pita to make.

I think John has 700 hockey pucks to use up & this is application number 394! Great idea.

Attachments

• 2020-04-14_12-40-01.jpg
    2020-04-14_12-40-01.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 0
  • SNAG-4-14-2020 0000.jpg
    SNAG-4-14-2020 0000.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 0

John Conroy

Premium Member
That was my last puck and I had to find a use for it! lol I like the quick nut idea.

Last edited:

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I finished my bandsaw project of adding a fence to it. About 90min of video. Total is 9 parts. Here is part 1, 2 and 3. Just change the title number all the way to 9:

Imagine that these 9 parts are all 1Gb of data each plus source video - these guys posting stuff online must have huge data storage resources. Google data centers must be able to store enormous amounts of data.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Its great you are posting videos Tom. Wow, multi-tasking between machines.

Sooner or later I'm going to venture into YouTube/video format (15 years after its a 'thing' haha). Nothing serious, just to utilize movie clips as another dimension to convey information above photo & text. My biggest thing is figuring out a video editor. I'm watching some how-to learning on PS Elements. Was setting up your account & uploading straightforward? Or maybe you should start a 'how to become a Youtube celebrity' post. Maybe others have some input & learnings on that front. I don't even watch TV anymore. Youtube channels are my go-to source.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
I used OpenShot editor - it is a free little editor. There are lots of functions but I mostly just stitch together stuff and add few pictures. There are like dozens of cool transitions available and maybe even some other cool stuff. It takes a long time to edit a video even in such basic fashion, over 10min to create output and over 10 min to upload it.

CalgaryPT

Ultra Member
Vendor
Premium Member
I finished my bandsaw project of adding a fence to it. About 90min of video. Total is 9 parts. Here is part 1, 2 and 3. Just change the title number all the way to 9:

Imagine that these 9 parts are all 1Gb of data each plus source video - these guys posting stuff online must have huge data storage resources. Google data centers must be able to store enormous amounts of data.
Bonus points for the video work Tom. Nicely done.