• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Another person infected with the habit ... from Burlington

Aarknoid

ah, yes Kilbride, where rich people in the 60s lived...
Only on the outside of the village, the rest of us peons live in the center bit ( the one main street ) grandparents moved over in the 50's, indoor toilets ??! not for them :p and yeah , Carlisle is the closest place people recognize for the area.

Reason I live in milton
Talk about rich people area now :p j/k but like everywhere, prices are silly.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I moved out west in '79 to avoid the press of people and the high prices of accommodations. I was offered a job in TO that paid 24K$ per year when rent at the outskirts was over 18K$ per year...

I moved to the West, where wages were higher and cost of living was about half. Now all I want to do is to move somewhere quiet, away from the city.

I moved out west in '79 to avoid the press of people and the high prices of accommodations. I was offered a job in TO that paid 24K$ per year when rent at the outskirts was over 18K$ per year...

I moved to the West, where wages were higher and cost of living was about half. Now all I want to do is to move somewhere quiet, away from the city.
I rent in milton and bought a cottage near Bancroft where I have my machinery. That's where I have space and funny enough, 3 phase power possibilities

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I rent in milton and bought a cottage near Bancroft where I have my machinery. That's where I have space and funny enough, 3 phase power possibilities
Hey, I am into Milton to one of our customers every week, Wilcox Truck Bodies, behind the courthouse on Steeles Ave.

Hey, I am into Milton to one of our customers every week, Wilcox Truck Bodies, behind the courthouse on Steeles Ave.
If you ever end up at Ryder, ask for Kyle the mechanic and tell him his dad says hi. It'd really freak him out. Especially if you tell him that you don't even know him lol. I use to drive for manitoulin but now I run heavy equipment and float for Graff concrete cutting. That got me interested in machining as we have jobs that require different rigs and set ups

If you ever end up at Ryder, ask for Kyle the mechanic and tell him his dad says hi. It'd really freak him out. Especially if you tell him that you don't even know him lol. I use to drive for manitoulin but now I run heavy equipment and float for Graff concrete cutting. That got me interested in machining as we have jobs that require different rigs and set ups
I ment to say Ryder in milton lol

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
I have seen the Graff trucks on the highway.
Manitoulin has a yard on Industrial Road in Cambridge which is just down the street from the Whitelaw Automotive site that I do client services from.

My brother-in-law drives long-haul for Round Rock in Walkerton.

I was general machinist at Ex-Cell-O in the 1980s, recession hit and I went back to school for machinery design and have built capital equipment projects for most of my career.

There are several CHMWs in the Kitchener-Cambridge area.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hello one and all - this is the only forum I've ever joined and this is my first ever post. Not sure if this is the most appropriate place to start but here goes.
Background -- I'm retired and a self-taught welder that likes to fix stuff (Millermatic 220 AC/DC). When I come in from the garage with a smile, my wife asks "What broke and what tool will you have to buy to fix it?" I recently bought a plasma cutter (Hypertherm 45XP) for my small shop and am enjoying this new addition. I started following this forum because I'd like to add a mill to my list, that is if I could find room in the garage and in my wallet (thinking King 20VS or maybe upgrade to a Precision Matthews).
Anyhow, looking forward to the spring and saying goodbye to wearing a mask.
(By the way Aarknoid, our kids went to Kilbride school and we've been in the village since 1988.)
Craig

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
Welcome, @CWret

I've got a Millermatic also. Great machine. Loved Kilbride, when I lived near. You are in the right place to find a great, used, economical milling machine.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Great, thanks guys for your reply. I see how this works. Very nice. Best forum I've ever jointed!
(PS: lived in Calgary for a year in '74 - loved it.)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Welcome from corn country South of Chatham Ontario.

Great start! Had me laughing when you described your wife's reaction to your smile. I shared the thought with my Bride and she is still laughing too. I think she just adopted the saying. I'm in trouble now. Got learn to laugh alone at stuff like that.