• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Ball Bearing Collet Nuts

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks for that link. Interesting, their torque spec for ER40 is 128 NM which is 94 LB FT. Lots of other sources specify 130-140 LB FT for ER40. I guess I've been over tightening!
Hi John, you might be looking at the wrong nut on the Rego-Fix spec. sheet. Their standard ER40 collet nut suggests 176N for both the plain nut and bearing nut.

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I purchased a couple of ER40 nuts from ali express and one was perfect but one the slots for the wrench weren't milled deep enough so the wrench wouldn't fit on, I messaged for a refund and initially they refused but I think they thought the whole order but all I wanted was refund for one nut which I got so I figured here is my chance to make a machining wrong, right for once instead of the other way around.
1710781611317.jpeg
1710781664964.jpeg

1710781692880.jpeg
Ended up deciding on .016 per side
1710781942937.jpeg
Able to square everything up get the first one in place, and made the first cut beautiful, but then in typical fashion a challenge reared its head as I had not noticed that one of the jaws of the chuck had slipped out one round (Oh how we laughed about that) and as I started spinning it became obvious something was out so ended up having to re setup and this time I just used this method with the parrallel and the level indicator which worked in the end.
1710782497781.jpeg
1710782540866.jpeg So my final sweat equity 2 for one bearing nuts. Very happy with much easier one tightening.

1710782689113.jpeg

combustable herbage

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Wrench fit aside, how is the bearing nut functionality?
I have been using the other one for over a month and its the one I reach for, in fact it was motivation to get this job done as the mill and lathe were fighting over it. The collets snap in and are held well when threading in I have one that is very sloppy and the collets would slip out on occasion but no issues with these, my understanding is these are consumable so one day these will be replaced.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
The collets snap in and are held well when threading in I have one that is very sloppy and the collets would slip out on occasion

I've had the opposite problem with some ER20 nuts and some collets. They just won't snap in or out without really reefing on them. Others snap in and out like butter. I complained to the supplier. At first they gave me a hard time thinking I didn't know how to use them. But after telling them how I did it, and they agreed that my method was correct, they ordered replacements that are not here yet. TBD

I wish all nuts were labelled so you didn't have to examine the eccentric to know which way to cam them in.