Auction in Carstairs….. some interesting goodies

Bandit

Super User
Seems a lot of auctions are not worth dealing with any more. Sometimes the fees are the killers, can buy stuff new with accesserys at most of the prices.
Same old I guess, what it's thought to be worth, what it is worth new, what I have pay, to move, haul, clean it up, and or fix now are 3 VERY different prices. Which oftens mean buying new! Which means I make do with what I have, as best I can, as long as I can!
Ah, the good old days, standing around in the freezing cold, waiting for the lot number to be on the block, the auctioneer lowering the bid to get the first bite, the trill of biding at the last, barely "sneaking" it in , and getting the final top bid. Then the auctioneer says," the reserve wasn't met". And go home with nothing, but it was a good day, other then waiting for the 40 pails of rusty, burnt nails to sell.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Ah, the good old days, standing around in the freezing cold, waiting for the lot number to be on the block, the

That was an awesome read Kevin. Your only comment that didn't resonate with me was the reserve. Most auctions around here didn't have reserves. I usually didn't go to those that did. I miss those days too.

Bandit

Super User
Some auction don't have a reserve, some do and the auctioneer will/should say at the start of the bidding for the lot, and the biding doesn't start under that price. Hoowever, some put the screws to you, you have the last bid, auctioneer turns to the "person" with the reserve " will you take that bid?" Most don't mess around like that, the more time to take selling item the less money made on items to be sold later as people start leaving as day wears on.
Always liked Richey Bros. auctions, wasn't much messing about there. No bent rusty nails or shit like that,no 5 cent, 10 cent bull. Dollars only, 5 or 10 dollars on bit bigger stuff, no small bids on big stuff, $500 or so on bigger, the biggg stuff, some times nothing less then $1000 or $5000 bids. Sometimes 3 rings selling at same time. If equipment didn't make it to the ring, often moved to last lots to sell. But haven't been to those sales for some years now!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Does anyone actually physically attend the auction on sales day anymore?

Yes. Around here they do at farm auctions. But I don't lnoe how long it will last. Judging by all the grumbling personal attendance might not last for long.