• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Another stray machine followed me home.

I was thinking more on the "air shaft", as I recall my HS days, the wheel rode (centered on air) even though it was clamped (enough to spin the wheel). This allowed it to balance itself so to speak, unfortunately this required dressing on each startup as a new balance point was found, during use the wheel remained balanced. Again I may be wrong on this but this is how I understood it based on what was explained (and what I remember).

Air bearings done correctly allow for a near friction free and ultra smooth operation while maintaining ultra precision.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It is a grinding spinner. Gotteswinter motorized his and Renzetti has made a Harig clone of a similar design. It is used to provide a slow constant rate of spin to accurately grind tapers and cylinders.

If you don't want it I'm sure Dabblers Custom Recycling could find a use for it! (just kidding);)

I see. That makes some sense.

If you look at the first picture, you can see that it's already motorized. The wiring is foobared though. Prolly not a big deal to fix.

Someday I'll be heading west. When that happens, it just might be right sized for transporting to Dabbler's Custom Recycling......

Do you think it's worth doing an assessment of repairability?
I was thinking more on the "air shaft", as I recall my HS days, the wheel rode (centered on air) even though it was clamped (enough to spin the wheel). This allowed it to balance itself so to speak, unfortunately this required dressing on each startup as a new balance point was found, during use the wheel remained balanced. Again I may be wrong on this but this is how I understood it based on what was explained (and what I remember).

Air bearings done correctly allow for a near friction free and ultra smooth operation while maintaining ultra precision.

Sorry, I don't see how that air shaft thing works. Might be a giant gap in my knowledge base.

Yes to the air bearing.

I see. That makes some sense.

If you look at the first picture, you can see that it's already motorized. The wiring is foobared though. Prolly not a big deal to fix.

Someday I'll be heading west. When that happens, it just might be right sized for transporting to Dabbler's Custom Recycling......

Do you think it's worth doing an assessment of repairability?

Sorry, I don't see how that air shaft thing works. Might be a giant gap in my knowledge base.

Yes to the air bearing.
It is like an air bearing but the air cushions the wheel on the shaft.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It is like an air bearing but the air cushions the wheel on the shaft.

I guess I'll have to read up on it.

Fundamentally, I don't understand why this air shaft thing takes a set and then stays there. If it works like an air bearing, any offset should imbalance the pressure which in turn should force it back where it belongs.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
-- it might be coroded. If it is, that may be why it won't turn. (but I'm no air bearing expert)

This is very possible. When the machinist who had it died, nobody maintained the humidity in his shop. There is light corrosion on much of the tooling I got there. It's easy to imagine a little internal corrosion too.

Rauce

Ultra Member
That thing is what I know as a radius dresser/punch pin grinder.

Allows one to do cylindrical grinding operations or with a diamond dresser, to put a radius on the wheel.

I don’t know much about air bearings but if that’s what it has, it’s a sign it’s a very high quality tool.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I just bought a punch grinding fixture. A Taiwanese Harig clone. It is very likely that @Susquatch has a shop-built one, with an air bearing, but now seized.

I'm thinking citric acid in water at 120 degrees F might get into the gaps- one could infulse the cirtic acid solution through the air inlet... Does it hold pressure, I wonder?

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
That thing is what I know as a radius dresser/punch pin grinder.

Allows one to do cylindrical grinding operations or with a diamond dresser, to put a radius on the wheel.

I don’t know much about air bearings but if that’s what it has, it’s a sign it’s a very high quality tool.

Parts of it look high quality. Parts of it don't.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I just bought a punch grinding fixture. A Taiwanese Harig clone. It is very likely that @Susquatch has a shop-built one, with an air bearing, but now seized.

I'm thinking citric acid in water at 120 degrees F might get into the gaps- one could infulse the cirtic acid solution through the air inlet... Does it hold pressure, I wonder?

Did your dad ever spend time in Sask?

