• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Another person infected with the habit ... from Burlington

Aarknoid

I think I am in the right place,

Hello, my name is Mark ... and I have a problem, I have started a home for wayward machines and have delusions of becoming a home machinist.
Am a controls tech by trade so i figured, why not do work at home, but for free :p

So far i have most of the parts of an old Colchester ( technically B.I.E ) Student and a PDM-30 in the stable.

I keep ending up back here while searching the net for information, figured it was time to surface

o/

Attachments

• 20200819_183725.jpg
    20200819_183725.jpg
    276.2 KB · Views: 41
  • image-20200105_121515.jpg
    image-20200105_121515.jpg
    377.3 KB · Views: 41

Aarknoid

The mill is working but could use a clean up, the lathe was bought with the quick change gear box disassembled with a supposedly bent pinion in it ,

oh and a missing motor, which i have acquired but haven't mounted yet

Attachments

• image-20191225_220552.jpg
    image-20191225_220552.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 11

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

Hello, my name is Mark ... and I have a problem, I have started a home for wayward machines and have delusions of becoming a home machinist.
Am a controls tech by trade so i figured, why not do work at home, but for free :p

So far i have most of the parts of an old Colchester ( technically B.I.E ) Student and a PDM-30 in the stable.

I keep ending up back here while searching the net for information, figured it was time to surface

o/

Hi Mark, welcome from farmland South of Chatham. Lots of wayward machines on here and lots of shelters for them too!

Aarknoid

am becoming semi familiar with out that way, had a friend move to Wallaceburg so am making the trek from time to time. how is the wayward machine supply so close to Windsor / Detroit? :p

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I would say supply is pretty good. But the shelf time is measured in seconds.

Send me a pm and drop by for a chat or coffee if it ever makes sense.

whydontu

I Tried, It Broke
Premium Member
welcome from Vancouver.

Repeat after me:

Lord grant me the serenity to covet only the tools I can afford, the courage to convince my partner to allow me to buy the tools I can’t afford, and the wisdom to know the difference.

deleted_user

Super User

o/
welcome from Toronto.

You are situated within some of the most densely populated machine tool habitat in Canada. IF you are prepared, you can beat most people to the punch anywhere within this map and acquire a wayward machine tool before others have even caught scent of the prey.

1645135698195.png

LenVW

Process Machinery Designer
Premium Member
Hi Mark,
Welcome from Kitchener, Ontario.
I worked as a machinist for Ex-Cell-O Canada in the 1980s.
Spent most of my career designing and building process equipment.

Lots of knowledge in this group of ‘hobbyists’.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome from Alberta.
Yes the disease is quite rampant once caught, and it appears to affect us until the very late stages of life until when we are just about to cash in our chips. However unlike many other diseases, this one seems to be life giving and fills the afflicted individual with passion, creativity and a sense of pride. We are all here to support one another in our common affliction.