• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Another not Mitutoyo - beware

deleted_user

Super User
Accusize does sell directly from their web site too, and I have ordered stuff directly from them. It is actually quite well laid out, IMHO, and even though it is import tooling it is still nice to have a Canadian supplier of it rather than having to come out of the far East or even trying to get it across the border from SHARS or HHIP.

Same reason why I do like KBC, as they have an established presence here in Canada so you can get help from them directly.

I do like to make purchases direct from sellers whenever I can but still sometimes buy from Amazon's store too. Granted, recently my fun budget has been directed otherwise, so it hasn't been an issue of late, lol!
I like accusize and appreciate that I can pick up my goods in person. The staff are also very helpful and accommodating... they let me look at and inspect any tool that they have in stock. Hands on is great

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Accusize does sell directly from their web site too, and I have ordered stuff directly from them. It is actually quite well laid out, IMHO, and even though it is import tooling it is still nice to have a Canadian supplier of it rather than having to come out of the far East or even trying to get it across the border from SHARS or HHIP.

I sometime buy directly from Accusize too. They sell stuff on their own website that they don't sell on Amazon. Although Amazon is usually a bit cheaper - if nothing else than with free shipping.

That said, Accusize has always agreed to price match with themselves.... LOL!

Also, they REALLY like it when you call them instead of Amazon when you have a problem. Don't think they want Amazon to know......

Anybody know what the deal is with their new line of "Northward" tools is all about?

The impression I get is that it's a Canadian supplier owned by Accusize. But I wonder......

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
It should be about 12% cheaper on the website then on Amazon. At least other Chinese brands in Canada are about 10% cheaper on their site then on Amazon.
They don't want a return to Amazon as it is a total lost sale - they most likely get next to nothing or (!!!) have to pay. I.e. not only they loose $100 item but may have to pay extra on top of that.

I usually check Aliexpress for tooling that is on Amazon. Most of the time Ali beats amazon by a LOT. Not to mention much cheaper then Accusize. I would be shocked if Accusize beat ali on pricing of more then 10 items from their entire website that are say under 2 lbs.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The ITM website has that for $232.00 https://www.itm.com/product/mitutoy...onsite-sensor-absolute-scale-digital-calliper
I have purchased a couple items from them in the past, Fluke Multimeter, and they had the best price.

KBC still is showing the $285 high price, which is why we always check boys & girls. I bought a Mitutoyo mic from ITM on a similar discount. I cant recall off hand but their shipping was more like $30-ish. Came by Expresspost or Canpar or something.

Another thing that is not supposed to happen is cross border Mitutoyo selling, Apparently they have their sales districts. Sometimes the price difference can be substantial depending on the item. Now repair or warranty is another consideration.

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-01-31 6.40.18 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-01-31 6.40.18 PM.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 1

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I really want a Mitutoyo 8" caliper, but 240 bucks....

I'm all for quality, and I have a fair bit of Mitutoyo and Starret, and as a mechanic, I've spent a PILE of cash with Snap On, but I have been using a Napa Ultra Pro 6" caliper at home and at work for probably 10 years. Paid 25 bucks each, always accurate within a thou, and they are smooth as silk. I use calipers to get close, or rough work. I have all Mitutoyo mics from 0-1 to 12".

Are the Mitutoyo calipers really worth 10 times as much?

I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with this. If they really are that much better, I will buy them.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
It should be about 12% cheaper on the website then on Amazon. At least other Chinese brands in Canada are about 10% cheaper on their site then on Amazon.
They don't want a return to Amazon as it is a total lost sale - they most likely get next to nothing or (!!!) have to pay. I.e. not only they loose $100 item but may have to pay extra on top of that.

I usually check Aliexpress for tooling that is on Amazon. Most of the time Ali beats amazon by a LOT. Not to mention much cheaper then Accusize. I would be shocked if Accusize beat ali on pricing of more then 10 items from their entire website that are say under 2 lbs.

