Auction Find FRV30-1440GH

John Conroy

Premium Member
Is that the HD one with the bigger spindle bore? How do you like it so far I’m sort of leaning towards one for here but that means putting Grandads south bend downstairs with the Causing, shaper, and 601 mill. I really need a gantry system!

The spindle bore is only 1.5". That seems to be about all you get with a D1-4 spindle. The lighter 1440 lathe that Modern sells has a D1-5 spindle and the bore is just over 2". The salesman at Modern commented that changing the spindle size involves major changes to the gear box such as shaft sizing so it's not likely the GH1440W will get that upgrade since it does not sell as well as the lighter machine.

Last edited:

Tom O

Ultra Member
It wouldn’t be hard at all I have everything to do it, it’s more a question of when seeing as how the nice days are soon done and being on light duties till the kidney heals up good.
Summers dam near over and I haven’t even cast anything not even ingots.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
if you are wiring the garage put in more power and outlets than you need. You’ll need it! Nice find on the lathe should be great.

kevin.decelles

Jack of all trades -- Master of none
Premium Member
The spindle bore is only 1.5". That seems to be about all you get with a D1-4 spindle. The lighter 1440 lathe that Modern sells has a D1-5 spindle and the bore is just over 2". The salesman at Modern commented that changing the spindle size involves major changes to the gear box such as shaft sizing so it's not likely the GH1440W will get that upgrade since it does not sell as well as the lighter machine.

I have the lighter 14x40 w/larger bore from Modern. There were obvious changes to the gear box which resulted in a reduced top speed (not 2000 as posted, but ~1650). The low range was bang on, the high range reduced in every position. I opted to change the pulley diameter from the motor to get the high range to be correct at the sacrifice of a slightly higher low range.