Ive been wondering similar things. Specifically wondered about running some oiled air through it or a few drops of penetrating oil. I had planned some research before doing so to make sure I don't damage it or

To be honest, I didn't check to see if it held air. I had thought air bearings needed to be vented in order to work and so I just assumed that they leaked.

More research......

I don't plan to take it apart until I feel that I know enough to know how little I know...... Lol!

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Time for a bit of an update.

@Canadium stopped by for a visit yesterday. We had fun. I had wanted to get somebody to help me take the table off but we ran out of time. He asked why I didn't just use my engine hoist and I was embarrassed to have to admit that I had to move too much stuff to get it at the grinder. Sometimes you just have to admit that the problem is the guy in the mirror, not the stuff on the floor.

So today I moved everything and took the table off. I was a bit surprised by what I found. One oiling roller missing and two bent. It was easy to fix the bent rollers. Replacing the missing one will be a bear.

20220812_110921.jpg

I can make the roller easy enough, but that spring......

Anybody know where I could find such a thing........

Edit - also, there are 3 on each way. Do you think I could live without the center one?

Last edited:

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I wouldn't just skip it, but that might be a $500 part from Leblond :).

It shouldn't be too hard to make, if you can get some spring stock. A piece of steel strapping will often work (if its not precisely spring steel, it often sure seems like it). With a propane torch it is quick and easy to get it red for the bend, the harden and temper again. Strapping comes in different thickness so I'd be thinking a light one, but even if not, just put less of a bend in it so barely presses up. performance demands are as negligible as a spring ever saw.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I wouldn't just skip it, but that might be a $500 part from Leblond :).

It shouldn't be too hard to make, if you can get some spring stock. A piece of steel strapping will often (if its not spring steel, it often seems like it). With a propane torch is quick and easy to get it red for the bend, the harden and temper again. Strapping comes in different thickness so I'd be thinking a light one, but even if not, just put less of a bend in it so barely presses up. performance demands are as negligible as a spring ever saw.

You are right, the work load is minimal. The spring really just keeps the wheel in contact with the way. It doesn't even flex back and forth.

I'll try LeBlond first. But if that doesn't work out, I could see myself making one your way. Be a Lotta cursing going on here though.

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
The wheel springs on my Parker-Majestic were very simple affairs that could have easily been made from steel strapping. Yours look a bit more involved.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
You are right, the work load is minimal. The spring really just keeps the wheel in contact with the way. It doesn't even flex back and forth.

I'll try LeBlond first. But if that doesn't work out, I could see myself making one your way. Be a Lotta cursing going on here though.

Cussing not allowed and the job goes much easier. Just saying!

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Since i quite smoking cussing is the only thing keeping me going when i'm fixing.

As you know my garage/shop is attached right next to the kitchen, generally I don't wear my hearing aids in the shop so its difficult for me to hear my wife letting out our dog. Besides that with our side walk and raspberry patch right next to the garage and with great-grandkids coming over picking raspberry's now that schools out I've learned not to be vocal in the shop. Wrath of one's good wife is far worse than mumbling cuss word aloud.

Having 40 acres to chase one's herd around is likely a different situation, believe you understand. LOL

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
As you know my garage/shop is attached right next to the kitchen, generally I don't wear my hearing aids in the shop so its difficult for me to hear my wife letting out our dog. Besides that with our side walk and raspberry patch right next to the garage and great-grandkids coming over picking raspberry's now that schools out I've learned not to be vocal in the shop. Wrath of one's good wife is far worse than mumbling cuss word aloud.

Having 40 acres to chase one's herd around is likely a different situation, believe you understand. LOL

I'm on the cussing side of this equation. And FWI, my bride thinks my cussing is cute cuz it makes me look more human than I looked before I retired. Just not in front on the grandkids. That gets an instant "you are cutoff you idiot" reaction. It's a very effective strategy. A day and a night of that and I tend to behave. Two can play that game of course, but I'm much less inclined to be stubborn and have no will power so her use of that tactic is much more effective than mine. I guess I'm just a foul mouthed pushover.