• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Tips/Techniques Amazon Spends

Tips/Techniques

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
What am I getting suckered into now? :p
Ahhh no worries haha.
Just a simple procedure, really.
I'm testing something from a memory I seen on TV years back... Show was called "Trama in the ER" IIRC.
These guys say your "no stranger to danger" so... I was going to pencil you in for the 3rd spot but couldn't find a pencil. So, I used a sharpie!
Just have to order some surgical SS cutters from "Aliexpress" and we should be good to go sometime after Christmas.

On the day of... We will start out by making a couple twin paper rockets after supper, set em' off, then begin the procedure bout half past 8 Columbia time.

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Hmmm i have a memory like a steel trap. To bad the spring is busted. As for tools to buy everything the other guys mentioned and also a bunch of end mills.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Those Knippex wrenches? imo don't waste your money. If they were maximum on sale at CT fir $25, fine....but they're friggin 259 at amazon.ca. I regret missing the return date, not really well made, bit of gimmicky idea and cost about 10x what they should

I didn't post the link above. But I suspect we are talking apples and oranges.

Here are the ones I like.

Knipex 8701250 10-Inch Cobra Pliers https://a.co/d/cQ3KVPd

And here is a pair still under a hundred bucks.

2 Pc Cobra Pliers Set (87 01 180 & 87 01 250) https://a.co/d/avzrEqf

I love how finely and easily they adjust. The jaw grip is terrific. And they hold nuts and bolts quite well too.

Crankit

I love the 7" Knipex pliers wrench and their Twin Grip pliers, but currently Knipex prices on Amazon are almost double the cost over places like Mississauga Hardware Center.

Those Knippex wrenches? imo don't waste your money. If they were maximum on sale at CT fir $25, fine....but they're friggin 259 at amazon.ca. I regret missing the return date, not really well made, bit of gimmicky idea and cost about 10x what they should
I don't actually own any Knipex tools yet but certainly see a lot of other people rave about them.(see link below around 5:37 mark as an example) One reason I posted my list was because I was hoping for opinions from you guys about my choices so very happy to see this contrary opinion.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I don't actually own any Knipex tools yet but certainly see a lot of other people rave about them.(see link below around 5:37 mark as an example) One reason I posted my list was because I was hoping for opinions from you guys about my choices so very happy to see this contrary opinion.

The reason I even bought my first pair was a review I read where the author torture tested a dozen different pliers. It was a long time ago. As I recall, the Knipex came out on top in every category except for their high cost.

I agree that it's good to see a contrary opinion.

@Mcgyver - Knipex makes many different models of pliers. Could you please confirm that that the ones in the photo below are the ones that turned you off?

Screenshot_20221024_063931.jpg

And would you feel the same way at $45 each?

I agree that the button slip adjustment mechanism feels a bit gimmicky. I confess that I felt that way when I first got them too. It just seems too fragile and undersized for the job. But I have to admit that mine practically live in my tractor with me, I have used the snot out of them, and they still work like new. I also find that the fine adjustment is much more useful than the standard adjustable pliers are. Unlike you, I have grown to like mine a lot. My only real complaint is that they flash rust easier than they should. I left them out sitting on a machine in the field overnight and it rained. But I wiped them down with an oily rag and they cleaned up nicely. It probably would have been much worse if they had been left out for a month or put them away wet.

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
@Mcgyver - Knipex makes many different models of pliers. Could you please confirm that that the ones in the photo below are the ones that turned you off?

Not those, the ones in Ian's link that is in my post. They're kind of half adjutable wrench, half plier. They're a bit gimmicky. I wouldn't be complaining if they were $25 on sale at CT (in the better quality maximum line) but $250? I feel like a putz for not returning them.

these....cripes they just went up $16!

Ian, I have bought several knipex tools and and its a mixed bag. I like quality tools, but I'm not sure quality keeps pace with the premium. The above wrenches aren't a fail, just a bit gimmicky and in my opinion anyway grossly overpriced. (but I got suckered in - omg! a tool I don't have lol)

The other two stuck in my craw are

I use them for punching FEP for printer. Soft plastic, about .004" thick. The punch has a bit of a deformation so does not evenly contact the brass pad so it doesn't cut the disk right out. You have to go along and tear everyone off :( (the white plastic is just a template and is not what is being punched)

20220917_130859 zoomed.jpg

The other one I was disappointment with were the electronics snips

The blades did not align very well, they cut but fell short of cutting as flush as I thought they should. I returned the first pair thinking they were duds, but the second pair was just as bad. My old xcelite's seem better made.

None of it us horrendous, just a bit disappointing when you think you shelling out for high quality stuff.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I bought this recently. I have not used it much but have used another one a lot whether working on pc boards or pulling a sliver out of my finger. Figured one in the shop would be handy. The other older one lives on the electronics bench in the house.

