Any idea what this type of mount is called?

It's the rear cab mount on my cabover and it's beyond time that I replaced it. The dealers have washed their hands of these models and so finding some parts are becoming a challenge and the rest I will have to make as I go. I am sure I can find replacements if I only knew what to call them. 20230914_194557.jpg 20230914_194551.jpg 20230914_194611.jpg

My google-fu has lead me to more mounts than I can count, just not mine.....
Thanks guys.

It's a 1994 Ford Cf8000. I haven't been able to see any numbers, but I will try again on the weekend. Ford divided this model off into the Stirling line of trucks, from there they were sold to Western star. Ford says not our truck anymore and Western Star kinda just chuckled and said that they wouldn't be supplying parts, and were no help with part #'s. Driveline parts are easy enough, but body parts are another story.

jorogi

You must be mistaken, Ford parts obsolete ? What slander.
I should have a manual for that truck which would show the part. I'll take a look on the weekend, if I can find it I'll drop it off for you, I don't need it any more.

jorogi

It's a 1994 Ford Cf8000. I haven't been able to see any numbers, but I will try again on the weekend. Ford divided this model off into the Stirling line of trucks, from there they were sold to Western star. Ford says not our truck anymore and Western Star kinda just chuckled and said that they wouldn't be supplying parts, and were no help with part #'s. Driveline parts are easy enough, but body parts are another story.
Or send it if you want it. I thought you were across the harbour from me. Oooops.

Or send it if you want it. I thought you were across the harbour from me. Oooops.
If you have no need for it, I will gladly cover postage etc. To get it here.....
I am probably just across the harbour,..... and over the hills..... around the bend etc. :p
.... especially the around the bend part. Lol:rolleyes:

jorogi

Don,
I had a look for the manual but couldn't find it which is wierd as that is not the sort of thing I get rid of. I sold the truck several years ago and the night before the new owner took delivery a tree fell across the roof of the cab. Didn't bother the new owner at all as he only wanted the crane anyway. Still got full price and he wouldn't have taken the manual. A couple of other spots to check but they are less likely. If I do find it is yours.
John

Thanks. I appreciate the effort. Manuals are something that I never throw away either, somehow it just seems wrong to throw away knowledge. I'm not bright enough for that. ;)

In the meantime, if any one has a good guess as to what to call these suckers, I am all ears. A little hard of hearing these days, so you might have to YELL at me to get my attention, seems to work well for the wife. :p:rolleyes:

terry_g

Ultra Member
What are the dimensions of the bushings? I remember helping someone replace a pair of
similar bushings that held the rear suspension in place on a Dodge Aries.

Last edited:

YotaBota

Mike
Premium Member
If you can afford to have the truck out of service for a few days remove one of the bushings and take it to the truck parts/ auto parts guys and see if any one can match it up with something.

GM made a similar truck so maybe they used the same part supplier.

trevj

Ultra Member
As a funny (ish) story about Western Star, they got roped in to supplying some really crappy trucks to the Canadian Forces!

So crappy, that the CF was about to sue them, because they refused to put their name on the hood of the end result of a LOT of political Fuc*ery, which turned a pretty decent light truck, in to a piece of crap! That became the LSVW project! Light Shit*y Vehicle Wheeled, a nice truck, until it was "Canadianized"

Rode in a fair few. Would happily see the Politicians that brought them about, need to rely upon them to save their lives. any frikken day!

Tecnico

(Dave)
In the meantime, if any one has a good guess as to what to call these suckers, I am all ears. A little hard of hearing these days, so you might have to YELL at me to get my attention, seems to work well for the wife. :p:rolleyes:

OK, I'll bite and toss out a few ideas that maybe you've already chased down or not. I've been watching this thread for a while, even Googled some and there doesn't seem to be much of a trail to follow via the OEM path. Oh BTW, there are service manuals on Ebay but do they list P/Ns?

If I was on the parts counter I'd call it a cab mount or a cab mount bushing. I might also call it an isolation mount.

