• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Balloon in the sky with diamonds ?

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
LOL.....,
Every time a post like this pops up, my mind's eye wanderers off into the distance, up up and away...... And not unlike this here balloon it floats high above the country side, taking in the sights. Come dusk, off in the distance, a faint glow emerges from dimly lit window gently illuminating the golden tassels on the edge of a vast corn field. Inside we find a grizzled mountain of a beast, with more fur than Greta Garbo in the 50's..... He turns to his easy boy recliner, trusty phone in hand and settles to catch up with some old friends in his favorite hangout when a two bottom plow cuts a deep fuurow across his brow, up from his chair, and to the side table he goes. Into his favorite tumbler, two fingers of Scotch does he pour, he turns back to his chair, and with a shudder he stops, and places the glass back with a plop, picks up the bottle and heads to his chair, muttering away "From this dog, I'm gunna need a little hair ....)

.... He can't really get mad at me for poking a little fun if I don't use names, right?
Sounds like you guys went missing from the barber college forum.
Clippers are very different from a spring collet.
The hair of the dog is on the floor now, do you kids have a clean up crew ?
Probably going to need more than a paint brush to clean the mess up in here.
Attention moderator with the 6061 aero space home machined wing man, what do ya say?
You winning...

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
So, combing back to machinist forum material - what power of a laser would be needed to take out this balloon? I know US has anti drone lasers. I also know back in Soviet times Soviets had prototype laser tank. So why not poke a hole in it and let it safely deflate and fall down? Is it maybe that they would have to reveal it as weather balloon or is it b/c they do not have people that could help with a laser?

So, combing back to machinist forum material - what power of a laser would be needed to take out this balloon? I know US has anti drone lasers. I also know back in Soviet times Soviets had prototype laser tank. So why not poke a hole in it and let it safely deflate and fall down? Is it maybe that they would have to reveal it as weather balloon or is it b/c they do not have people that could help with a laser?
I think the concern is what might be contained within it..... Although I have never been able to pass a wasps nest without throwing rocks at it, it does sometimes lead to a nasty period of time in my life.....

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
I'm sure those who need to know what is it, know all they need to know about it by now.

While it's mildly concerning, it's also somewhat comical. A balloon? Really? You guys don't have spy satellites? What's next, Paper cups on long strings taped to the walls?

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
I'm sure those who need to know what is it, know all they need to know about it by now.

While it's mildly concerning, it's also somewhat comical. A balloon? Really? You guys don't have spy satellites? What's next, Paper cups on long strings taped to the walls?

I was hoping it would be filled with the old school pop rock candy.
However, the rocket I made last night just couldn't get me up close enough. I should have rolled up a stealth rocket.
As long as it isn't holy popping bat wing confetti, I figure we should be safe without a mask and 6 more shots of mother natures sunshine products.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

Recovery efforts are underway off coast near location where balloon was taken down, US official says​

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member

US fighter jets shot down spy balloon with a single missile, senior official says​

A single missile was used, the official said. The US military used F-22 aircrafts and fired an AIM-9X missile.

Kind of an expensive way to pop a balloon don't you think:rolleyes: Note it states multiple aircraft were involved.

Last edited:

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
A single missile was used, the official said. The US military used F-22 aircrafts and fired an AIM-9X missile.

Kind of an expensive way to pop a balloon don't you think:rolleyes: Note it states multiple aircraft were involved.

Likely fake news with fake money along with GI-Joe intelligence.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Did you know that in WW1 the allied forces were unable to bring down zeppelins despite them being filling with explosive hydrogen? Yep, they'd shot them full of dozens if not hundreds of holes yet they kept flying.

This lead the allies to develop incendiary rounds just to be able to defend against zeppelins

Helium on the other hand is inert. It takes more than a little prick with a flaming arrow to down such gas bags