Anvil tool 409 pound anvil C$2,222

staker

326565754_5827026360715465_8872023929896953639_n.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I wonder if anyone really pays those insane prices for anvils?

A big one came up at a farm auction 3 years ago or so. I really wanted it, but had to quit at 300. It ended up going for about 750. My old piece of railroad track was forced to continue to serve. Seriously, how often do I really need an anvil to justify 750?

So ya, they are up there but this particular price is too high in my opinion.

Not only that but add another thousand for gas to get one. If they were local, I would put a watch on them and wait for him to get real with the price, but these might as well be in Calgary for all it matters to me.

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
A big one came up at a farm auction 3 years ago or so. I really wanted it, but had to quit at 300. It ended up going for about 750. My old piece of railroad track was forced to continue to serve. Seriously, how often do I really need an anvil to justify 750?

So ya, they are up there but this particular price is too high in my opinion.

Not only that but add another thousand for gas to get one. If they were local, I would put a watch on them and wait for him to get real with the price, but these might as well be in Calgary for all it matters to me.
Ya I sometimes think the driving force in these things is figuring on reselling to someone that will pay more. Farmland is like that, it's gets to a price where most people know that it can't possibly pay for itself.... until someone else is willing to pay more for it.

boatbuilder

I seen an old 750 pound Peter Wright anvil with a huge swayback (must have been used under a power hammer of some sort) go for $7500.00 at a farm auction 10+ years ago. I also sold a 508 pound Peter wright anvil in great shape to a buddy of mine for $4000.00 about 5 years ago.

I seen an old 750 pound Peter Wright anvil with a huge swayback (must have been used under a power hammer of some sort) go for $7500.00 at a farm auction 10+ years ago. I also sold a 508 pound Peter wright anvil in great shape to a buddy of mine for $4000.00 about 5 years ago.
You two still friends?...... J/k:p

A few years back I had some work done on one of our machines and when I took the invoice home I had to sit the wife down and gently explain..... "Honey, there's only two things in the whole world that are cheap anymore....... You and me..":rolleyes:

Crosche

Super User
For anyone looking for an anvil, I would suggest checking out either Refflinghaus or Holland anvils. The Holland anvils are made from cast H13.

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
It *really* annoys me that an inert hunk of cast steel costs more per pound than a Beche-type power hammer. Consider that an Anyang 15kg power hammer runs about $9k, and weighs in at 1190lbs, $7.56/lb
But a new Ridgid #12, 269lbs, prices out to $3300, so $12.30/lb.

Something's not right in pricing land.

boatbuilder

You two still friends?...... J/k:p

A few years back I had some work done on one of our machines and when I took the invoice home I had to sit the wife down and gently explain..... "Honey, there's only two things in the whole world that are cheap anymore....... You and me..":rolleyes:
I actually gave it to him for less than what I could have gotten. The fellow is a great friend of mine.

trevj

Ultra Member
Yeah. Just sayin' but that guy can keep it until another fool comes along that wants it...

In a Railroad Shop, where you had a crew of strikers with BIG hammers, there may be some merit to that much mass on the stump, but for a fella that is even doing 'Smithing Professionally, a lot more than a 200 pound anvil is pretty much wasted, as anything much heavier than what is done on an anvil that size, will be done on a Power Hammer of one sort or other, if not a hydraulic Press.

I know a guy that has a 400+ pound anvil, that is swaybacked as a Tumbleweeds horse. Came out of a Railroad Shop, and he got it pretty cheap too. Told him to use it as yard art, but not until he welded a ring eye on the bottom, and gave it 3 1/2 feet of chain, anchored to a concrete plug in the ground. It would be easy to figure out who tried to steal it, as you just needed to see who was in for a hernia Operation, lately! :)

I tried to talk the last shop I worked in, into using the 250 pound Peddinghaus anvil that was there, as a retirement gift! Wasn't even on anyone's paperwork, so it would not have been missed. No joy, though! :p

When I was living in Edmonton, a fella by the name of John Cunningham, IIRC, who was a pro smith on the East edge of the city, was running a group buy of a Steel anvil from one of the local foundries. Was under $2K, IIRC, but that got you a brand new, cast steel anvil at around 250 pounds, so, competitive at the time. Kinda regret that I didn't buy in at that time!

PaulL

Technologist at Large
Premium Member
There's a few nice features of lighter anvils too - well-made ones include some swedge block features in the sides and on the bottom. But you need to be able to turn your anvil to use them!

trevj

Ultra Member
There's a few nice features of lighter anvils too - well-made ones include some swedge block features in the sides and on the bottom. But you need to be able to turn your anvil to use them!
Walk around to the other side!

Drove some of the guys that though they "knew" what I was doing wrong, when I left tools in the Hardie Hole. As long as the tools are at the opposite side from where you are beating on the metal, the opportunity to hurt yourself was almost Zero!

I used to leave the cutoff tool in the hardie hole, as a matter of course, when making nails, or similar work. Constantly heard about hoe I was putting muself at risk of cutting a finger off, as it would get caught between the tool and the hammer handle.

My usual answer, was to have them stand where I was, and demonstrate how I was a risk! It was pretty funny! You sorta have to cross yer arms, and hold the hammer arse backwards...

On the other hand, while the cut off tool sat at the far side from my hammer hand, it was always available to nip off the stock I was working with!