• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Another not Mitutoyo - beware

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
I found this on Mit's Cdn web site https://www.mitutoyo.ca/images/Distributors_webpage.pdf

ITM is listed which strongly supports the idea the calipers are legit. No guarantee they aren't also selling fakes but I think it quite unlikely - if they wanted to do so they'd likley create a new vendor rather than jeopardize their relationship with Mit. The positive reviews still seem like shills to me. Who writes like that? sounds more like fanboy cheerleading posts than legit reviews. All and all though, that distributorship really suggests its legit. For the really curious, or to protect yourself, a call to Mit wouldn't hurt.

Canadium is right, you just don't know who to trust. While the musical chair game of crypto currencies has captivated the world, the real potential of block chain technology imo is traceability, which can provide a way so you would know if they were legit. Doesn't seem to be getting much traction, despite how big a problem fakes are for some manufacturers

Hacker

Super User
I didn't realize that this has become such an issue, but it doesn't surprise me. The issue of brand and copyright infringement is something that the rest of the world has been after China for awhile. It seem the counterfeiters in China just move to different products as the authorities start to enforce the laws.
The last couple of years I started buying my mics and indicators from a couple of companies that are in the repair and calibration business. They occasionally end up with items that they have worked on and the customers have not returned to pick up the item. I get a good deal on a calibrated tool and they get their money.

deleted_user

Super User
I found this on Mit's Cdn web site https://www.mitutoyo.ca/images/Distributors_webpage.pdf

ITM is listed which strongly supports the idea the calipers are legit. No guarantee they aren't also selling fakes but I think it quite unlikely - if they wanted to do so they'd likley create a new vendor rather than jeopardize their relationship with Mit. The positive reviews still seem like shills to me. Who writes like that? sounds more like fanboy cheerleading posts than legit reviews. All and all though, that distributorship really suggests its legit. For the really curious, or to protect yourself, a call to Mit wouldn't hurt.

Canadium is right, you just don't know who to trust. While the musical chair game of crypto currencies has captivated the world, the real potential of block chain technology imo is traceability, which can provide a way so you would know if they were legit. Doesn't seem to be getting much traction, despite how big a problem fakes are for some manufacturers
I dont know what I am doing wrong... but I can't find ITM as a vendor selling Mitutoyo calipers on amazon.

deleted_user

Super User
View attachment 20538

from the link in the first post
This is funny

When I click that link this is what I get:

1643645161657.png

The only way I could find the ITM page was to click the small link below the add to cart box, called "14 new from" which took me to list of other vendors.

ITM does not ship via amazon. The calipers come directly from ITM source. Ergo I doubt they are fake. Given what I just experienced I'd question where people who claim they got a fake actually got them from. Maybe amazon themselves or another vendor... but went back to the wrong vendor page to leave a comment maybe? Not everyone responds to the "please leave a comment emails"

Anyway, it is again, buyer beware. Make sure you know who is sending you product and that they are reputable, especially on amazon

Last edited:

deleted_user

Super User
what are you viewing it on? I get the same as Darren, tried on firefox & brave on both win 7 and 10
Chrome.

But I don't think it is a browser issue. I think it is a amazon cookies issue. consumer with history of buying more from amazon than any other vendor gets shown different preferred product vendor first?

Six O Two

(Marco)
Yeah, I bought it 5 years ago on amazon. The listing images had a blank face, so the 'Mitutogo' branding was a definite bonus. I paid less than $20, and had no allusions as to the quality (or lack thereof) I would be getting.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I don't know how common it is for bigger sellers to post on Amazon, but it does happen. Some maintain a store, some decide to blow some inventory for whatever reason. I bought something that was 'fulfilled by Travers Tool' & you could trace back to their store. But I don't see them much anymore. Maybe it was a trial or more occasional thing. Accusize runs a website & also has Amazon listings. Some do this on Ebay but not Amazon.

Now whether ITM is the real ITM or some dude ITM would have to be figured out. Sometime like this DTI example you can trace back to the store (only to find the store sells used boots & Pokémon cards). I have interpreted Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca. to mean anybody doing the fulfillment gig. But maybe I'm wrong about that too. Idont think they do much checking until there is a complaint of misrepresentation.

Attachments

• SNAG-1-31-2022 006.jpg
    SNAG-1-31-2022 006.jpg
    151.2 KB · Views: 2
  • SNAG-1-31-2022 007.jpg
    SNAG-1-31-2022 007.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 2

StevSmar

(Steven)
Premium Member
it should be noted that no authorized seller is on amazon or ebay. Their marketing contract forbids it - that's wheat KBC tools has told me.
That’s great to know!!!

So if it’s posted as new it’s probably fake… It appears that once again if it looks too good to be true, it likely is…

I was looking at an ebay dial test indicator that was listed as “new old stock”, wonder if it’s been artificially faded on the cardboard box jacket, if I’m going to fake something this is comparatively easy to do too.

deleted_user

Super User
I don't know how common it is for bigger sellers to post on Amazon, but it does happen. Some maintain a store, some decide to blow some inventory for whatever reason. I bought something that was 'fulfilled by Travers Tool' & you could trace back to their store. But I don't see them much anymore. Maybe it was a trial or more occasional thing. Accusize runs a website & also has Amazon listings. Some do this on Ebay but not Amazon.

Now whether ITM is the real ITM or some dude ITM would have to be figured out. Sometime like this DTI example you can trace back to the store (only to find the store sells used boots & Pokémon cards). I have interpreted Ships from and sold by Amazon.ca. to mean anybody doing the fulfillment gig. But maybe I'm wrong about that too. Idont think they do much checking until there is a complaint of misrepresentation.

There was a study done on how amazon is a parasitic organism that in some cases in a beneficial parasite (such as for new online retailers) or a blood sucking leech that will eventually lead to the demise of the retailer.

The gist of that study is that for companies such as travers, grizzly, ITM and the like using amazon will eventually undermine your own retailing arm and lead to your demise. That is why we have seen some reputable retailers try amazon and leave.

For a company like accusize that had no presence previously it has been a boon. However they should be implementing a strategy to ween themselves off of amazon. They can do this by fulfilling all their own orders in a timely fashion and including links to their own website and value add-ons such as store sales opportunities only, or other helpful info...

I once considered becoming an amazon retailer, but decided Jeff Bezos was evil parasite. Sadly the pandemic has forced me to rely on amazon since I cannot shop in person with pandemic raging

Everett

Super User
Accusize does sell directly from their web site too, and I have ordered stuff directly from them. It is actually quite well laid out, IMHO, and even though it is import tooling it is still nice to have a Canadian supplier of it rather than having to come out of the far East or even trying to get it across the border from SHARS or HHIP.

Same reason why I do like KBC, as they have an established presence here in Canada so you can get help from them directly.

I do like to make purchases direct from sellers whenever I can but still sometimes buy from Amazon's store too. Granted, recently my fun budget has been directed otherwise, so it hasn't been an issue of late, lol!