• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Anvil tool 409 pound anvil C$2,222

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I recall anvils going for a buck a lb at farm auctions. Doesn't seem that long ago...
Then the collectors, anvil firers and other morons noticed them. :( Some collector is going kick the bucket and the price of anvils will plummet 75% :)

You'd think at $4/lb it would be a money maker for some foundries to cast some and that would limit prices.

Don't need a new railroad track that bad.

Me neither...but I bet if blacksmithing was my main thing I'd be pining for a heavy one. I'd like pursue it one day but am trying to restrict myself to 15 hobbies at a time.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I'd like pursue it one day but am trying to restrict myself to 15 hobbies at a time.

15? Is that all? I bet that's a deliberate understatement.....

But ya, I hear you. Have to draw lines somewhere and that's as good as anyplace to draw one.

That said, I'd still like one if I can find one for what I would be willing to pay - which is not gunna be anywhere near 4 digits. One of those old ship rope tie-down posts would be nice too.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
Always wanted to try "anvil launching" but the price of the anvils kept me from the sport. !/4 lb of black powder under (in the casting cavity under the base) a 150 or 200 lb anvil and they shoot those damn things 2-300 ft strait up. Two things about using anvils, is that they dont "wind drift" because of their weight(easily found & recoverable) and they are re-usable to infinity.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Always wanted to try "anvil launching" but the price of the anvils kept me from the sport. !

Ya, but an off center charge could take out the neighbours barn...... Or even worse, the missus's car. I heard she is not one to piss off .......

Crosche

Super User
Then the collectors, anvil firers and other morons noticed them.  Some collector is going kick the bucket and the price of anvils will plummet 75% 

You'd think at $4/lb it would be a money maker for some foundries to cast some and that would limit prices.

Me neither...but I bet if blacksmithing was my main thing I'd be pining for a heavy one. I'd like pursue it one day but am trying to restrict myself to 15 hobbies at a time.

My father's former boss was an anvil collector; he had at least 8 that I knew of and never actually used any of them. Beats the heck out of me why a person would collect anvils?!? Watched too many Looney Toons as a kid?

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
My father's former boss was an anvil collector; he had at least 8 that I knew of and never actually used any of them. Beats the heck out of me why a person would collect anvils?!? Watched too many Looney Toons as a kid?

Yeah I don't get it. otoh its a semi-free country and it would be dull if we were all were the same. I just dislike how many it takes out of circulation from those who might actual use them, learn something, accomplish something etc.

staker

here is the poor man's version. $60.00

330481975_5868718106514765_6907333273203659540_n.jpg

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
But a new Ridgid #12, 269lbs, prices out to $3300, so $12.30/lb.
Following up. I was expecting Chinese foundries to get into this game. And sure enough - Vevor now has. 60kg/132lbs anvil listed for $370, advertising Rockwell 55 hardness. A recent review by John Switzer on its little brother leads me to believe this is a decent anvil at a ridiculously good price.
Vevor pricing usually includes shipping, and I see no contrary indication which would make this a *smoking* hot deal.
And of course it's already out of stock.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
trying to restrict myself to 15 hobbies at a time.
I try too, but fail miserably....
Vevor now has. 60kg/132lbs anvil listed for $370
Princess Auto is much more expensive. Even their super cheap 110lb anvil is 20% more.

-----

I've been using an Anvil Shaped Object for about 30 years, but I really wanted 'real' anvil...

A neighbour down the street gave me a gift of a 110 year old heavy railroad track anvil (8" flange).

Then a forum member sold me his real anvil for a once-in-a-lifetime price. I'll use the real one as my working anvil, but I'll keep the neighbor's as he sadly passed away a few months after giving me the anvil. He was a good friend.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Well, I have now 3 anvils. 110 lbs from PA which I got for like 150 CAD. Nice, I like it. I have some Canadian Blower and forge 75lbs anvil that I fixed up a bit but is not that great - got it for 60. And latest one is Peter Wright 106 I got it for like 220 or so.

I.e. I do not pay more than $2 per lbs.

But I fully realize my anvils are worth more - especially that PW is more in $4 per lbs range.