Ya, but...... My Accusize order is here the day after I order it with free shipping. I'll spend quite a bit more for a fast delivery and people I can call that same day when it isn't right. Sometimes a great deal isn't a deal at all when it's a month late and it's the wrong part.

I've used Ali, and I agree the price is often hard to beat. But I'm not always only focussed on price. Other factors matter to me too.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Are the Mitutoyo calipers really worth 10 times as much?
I don't know why I'm having such a hard time with this. If they really are that much better, I will buy them.
I only have one, a 6", bought on sale. It's silky smooth & brings a smile to my face. That came after a rash of crappy ones that had one irritating thing or another at 20-40$ each so the bar was set low. Sadly they wont die. Over time the low level stuff seems to be getting better. Less battery eating, less 'must zero display' with each use. You don't feel bad if you drop it. Tools are a personal choice. If you move up the ladder to Asimeto or certain Fowlers & other house brands, the price multiple is more like 50-75% depending on the model. Clough-42 has a good video talking about this aspect & he made some good points about how they all are subject to a bit of human / tactile / part specific error. I came to the same conclusion just measuring & re-measuring a 123 block without looking at the display, just by feel. Shocking as it may seem, the exact same number does not come up 100% of the time. Micrometers are better in this regard, they have smaller contact, usually a thimble clutch. But I don't own any big ones.

I also want an 8 or 12 precision measuring stick for the occasional job but I cant justify Mitutoyo over other things it I need more. For me it's a low use item for the lengths I predominantly work in. I keep looking for a nice old school dial Mitutoyo caliper in that length, but the clean ones hold their value. And buying that proverbial 'lightly used by a retired toolmaker' that looked like it was salvaged from the Titanic is not without its risks unless you are into resto's. So maybe that's the way to fleece your brain. Its an INVESTMENT. Yaaaah, thats the ticket. I'm doin it for my Kids! LOL

Last edited:

Darren

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I only have one, a 6", bought on sale. It's silky smooth & brings a smile to my face. That came after a rash of crappy ones that had one irritating thing or another at 20-40$ each so the bar was set low. Sadly they wont die. Over time the low level stuff seems to be getting better. Less battery eating, less 'must zero display' with each use. You don't feel bad if you drop it. Tools are a personal choice. If you move up the ladder to Asimetor or certain Fowlers & other house brands, the price multiple is more like 50-75% depending on the model. Clough-42 has a good video talking about this aspect & he made some good points about how they all are subject to a bit of human / tactile / part specific error. I came to the same conclusion just measuring & re-measuring a 123 block without looking at the display, just by feel. Shocking as it may seem, the exact same number does not come up 100% of the time. Micrometers are better in this regard, they have smaller contact, usually a thimble clutch. But I don't own any big ones.

I also want an 8 or 12 precision measuring stick for the occasional job but I cant justify Mitutoyo over other things it I need more. For me it's a low use item for the lengths I predominantly work in. I keep looking for a nice old school dial Mitutoyo caliper in that length, but the clean ones hold their value. And buying that proverbial 'lightly used by a retired toolmaker' that looked like it was salvaged from teh Titanic is not without its risks unless you are into resto's. So maybe that's the way to fleece your brain. Its an INVESTMENT. Yaaaah, thats the ticket. I'm doin it for my Kids! LOL
excellent post Peter.

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
… Sadly they wont die….Its an INVESTMENT. Yaaaah, thats the ticket. I'm doin it for my Kids! LOL
I’m finally in a position where I can get rid of all the crappy tools I bought when I couldn’t afford good quality. I don’t want to just throw them out, so I donate them to someone thats just starting out collecting tools. It’s a classic Win/Win!!!

I sure like the Mitutoyo steel rules, it really picked my arse that I had multiple cheap steel rules and they all disagreed by up to a millimeter. As another incentive, any new measuring tools I get must be dual imperial/metric...

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
I bought 2 good Mit rulers for my shop - now I have a pile of cheap ones hanging on the wall, to be used as layout straight edges, etc. I paid more for each Mit than the whole pile of bad rulers.

The cheap ones were all out more than a mm over each length. not good enough.