Bamboozled

Perry

Ultra Member
How do you read this?

If you go to the Bambu Labs website and look at the X1Carbon Combo if shows "ETD: Current estimated lead time if you place an order today."
Further down the page it has "Lead time ETD:Ship before Jan 26th"

I would think this means if you order the item today it will be shipping before the 26th?

If you go to the Bambu LabCustomer service robot and inquire about it you get this.

"We will process and ship orders without ETA(Estimated Time of Arrival at Local Warehouses) products within 1-3 days after placing the order.

For orders with ETA(Estimated Time of Arrival at Local Warehouses) products, we follow the ETA shipping rules: After receiving international packages at overseas warehouses, they will be processed and shipped within 1-3 days according to our provided ETA. While we can not specify a delivery date until the product leaves the local warehouse, we will ship it as soon as possible and update you through email notifications.

You can find your order ETA in the order confirmation email from us."

Are ETA and ETD the same thing?

The way I read this is the item is shipped to the overseas warehouse (Canada). The local warehouse is most likely China. So this next line is what gets me.... "While we can not specify a delivery date until the product leaves the local warehouse, we will ship it as soon as possible and update you through email notifications."

So...the Jan26th ETD is crap?

Last edited by a moderator:

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
I've ordered several times from Bambu, printer, filament, parts.
Shipping from Vancouver to SK has been less than a week every time.
YMMV

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I ordered my X1C to my address across the border, and it took 4 days If i recall. I remember the ETA looking wonky though.

Perry

Ultra Member
So here I am 12 hours later (04:29 am local) checking the Bambu website and it shows the X1C as In Stock now.

But more interesting than that ....I got an email at 22:30 saying my printer has shipped. :)
I had an ETD of before Jan 19th. I was kind of disappointed on Friday evening.

The plan was to purchase a P1S and change the extruder and nozzle to be able to handle the more abrasive filaments. Save some money in the process.

The P1S was showing the Jan30 ETD and decided I could gain a couple weeks if I purchased the X1C. The P1S is still showing Jan 30th.

I don't think FedEx works on Sundays. Probably won't be picked up and moving until Monday.

Last edited by a moderator:

Perry

Ultra Member
Well I have a Bambu X1C. :) It didn't show up until the Jan 24th.

Now the good and bad. The printer showed up on my door step with no signature. The box was sitting on its side with the big red "GLASS FRAGILE THIS SIDE UP" arrows pointing off into the sunset. Probably the same direction the FedEx driver raced off towards.

BAD. There was a major gash in the corner of the box. 5" along one side and at least 2" deep into the other.
BAD. The Bambu site says not to accept a delivery if the shipping container looks damage.
GOOD. You can file a ticket online to report the issue and they will get back to you.

BAD. Zero customer support. They still have not gotten back to me.

So imagine Christmas morning and you told your kids, nope we are going to wait to open the presents. ;) Yes, that was me. I lasted one day. haha.
Took a chance and opened it up.

GOOD. The packaging of this product is next level. I am very impressed. There was no damage sustained to the printer.

So like any video online this thing is up and ready to go in short order. Printed the pre sliced benchy and wow. Fast and crazy good detail. The surface finish on the bed side was amazing.

So a few thoughts on it with very little time on it.

Prior to printing it does it's little "dance" Check flow, clean nozzle, bed level, etc. It is slow to start. I can see where there maybe areas to reduce this time and maybe that will come in future software.

It makes a lot of interesting noises that sound concerning. I spent a fair bit of time researching if this noise or that noise was normal. I do not want to wreck the machine. I have never seen (heard) one of these in real life working.

It is fast. Actually it scares me with some of the high speed moves it is making. I have a solid end table that I have it set up on and it can get that table shaking. As an X-Y machine the table starts at the top. All these high speed moves at the farthest point from the table surface. Lots of leverage there to get things shaking.

So far loading/unloading filament has been easy. I have a couple rolls that do not fit into the AMS and had to install them on the back of the machine to use them. That was easy, but had a few issues getting the machine to use the roll from the back of the machine. After a little reading on the web I found that prior to sending your print off to the machine you need to uncheck a box on AMS. Now that I know where it is, easy peazy. The AMS was trying to feed filament into the machine and I had the tube disconnected on the back, so it just feed filament into the room.

