Anyone Use a Floating Tailstock Die Holder?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I have a manual approach which works for me at least.

That's pretty much what I usually do too. I made some bars (think t-handle without the T) to fit my chuck so it's easier to turn.

I also made a spring loaded centering too for the tail stock so I don't have to advance it as the die or tap cuts.

What is keeping the die centered on your setup? I don't see anything between the die and the quill.

I cheat. I put hex die in 6 jaw chuck (3 jaw would work as well) and put the stock in the collet chuck. make the collet chuck proper torque. When putting in the hex die either rest on chuck face or use parallels to make sure it is not off in your chuck.

Sorry Tom, I cannot visualize your process at all. Sounds like you are using a collet chuck and a 6 jaw simultaneously??

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
That's pretty much what I usually do too. I made some bars (think t-handle without the T) to fit my chuck so it's easier to turn.

I also made a spring loaded centering too for the tail stock so I don't have to advance it as the die or tap cuts.

What is keeping the die centered on your setup? I don't see anything between the die and the quill.

Sorry Tom, I cannot visualize your process at all. Sounds like you are using a collet chuck and a 6 jaw simultaneously??

Dies goes into 6 jaw. Collet chuck - MT3 goes into tailstock. The rod is held in the collet chuck and pushed into the rotating 6 jaw. I can thread rods up to bed length. Very easy, very precise. Very quick. ER40 collets hold up to an inch, ER32 hold 3/4 and ER20 hold 1/2. Anything bigger then 1 in should not be an issue to single point on a lathe & besides it would be difficult to cut with a die such a large coarse thread on a small lathe in the first place.

eotrfish

Super User
Here's my take on a tailstock die holder. The holder will accept either 1" or 13/16" round dies. I use it for 0-80 to 3/8-24 threads. You can either turn the holder by hand for smaller threads or hold it stationary and run the lathe at 200 - 300 rpm. I also have some tap holders that slide onto the same MT shank - great for repetitive tapping 0-80 and 2-56 parts.

DIE HOLDER ASSY.jpg DIE - TAP HOLDER.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
An idea for all you guys is to make little wooden boats to sit on your ways to protect them from tap holder handles and the like.

I made one for my chuck wrenches too cuz I sometimes use them to stop my chuck from turning.