Anybody want anything from Ontario?

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
It is easy for me to forget how big Ontario is. Staring in the middle of Northern Ontario, you can drive for nearly 12 hours--and still be in Northern Ontario!

Craig
Testify!!!
Almost 12 hours of drive time today and still in Ontario

You’ve done this drive before?

Chicken lights

680 miles today or about 1100 kilometres got me up to Kenora. I purposely quit here I’m not wanting to go anywhere near Winnipeg and try to find parking.

Fun fact it IS uphill all the way to Regina, and once you hit Saskatchewan you’re always driving into a head wind. Even if you turn around to go the other way it’ll be into a head wind.

Goal is to get ‘er into Alberta by tomorrow night. We’ll see if that happens

Chicken lights

One day I'll head that way but I haven't yet. I just checked a map app.

Craig
(Cheating, I know. :rolleyes:)
I would highly recommend anyone travel through Canada. The list is endless on things to check out and go see.
https://www.listchallenges.com/canadas-50-places-of-a-lifetime

That’s one good list!

Other than that, just physically seeing how large and diverse Canada actually is, is eye opening. West coasters are different than prairie boys who are both different from east coasters, and nobody is like Quebecers! :p

I’m gonna go out on a limb and say driving west into the Rockies is my favourite. It’s hard to compare with the Great Lakes, but then again BC or PEI with the oceans are pretty cool.

I would suggest skipping Quebec, Manitoba and Saskatchewan
:p

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Probably around $8000, I’ll know when I see the pay report

I see things haven't changed in the trucking industry since I left..."just go pick that load up and take it where we tell you too...and we'll pay you what we want 6 weeks later...we cant tell you yet what that amount is yet...ohh, by the way your fuel card price went up 20 cents retroactive to 4 previous loads " .

Safe trip man!!! Highway conditions in Ab. are very good for this time of year...subject to immediate change of course .

Chicken lights

I see things haven't changed in the trucking industry since I left..."just go pick that load up and take it where we tell you too...and we'll pay you what we want 6 weeks later...we cant tell you yet what that amount is yet...ohh, by the way your fuel card price went up 20 cents retroactive to 4 previous loads " .

Safe trip man!!! Highway conditions in Ab. are very good for this time of year...subject to immediate change of course .
It’s a bizarre industry. That’s for sure.
I’m very surprised how little snow is out here so far, hoping to get in and out without a blizzard.
Thanks for the well wishes!

Chicken lights

9F10E112-CB24-4A64-98C6-75D661C8589C.jpeg 321585F8-D326-4B24-B987-0056688BE49B.jpeg 05D24F2F-848F-447B-82D3-D59501D83182.jpeg
12 hours of counting telephone poles. Pics are random from first in Manitoba, before Regina then coming into Saskatoon.

700 miles today. Got lost in Saskatoon a couple times.

Having stoplights on the Transcanada Highway always baffles me. Im guessing it was cheaper to build that way instead of overpasses and on/off ramps....but it’s not a very efficient highway?

The ring roads get me confused too. If I ran out here more I’d get to know them, I’m sure.

Probably about 6 hours left tomorrow I’m hoping to deliver early.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Where have you stopped for the night? I'm plotting your progress on google maps LOL.

Last edited:

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
Google maps tells me you're into this for 29hr 2750km so far and well with in striking distance of your target for tomorrow.

BTB - Traffic lights on a hwy make way more sense to me than traffic circles. The circle on hwy 1 outside of Banff was a death trap.

Chicken lights

Google maps tells me you're into this for 29hr 2750km so far and well with in striking distance of your target for tomorrow.

BTB - Traffic lights on a hwy make way more sense to me than traffic circles. The circle on hwy 1 outside of Banff was a death trap.
Yeah, about that, probably closer to 32 hours drive time since leaving North Bay

When I think highway I think straight pavement, with off ramps and on ramps. Traffic circles (roundabouts) or stoplights don’t belong there

We have a slightly different system than the USA but it’s close, a 4 series highway has no stoplights or traffic circles, similar to their interstate system. Much of Quebec and the eastern provinces are similar.

Anyway not saying it’s wrong just saying it’s different. If you came to southern Ontario you’d probably think we were the backwards ones

I like it out west....it’s just not what I’m used to :)

Hruul

Lee - metalworking novice
Did you take the new bypass around Regina or come into the city to take the ring road? No traffic lights on the bypass. Even though it is out of the way for me I still use it to get to the east side of Regina. Better than going through the city and the ridiculous drivers here, not to mention the traffic lights that seem timed to make you stop at everyone.

Chicken lights

Did you take the new bypass around Regina or come into the city to take the ring road? No traffic lights on the bypass. Even though it is out of the way for me I still use it to get to the east side of Regina. Better than going through the city and the ridiculous drivers here, not to mention the traffic lights that seem timed to make you stop at everyone.
New bypass....

I’m guessing I missed it, there was a spot the road split but I wasn’t sure where it went.

Hruul

New bypass....

I’m guessing I missed it, there was a spot the road split but I wasn’t sure where it went.
Ya it would have taken you south just before you got into the city. It goes south and then joins back to the trans Canada west of the city then continues on to highway 11 towards Saskatoon just north of the city, just north of the weigh station. The bypass has been in construction for three years in total. Just opened this fall.

Chicken lights

Ya it would have taken you south just before you got into the city. It goes south and then joins back to the trans Canada west of the city then continues on to highway 11 towards Saskatoon just north of the city, just north of the weigh station. The bypass has been in construction for three years in total. Just opened this fall.
Ahh no the one I’m thinking of was over by Balgonie

That seems confusing...to take a southbound ring road to grab a northbound road?

Chicken lights

You don't use a GPS?
I do but generally not on the big roads
I don’t trust it to get me where I want to go. Atlas and maps for the most part

I’ll use it to find the delivery address for instance but I don’t use it much for city to city.

For instance to get to Calgary from Ontario its really one road. Sure it’s 900 miles but there aren’t many turns

Hruul

Ahh no the one I’m thinking of was over by Balgonie

That seems confusing...to take a southbound ring road to grab a northbound road?
It ties into the highway to the us border back into the trancanada, the new global transportation hub, highway 11 and several roads around Regina. It was likely the most open route to get them all. The off ramp at Balgonie would have taken you into north east Regina down a two lane highway.