I didn't think I would use the camera feature. Something I had no use for......but I'm hooked already. I'm sitting here typing this and on the other screen I'm watching a print that is going on right now. On my old machine, I would get up and go check on it every 20 minutes or so. The time lapse video afterwards is kinda neat also, but the real time camera is something I can see myself using.

BAD The light inside the chamber is not very bright. You can see the object in the chamber but not make out too many of the details.

When you purchase a printer from Bambu they give you a 6 month membership to purchase filament from them at a reduced price. You can purchase up to 8 rolls each month. This evening I figured I would stock up on a few types/colors. The popular colors are sold out. It is the end of the month and my 8 roll could refreshes tomorrow. So I guess I will miss out on a few rolls. Hopefully they restock soon.

The slicer is straight forward. Different from the Cura slicer but similar enough that there are no big challenges. I'm sure if I was looking to do some fine tuning it would take me some time to find the exact place to do it, but will I need to? This thing is printing great the way it is set up. I have been using the Bambo PLA and some old PLA I have here. All of it prints fantastic. I purchased a few of the higher tech filaments but have not had a chance to try any of them yet. This was one of my reasons for purchasing this unit. I would like the ablility to print with PA(nylon) and ASA. The harden nozzle and extruder will also handle a lot of the carbon fiber type filaments.

So this evening I CAD'd this up.....

Crossslide chip cover.jpg

Cross slide Chip cover for my Atlas 12 lathe.

Presently it is printing. I'll post a photo back here shortly.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
It works.
You can disable most of the pre-print calibrations in the slicer or on the touchpad.
While they may seem to be wasting time, they do help reduce failed prints to a great extent. If I am going to do multiple prints I'll let them run for the first print and then disable for the rest.
Congrats on the new printer.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Congrats Perry. I will admit, I am getting closer and closer to just wanting to spend the money for a bambu, instead of keeping the dream alive of building a voron version someday. I'd rather have a laser cutter with that ficticious money though lol. The X1 does look very nice though. Great results out of the box.

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
my X1c has been a dream to use so far. Only a couple failed prints. Printed about 5 kg's since Christmas

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Congrats Perry. I will admit, I am getting closer and closer to just wanting to spend the money for a bambu, instead of keeping the dream alive of building a voron version someday. I'd rather have a laser cutter with that ficticious money though lol. The X1 does look very nice though. Great results out of the box.
I know speed isn't everything but this printed flawlessly in 27 hours on my X1 Carbon using polycarbonate filament at .2 layer height.
All the presets for temps and speed were the default.
Try slicing it with your slicer to see what potential print time you get.

Last edited:

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Thats funny, I was looking at that skull. Why polycarbonate? I was going to try PLA
Just because I've never tried it before as it needs an insane amount of heat and a closed cabinet, not things I could do on my Ender 3. 110C bed and 270C nozzle. It seems to be much harder and stiffer than PLA. The skull prints with an insane amount of supports but they all snapped off easily with no cleanup needed at all except for some ringing on the top of the skull. My wife ground that down with the dremel. I didn't think that would work because it always makes a mess with petg or pla but the PC is hard enough it just dusted it right off.
Bad news is I now have to print the rest of the skeleton.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Just be glad you only have to print the skeleton!
I sleep with one eye open these days since her new hobby has been learning how to do human remains detection with the dog.
If I spring a leak because I've done something dumb in the shop, instead of crazy glue and shop towels, now I have surgical bandages and ziplocs to save the bloody remains and then put them in the freezer that we don't talk about.

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I know speed isn't everything but this printed flawlessly in 27 hours on my X1 Carbon using polycarbonate filament at .2 layer height.
All the presets for temps and speed were the default.
Try slicing it with your slicer to see what potential print time you get.
I'll try it out tonight. I don't think either one of my printers would print a file that long without glitching somehow. I think the longest prints I ever did were around 12-14 hours. Part of the reason I want a better more current and faster printer is just so I can print the longer stuff more reliably. The kingroon is pretty good, but it's smaller, so even something "big" for that doesn't take that long.

Thanks for the skull model link. I would actually like to cast one in Al, and give lost pla a try sometime.

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
Thanks for the skull model link. I would actually like to cast one in Al, and give lost pla a try sometime.
That would be cool. I printed it all as one piece but the files give the option for three pieces, I think.
Some of the iterations I found are 18 pieces held together with magnets