Here are a few of my out in left field thoughts:

1. Talk to an independent truck repair outfit, they may have some ideas on how to hunt the OE replacement parts down. I think that was where @YotaBota was heading a few posts back. I doubt commercial trucks are going to show up on the the local NAPA's radar so it would be down that commercial truck path. Locally we have a shop called.....wait for it.....Parts For Trucks.

2. Talk to MOOG or similar commercial supply chain. Measure up the mounts and give them a drawing, it might help.**

2a. AnythingTruck.com might have something you can adapt. Maybe something like THIS could be adapted to the bracket that your mount slides into or THIS could be slid into your original mount tube. They have SEVERAL mounts similar to these. Maybe machine up a mount tube that would contain the cast Freightliner inserts and slide into your original hole?

AnythingTruck.com is nice, they list dimensions of the mounts they have so you can shop to fit. :)

3. Roll your own! :oops:

3a. Take the mount/photos to someone like Himmelman Elastomers, they may be able to re-build them. In the case of Himmelman they've done some rubber vulcanizing/fabrication for me and they like something novel to play with. There must be someone similar in your neck of the woods.

**3b Do up a 3D model & drawing and send it to someone like Nuraseal. Again this is someone that made something custom for me and enjoyed doing something novel. They've actually done several things for me. This is one of the parts. It's a poured polyurethane casting done in a simple open mold.

3c. Use the 3D model from 3b to 3D print yourself a mold (or machine it out of aluminum) and cast the parts yourself! It's not that hard, I've done it with an aluminum mold. Use Devcon Flexane 80. Seriously, for a wannabe machinist it's not out of reach.

Your mold will basically displace the air space existing in the rubber plus position the central through bushing that the bolt goes through. Sandblast all the rust & rubber residue out of the steel cylinder and off the OD of the through bushing, mount the volumes that give you air space and the bushing and pour in the urethane. Pretty easy! Make sure your mold inserts don't have any undercuts that would keep them from being pulled from the cast part (Flexane mold release works well). If you did a 3D print, make sure to smooth the surface to eliminate undercuts.

Go to the truck boneyard and pick up one old mount so you can make the tool with it then cast and replace one at a time & Bob's your uncle. Even if it doesn't last another 30 years you can always make up more on a moments notice.....;)

That'll keep you busy for a while, LOL!

D :cool:

What are the dimensions of the bushings? I remember helping someone replace a pair of
similar bushings that held the rear suspension in place on a Dodge Aries.
I just stuck my head in there with a pair of calipers, and it's 70mm in diameter, 80mm wide (outside of the flange to the to the lead in taper), and the pin diameter is 20mm...
I encountered a very similar mount when I replaced the swing arm bushings in the back of the wife's old VW Golf. I know they're out there....... my kingdom for a bloody name... lol:p

If you can afford to have the truck out of service for a few days remove one of the bushings and take it to the truck parts/ auto parts guys and see if any one can match it up with something.

GM made a similar truck so maybe they used the same part supplier.
I can't really take it out of service right now, but plan to around the end of October and am hoping to have all the parts in hand before I start. I also have a sneaking hunch that it's coming out is going to be a one-way trip to the trash bin and I would hate to come back from the parts store empty handed. I'm sure that if I could give it a proper name I would be able to put all four in my hand in a weeks time...... ;)

Oh BTW, there are service manuals on Ebay but do they list P/Ns?
None of the factory service manuals that I have list part numbers (with the exception of an old John Deere garden tractor manual....... go team green. )
If I was on the parts counter I'd call it a cab mount or a cab mount bushing. I might also call it an isolation mount.
Those were among my first guesses as well...... good thing you and I weren't on the naming committee. :rolleyes:

3. Roll your own!
This is a last resort, but quite possibly what I will need to do.
Go to the truck boneyard
....... wife won't let me go there, ......mortified that I might fall in love with another project. :oops: Like I would do that....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

terry_g

Ultra Member
I have been working on trucks for 43 years and I have never seen a bushing like that.
The voids in the rubber are probably there to make for a softer ride.
International uses a bushing with voids in the front cab mounts on the smaller trucks but its a lot bigger
and presses into a casting.