That's funny, I have three. One in the shop, one on my electronics bench, and one on my reloading bench. All 3 of mine are on weighted bases so they are easily moved, all 3 have hinged dust covers, and two of them have a small area with higher magnification. The one in the shop doesn't have it but I wish it did. The other two need it more though.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Not those, the ones in Ian's link that is in my post. They're kind of half adjutable wrench, half plier. They're a bit gimmicky. I wouldn't be complaning if they were $25 on sale at CT (in the better quality maximum line) but $250? I feel like a putz for not returning them.

these....cripes they just went up $16!

Well, THAT makes more sense to me now. Ya, for that purpose (parallel flat jaw), they do seem outrageous. I figured we were probably talking apples and oranges. Those are more like adjutable wrenches. For that application, I prefer these from princess auto.

1666611580707.png

They are regular $33 but often go on sale for less.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
Top left are my pliers wrench ones, I use them WAY more than the cobra's which are bottom left.

Honestly, I find the Knipex stuff a bit more delicate than Channellock, but they are definitely made extremely well. The Channellock are just a bit heftier but at the same time sloppier. I think it would be safe to say I have a lot of first hand experience with each of their lineups :)

Knipex.jpg PXL_20220921_213633473.jpg

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Well, THAT makes more sense to me now. Ya, for that purpose (parallel flat jaw), they do seem outrageous. I figured we were probably talking apples and oranges. Those are more like adjutable wrenches. For that application, I prefer these from princess auto.

View attachment 27345

They are regular $33 but often go on sale for less.
725E717D-C8EC-47C1-90AC-E5820EB1148C.jpeg 5C20A005-1FBA-4CAE-80C2-101F4062A41C.jpeg You got my curiosity up, and I just bought that scale a couple weeks ago. The Snap On are feather light but no slippage, yet the Blue Point feel bulky in comparison. 12” compared to an 18”. Almost 2 1/2 pounds heavier.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I use them for punching FEP for printer. Soft plastic, about .004" thick. The punch has a bit of a deformation so does not evenly contact the brass pad so it doesn't cut the disk right out. You have to go along and tear everyone off :( (the white plastic is just a template and is not what is being punched)
FYI I had a similar requirement for gaskets made from a Teflon like sheet material. Maybe 1-2 thou, cant recall. But its that slippery waxy semi deformable stuff that is hard to work with. I made a simple tool from O1 & used a slightly larger diameter ball end mill to yield the crown point. Hardened & just left it that way (non-tempered). The plan was put it in a slow drill but just a half turn twist it by hand makes nice clean holes using a template & one of those craft cutting mats underneath so it can penetrate just a bit, but not dullen. I have not had to sharpen but I found a very fine grit# ball diamond tool that would probably do a few touch ups before using up the geometry.

Attachments

• IMG_4544_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_4544_edited-1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4546_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_4546_edited-1.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4552_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_4552_edited-1.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_4553_edited-1.jpg
    IMG_4553_edited-1.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 3

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I bought the small size for evaluation - general toolbox box inclusion, McGyver type jobs ( sorry @Mcgyver ) where I don't want to lug the entire wrench kit for repairs or get into certain nooks & crannies. They are kind of like bite-less vise grips for flat surfaces. But IMO take a bit of futzing to open & size & squeeze till you get used to them. So its nice, but ya, not sure I can justify any more of the big brothers. This coming from Mr. Tool Enthusiast especially of European lineage. I hope they don't kick me out of Tool-A-Holics Anonymous for this apparent lapse.

1666667719327.png

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
@Mcgyver I appreciate that you find the plierswrench from Knipex are over priced. I bought the really big one on sale at KMS at 79$, and it was a game changer. I managed to buy the other 2 sizes used, and I'm glad I did.

-- of course I'd wish they were lower than *half* that price, but I ususally reach for the 3 wrenches first - far less often for the vise grips or adjustable wrenches any more.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I bought the small size for evaluation - general toolbox box inclusion, McGyver type jobs ( sorry @Mcgyver ) where I don't want to lug the entire wrench kit for repairs or get into certain nooks & crannies. They are kind of like bite-less vise grips for flat surfaces. But IMO take a bit of futzing to open & size & squeeze till you get used to them. So its nice, but ya, not sure I can justify any more of the big brothers. This coming from Mr. Tool Enthusiast especially of European lineage. I hope they don't kick me out of Tool-A-Holics Anonymous for this apparent lapse.

View attachment 27365
If I would have recommended any size, it would be the 180's...I find the 125's a bit small for general use.

In any case, once you get them slid to the right size (which does take two hands and is kinda futzy), the actual use is quite easy...they have a sort of ratcheting ability built in and you get a good feel for fastener torque as your hands are what's putting the pressure on in the first place. I also find it easier to grab one of these if I'm not right by the tool box, as I don't have to worry about getting exactly the right size and they're not as lousy as an adjustable. And I super often use them with a cordless impact wrench, impact on one side, pliers wrench to hold the bolt/nut on the other side.