• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Auction Haul

Rauce

Ultra Member
As mentioned in @Canadium ’s thread I also purchased some items from the same auction.

The highlights include:

Several comparator type indicator stands, two mitutoyo and one granite one that’s unbranded.

A dividing head with chuck

A sine plate

Two cylinder squares*

A nice tapping head (or tap collet holder?) which was a real steal at $15 complete with a full set of collets. It’s clutched but non-reversing. MT3 shank and collets with a MT2 bore in addition to the tap collets for drilling without changing the tool holder.

*It turns out that one of the cylinder squares is not really a cylinder square. Though it can be used as one and is very accurate for that purpose.

I was curious about these holes in the side so I looked up the patent number on the bottom. After some head scratching I figured out that it is a pneumatic plug gauge. It’s about .001” smaller than the nominal gage size stamped on the bottom. It’s inserted into the bore to be gauged and air is passed through the gage to the holes in the side. The change in pressure caused by air escaping through the bore provides a measurement.

91936C49-16EA-4359-AE23-7264E8401F98.jpeg 81707B8F-1976-4A43-BAE5-3B771D9298D0.jpeg 3FC7B354-3348-41BB-A4D5-E68E0248F465.jpeg

Awesome haul and a great auction with tons of neat stuff! I almost bid against you for the cylinder squares but ran out of money by then. Moore must be the cats meow for precision instruments. They literally wrote the books I think. Maybe we should co-ordinate to avoid bidding against each other next time!? Besides my RT I also got another height gauge + separate indicater stand with Shars indicator, and an Eclipse demagnetizer. When I was picking stuff up there was a guy there that got the parts washer for $5!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
You guys both made out like bandits! I'm jealous!

Nice scoops!

Great idea to coordinate. You can always flip a coin to see who bids if you can't decide.

That air gauge is cool!

Did the granite come with the one unit?

Rauce

Ultra Member
Awesome haul and a great auction with tons of neat stuff! I almost bid against you for the cylinder squares but ran out of money by then. Moore must be the cats meow for precision instruments. They literally wrote the books I think. Maybe we should co-ordinate to avoid bidding against each other next time!? Besides my RT I also got another height gauge + separate indicater stand with Shars indicator, and an Eclipse demagnetizer. When I was picking stuff up there was a guy there that got the parts washer for $5!
I believe it’s a different Moore company from looking at the patent but it’s still very well made. I have a shop built squareness comparator and by rotating the cylinder to check all the way around and confirming the diameter is constant from top to bottom you can check it. As best as I can tell it’s good to within a couple tenths.

The small granite block is a comparator stand from a lot that had the mitutoyo ones as well. It’s missing the indicator clamp for the vertical post, but could be a nice shop project for someone. I’ll be posting it in classifieds.

Next time I decide to go for some auction lots I’ll be sure to share here ahead of time!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That sounds SuperKool! I'd like to know more about that!

I find metrology fascinating. Haven't read the Moore books yet though. Will have to make that a priority for this winter!

Hey Ian, I'm on that same page too! I'm not familiar with Moore's books though.

But another thread on our forum recommended a book titled "Beyond Measure" by James Vincent. It is a history of metrology from cubits to quantum constants. I ordered it from England and it took forever to arrive.

Ive just started to read it now and was immediately struck by the author's rather excellent writing style. So far so good.

Please tell us more about Moore's books!

There are 3 volumes;
Precision Hole Location, 1946
Holes, Contours and Surfaces, 1954
Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy, 1999, Wayne R. Moore

I found the last one available online as a free pdf. The intro to the third book says it all! These volumes are mentioned in Stephan Gotteswinters Shop tour video. Thats where I learned about them.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
There are 3 volumes;
Precision Hole Location, 1946
Holes, Contours and Surfaces, 1954
Foundations of Mechanical Accuracy, 1999, Wayne R. Moore

I found the last one available online as a free pdf. The intro to the third book says it all! These volumes are mentioned in Stephan Gotteswinters Shop tour video. Thats where I learned about them.

Wow, that was an exercise finding those! I bought hard copies of the first two and would have bought a hardcopy of the last one too but it was $500. Since it is available as a legitimate pdf on-line (not pirated) because of its educational value, I opted for the free pdf. It's either that or pass because I'm not about to spend 500 for one. I've put all 3 at the top of my reading line-up to read when I'm done reading the "Beyond Measure" history of metrology that I'm reading now.

Thanks Ian.

Rauce

Ultra Member
That sounds SuperKool! I'd like to know more about that!

I find metrology fascinating. Haven't read the Moore books yet though. Will have to make that a priority for this winter!
4F8B53A1-5AEB-496D-B091-CADC7AAC1876.jpeg
Since this photo was taken I switched out some of the hardware. I based it roughly on the one that Woods Creek Workshop has a video series for on YouTube.

I simplified it a little. Instead of hardened ball bearings as the feet I just milled a relief on the bottom so it has pads. The bottom contact piece is tool steel flat stock, not hardened, milled to a radius concentric with the vertical shaft. The vertical shaft is a piece of surface hardened linear shaft I got from the off cuts rack at metal supermarket.

The important thing is that it doesn’t rock on the surface plate and is nice and solid. The post being square to the base and concentric with the “bumper” is not necessary but having those close makes it nicer to use since it keeps you from having to adjust the indicator when you raise or lower it.

In use it requires a master since it’s simply a comparative measuring tool. A cylinder square is great since it’s easy to check yourself to prove it’s accuracy.

One of the first things I did with it was check my 2-4-6 blocks. All though they are on size and the sides are all very parallel they were off square by about .001”!

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Please tell us more about Moore's books!

No where near as good as Machine Tool Reconditioning, but still imo an excellent sleep aid! :D

Nice haul. Now you can start collecting a complete set of Moore air gauges, in .001 increments. :eek: Moore stuff can be highly sought after, I sold a pair of 123 blocks on ebay once for $300. There is no better manufacturer, and when some guy is trying to complete his set.....

Last edited: