Auction Find FRV30-1440GH

Sbblake

Hi Folks, recently took a gamble on a last minute auction find for a 2006 FRV30-1440GH lathe(3HP, single phase).

20200820_191020.jpg

With auction fees, tax man, and delivery from Edmonton to Fort McMurray this lathe landed in my garage for just under $5200... A bit of a gamble as I purchased this site unseen...

Upon initial inspection lathe bed, ways, cross slide, saddle, tailstock appear in good shape. Chip tray guide might be a little bent (Chip tray was included. Sitting behind lathe in photo). All gears appear to mesh well and no noises by hand turning the chuck, oil levels appear a little low. Chuck attachment to faceplate would appear to be a questionable set-up...

20200820_191229.jpg

20200820_191253.jpg

20200820_184318.jpg

20200820_191139.jpg

20200820_191150.jpg

Lathe did come with owners manual, original quality control documents with verification of actual tolerances to design.

Plan is to drain, and replace all fluids, purchase correct chuck, wire garage for 220V, cross fingers and start it up. Given unknown if it sounds ok at low RPM I will complete a standard break in procedure.

Looking for any additional advise on what to check? Any knowledge on what company may have originally distributed the lathe? Appears very similar to a Jet GH-1440-1.
20200820_184252.jpg

20200820_184522.jpg
20200820_184933.jpg
20200820_185019.jpg

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Interesting chuck mounting arrangement to say the least. What are the specs on this, distance between centers, swing over bed, weight etc.

Sbblake

Interesting chuck mounting arrangement to say the least. What are the specs on this, distance between centers, swing over bed, weight etc.

Max. Swing Over Bed 14”
Max. Length of Work Piece 40”
Max. Swing Over Cross Slide 8-1/2”
Max. Swing in Gap 20”
Width of Bed 10-1/2”
Spindle Bore 1- 9/16” , D1-4
Taper of Spindle Center M.T.# 5
Max. Travel of Top Slide 3-1/2”
Max. Travel of Cross Slide 6-1/2”
Diameter of Tailstock Quill 1 3/4”
Max. Travel of Tailstock Quill 4-3/4 ”
Taper of Tailstock Quill Center M.T. # 3
Main Motor 3 HP, 220V, Single Phase
Coolant Pump Motor 1/8 HP, 220V
Net Weight, approx. 2750 LBS
Overall Dimensions, LxWxH 74” x 30” x 50”

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
That's impressive.

This is interesting "Max. Swing in Gap 20". So.. it's got a removable section of bed under the chuck?

Sbblake

That's impressive.

This is interesting "Max. Swing in Gap 20". So.. it's got a removable section of bed under the chuck?

Yes. There is an approx 10" section of the ways directly under the spindle nose / chuck that appear can be removed by unbolting the section. You can see a line across the ways in one of the photos above.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I'm thinking that that chuck/faceplate set-up is a former owner "jury rig-up". I think there will be a D3 hookup linkage behind that faceplate that is just looking for a regular D3 mounting chuck.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
You can see the D1-4 camlock in the photo. The backplates are readily available. There's nothing wrong with the setup, providing the chuck is properly centred.

John Conroy

Premium Member
Nice score. Your lathe appears to very much the same as the GH1440W machine I bought from Modern Tool in February 2019.

20190315_141653.jpg

It is very similar to the Jet and also the Precision Matthews PM1440 HD.
https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1440hd/
There is a YouTube channel presenter who has the Jet and has posted some videos on gearbox bearing replacement.
I found the owners manual for the PM1440HD to be much better than the one that came with my machine. It is a free download on their site.
I recently converted mine to a 3 phase motor with a vfd and am very happy with the improved smoothness and wider speed selections. I paid about double what you did so if the machine is sound you got a great deal. I really like mine.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@John Conroy I wondered if it was very similar to yours... What I couldn't tell from my searches was if it was the heavier model (like yours) or the lighter version. Thanks for clearing that up!

Sbblake

Nice score. Your lathe appears to very much the same as the GH1440W machine I bought from Modern Tool in February 2019.

View attachment 10816

It is very similar to the Jet and also the Precision Matthews PM1440 HD.
https://www.precisionmatthews.com/shop/pm-1440hd/
There is a YouTube channel presenter who has the Jet and has posted some videos on gearbox bearing replacement.
I found the owners manual for the PM1440HD to be much better than the one that came with my machine. It is a free download on their site.
I recently converted mine to a 3 phase motor with a vfd and am very happy with the improved smoothness and wider speed selections. I paid about double what you did so if the machine is sound you got a great deal. I really like mine.

Hi John, Beautiful machine you have there. The two lathes do look vary similar. I really like the tool holder you have built, looks like a great design. Do you have any additional photos or plans you would be willing to share?

Looking at the base of your lathe it appears to be mounted on rubber feet (hockey pucks?) How have they been holding up? Any creep/compression of the rubber resulting in changes to machine leveling?

Cheers,

Scott

Tom O

Ultra Member

View attachment 10816
Is that the HD one with the bigger spindle bore? How do you like it so far I’m sort of leaning towards one for here but that means putting Grandads south bend downstairs with the Causing, shaper, and 601 mill. I really need a gantry system!

Tom O

Ultra Member
Lol well I think it will Have to be custom going down the stairs but I still have some life in me lol now that the stones are out " I FEEL GOOD ! Nana Nana Nana na!

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Have to be custom going down the stairs

For the Bert move I made a custom ramp out of 2 2X8s and a few scraps. Perhaps a permanent but small winching anchor just outside the door? -- Gets the engineering juices flowing!

John Conroy

Premium Member
Hi John, Beautiful machine you have there. The two lathes do look vary similar. I really like the tool holder you have built, looks like a great design. Do you have any additional photos or plans you would be willing to share?

Looking at the base of your lathe it appears to be mounted on rubber feet (hockey pucks?) How have they been holding up? Any creep/compression of the rubber resulting in changes to machine leveling?

Cheers,

Scott

Hey Scott,
Here are a couple of pics that show the design of the tool holder rack.

I have found the hockey puck feet to be just fine and the level has not changed.

Most of the observations and changes I have made are in the post.

https://canadianhobbymetalworkers.c...s-or-a-pm1440hd-from-precision-matthews.1229/

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Is that the HD one with the bigger spindle bore? How do you like it so far I’m sort of leaning towards one for here but that means putting Grandads south bend downstairs with the Causing, shaper, and 601 mill. I really need a gantry system!

Tom,

What size is that South Bend? Is it the one that was tucked in behind your big big CNC (lathe?)?

Craig