Bamboozled

Perry

Ultra Member
@Doggggboy @Darren

You gents finding this thing make a lot of strange noises?

You gents using Bambu filament? Tried anything else yet?
I'm thinking of trying a few other brands. Worried about the spool sizes. Found this spreadsheet online. Might help.

Doggggboy
I was aware that you can turn off the "dance".

What I'm thinking is there is a lot there to be stream lined. Bed leveling, 3 checks at each of 36(6 across and was it 6 deep) points? It knows my footprint. It does a print sweep of the foot print before it prints. Just bed level my foot print. Maybe 2 checks each point. The heat to the print head is turned off at one point and when it gets done its checks the head parks and waits to warm up. The warm up could start as it gets close to finishing up with the checks. I can see a few other things that could re-evaluated. However , you are right....it is worth it for a successful print. You have to take into account I complain about the microwave being slow. ;)

@Dan Dubeau
I was at the same point. Build. Buy. Tough choice. The plan ended up being the P1S. The issue was it had such a delayed shipping date. Changing the print nozzle and extruder gears out to the hardened ones would have been cheaper version of the X1 and just as capable. A fiber laser engraver/cutter is on my list too. (Still pretty high in price for something worth while.) I might take a trip to China this year. I'll be sure to hunt something down.

Darren,
5kgs. Sounds like that machine has been going non stop. Care to share the fails? Machine issue? User interface issue? :)

Doggggboy,
I agree with you speed isn't everything. I would give up the speed for consistent flawless prints. If you don't have to monitor the machine and it just prints......well time is on my side. My old machine printed fairly nice. I did not trust it alone. Read a few stories online and it could be bad. Really bad. haha. Come home to no house bad.

I seen that skull too. It will probably be printed here also. I need something to throw into one of the foundation holes they keep digging in my neighborhood. You will be able hear about it in the news soon. ;)

@Hruul
Thank you. It is nice. Nice and smooth. My old machine was pretty good too, but a lot more setup required.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
A few of my failed prints were bed adhesion issues, where the part moved. A few were wrong settings for the generic filament, had the wrong preset selected.

So far bambu filament has been the best/least hassle. The AMS know what you loaded and adjusts the settings. This is because the Bambu AMS has a code reader for Bambu filament spools. You don't get that with generic filament.

Overall i'm very happy. I've mostly downloaded the stl files from the various places, but have also designed and built some parts from scratch in the Bambu studio. If i can do it, anyone can.

Perry

Ultra Member
Testing a few different file handles out to see which one I like better.

So, now the playing has started. Preparing a print this evening using some old "generic" PLA.

The slice says Prepare Time 7m34s Model Printing Time 1hr37m Total Printing Time 1hr45m

The time with the same PLA but I selected the Bambu PLA Basic settings Prepare Time 7m27s Model Printing Time 1hr 16 min Total 1hr24min

20% faster print and all I did was use the Bambu settings instead of the Generic settings for the PLA.

For your viewing pleasure.....

Looks like a great print. No issues. Do you really think there is difference between the Bambu PLA filament and the regular PLA filament or are they just trying to get a better customer base for their products? I will keep using these settings until I find a problem.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I noticed the same thing when I ran some generic PLA. Print times went up. I tried it at the Bambu settings and did not have reliable results. I think the 'generic high speed pla' setting is the happy medium i settled on with good results. I'll know tomorrow when my skull is done printing. So far so good with generic pla.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I know speed isn't everything but this printed flawlessly in 27 hours on my X1 Carbon using polycarbonate filament at .2 layer height.
All the presets for temps and speed were the default.
Try slicing it with your slicer to see what potential print time you get.
This is stock PLA settings with 0.2 layer height, 20%infill from my Anet profile.
uvfxRRf.jpg

Knowing that the #'s aren't that accurate I'd say that it would be a few hours longer than that, IF the printer could ever make it that far without crapping the print.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
You're probably correct about that. I'm still learning here lol
I'm sure the regular supports will work just fine. In hindsight, I would probably print it in pieces next time.
Even the tree supports are a bitch to fish out of the skull through the neck and eye sockets.
I find myself sympathising with the ancient Egyptians.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I have a roll of support filament. But I'm not sure if this would be a good application for it. There would be a lot of filament changes. Even with flushing into infill enabled, on a print this long it would probably add considerable time to the print time. I should try slicing it just to see.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I have a roll of support filament. But I'm not sure if this would be a good application for it. There would be a lot of filament changes. Even with flushing into infill enabled, on a print this long it would probably add considerable time to the print time. I should try slicing it just to see.
I have a roll of support filament but have never used it. Filament is still cheap enough that I'm not too worried about wastage.
Most of the smaller prints use just one type or color of filament so no flushing required. I'm running a 12 hour print right now of 65 separate items done with 2 colors but it still only flushes on the color change for each layer so the purge tower is the same size for 65 items as it is for one.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Last edited:

Perry

Ultra Member
The time black hole sucked me in last night. I stayed up way too late trying different file handle designs I downloaded off line to see if I could find the best.

You can benefit from this. :) I give my Brass(gold colored ) Stamp of Approval on this model of file handle.
Nice size in hand. Comes with three models with different tang sizes designed into handle. Prints nice.
Screenshot 2024-02-03 at 19-05-33 Ergonomic File Handle for Nicholson Files by PvtDBJackson Do...png

Very similar to the Nicholson file handle.
https://www.rona.ca/en/product/cres...inserts-plastic-green-4-in-l-21474nn-01855387