Tips/Techniques Amazon Spends

Tips/Techniques

architect

Super User
I received some Amazon gift cards and looking for suggestions on tools/materials/parts to spend it. What are some good deals and in stock items that you would recommend?! Thanks :)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I received some Amazon gift cards and looking for suggestions on tools/materials/parts to spend it. What are some good deals and in stock items that you would recommend?! Thanks :)

If you need it, amazon has it. LOL!

Is this happy birthday?

I like to buy accusize stuff from Amazon for the free shipping and free returns. If I have a problem though, I call accusize and they look after me directly much better than amazon would. You could try shopping in the accusize store on Amazon!

Do you keep a wanted list?

Just noodling my recent purchases to see if anything might tweak your fancy.

How about an electronic edge finder if you don't have one.

Gauge blocks / pins?

Sliding parallels?

123 or 246 blocks?

Noga double adjustable indicator holder. Get a big one and a small one.

Your favorite Knipex pliers.

I'll be interested in what others suggest. Something crazy useful might fall out of the nut tree.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Start you off, set of Wera screwdrives for $42:

I think you did that on purpose to prove Wera isn't really that expensive.

I'm glad you did. I am stunned. I would have expected Wera screw drivers to cost that much EACH!

I hereby take back everything I said about expensive Wera screw drivers in your travel tool kit!

Thats a GREAT price! I probably still would not want them in my travel tool kit cuz they take up too much room, but if you need screw drivers that's a great value.

I also note that Amazon sells individual Wera screw drivers so you can probably fill out the set with the missing ones.

Good find. I second your suggestion.

architect

Super User
Anything! Machining or general. No price limit as long as it's not full out machines. Even if it's too pricey for me maybe others could use the info.

The Noga is a good idea I've been meaning to grab one.

Don't know how Amazon gift cards work but I think it has to be sold by Amazon?

Last edited:
My own partial list for Santa.

architect

Super User
Yes! There are stuff sold and shipped by businesses who just list their stuff on Amazon (like Kijiji)

1666487963782.png

Then you have products sold by a business but shipped by Amazon warehouses. The inventory is held and organized by their system.

1666487829955.png

Then you have stuff that Amazon will sell and ship themselves. This is typically popular, more mainstream stuff.

1666487897072.png

There's many cases where Amazon will sell something for less after seeing their popularity. They get volume discount based on their buying powers.

SomeGuy

Hobbyist
I think you did that on purpose to prove Wera isn't really that expensive.

I'm glad you did. I am stunned. I would have expected Wera screw drivers to cost that much EACH!

I hereby take back everything I said about expensive Wera screw drivers in your travel tool kit!

Thats a GREAT price! I probably still would not want them in my travel tool kit cuz they take up too much room, but if you need screw drivers that's a great value.

I also note that Amazon sells individual Wera screw drivers so you can probably fill out the set with the missing ones.

Good find. I second your suggestion.

Yup, I paid $30.25 for my initial 6 piece set of Wera's (a slightly different one than this set)...and have bought singles for $4-12 each.

These little flat heads (they're small) are $3.85 right now:

Anything! Machining or general. No price limit as long as it's not full out machines. Even if it's too pricey for me maybe others could use the info.

The Noga is a good idea I've been meaning to grab one.

Don't know how Amazon gift cards work but I think it has to be sold by Amazon?

Few random ideas:
Knipex is always fun, pliers wrench or cobras in the 7-10-12" sizes...or their alligators are on for a good price ($118) for a 3 piece set:

How about a $10 Craftsman hammer?

$100 Mitutoyo 0-25mm micrometer?
$96 Mitutoyo 0-1" micrometer?

Fluke 323 clamp meter for $194?

I've shared it before, but I did a video on how to find randomly very cheap things on Amazon:

architect

Super User
Thanks for the list. I'll take a closer look those screw drivers will be good replacement for my cheap CT set.

Reminds me of a few of these JISones I have that I got specifically for my Japanese motorcycles. I had my friend bring them back for me when he was in Japan!

61B0mCet8RL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Reminds me of a few of these JISones I have that I got specifically for my Japanese motorcycles. I had my friend bring them back for me when he was in Japan!

Many Japanese cars also use JIS screws which are easy to mistake for Philips. JIS bits are an essential tool if you ever do Japanese brakes.

will be good replacement for my cheap CT set.

Don't forget that a 7/8 combination wrench will slip over those standard CT handles. Beats the crap out of using a vice-grip. The round half ball at the end makes it easy to put some heavy duty pressure on the screw while also facilitating a pure torque on the handle with the wrench. Almost as good as an impact driver.

You can get a set of JIS bits on Amazon. I cut mine in half to get 4 sets.

Here is an impact driver kit

And here are the 5/16" JIS impact bits for it.

There are some other REALLY handy automotive tools too.

Here is a lug nut kit. If you need it, there is also a 5 piece set with the bigger truck nuts in it. I keep a set in every car/truck I own!

Wheel Stud Alignment Kit. I made my first ones, but this comes with a case and fits 4 different wheel studs. One or two of these will dramatically improve how easy it is to put a wheel back on. (I only ever use one at the top). And sometimes I use this to take the tire off too!

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Since I'm new here, I don't know what tools or equipment you currently have. I also don't know what type of work your doing or planning to do in the near future.
Sounds like the members have some very good choices for you to choose from above.

If you are into machining, I would be looking at Mag base ( Noga mentioned above would be my choice as well ) I prefer Interapid indicators but something cheaper may work for you.
A Noga deburring tool comes in handy as well, many different blade choices.
A Dremel with a couple carbide burrs come in handy all the time.
If your drilling with HSS/cobalt rather than Carbide drills. I use different diameter threaded rods/lengths for deburring holes inside tube or opened up round stock. ( S7 is good, tough threaded rod for this purpose) Dremel for intersecting holes.
An Indian stone comes in handy as well.
Especially, when you drop a tool holder... Yes, with a cutter/drill bit in it... onto your milling table when switching out tools " Just because it will happen." Also, good for stoning the bottom of your vice after it sits in 1 spot for tool long on the mill.

Let us know what you decided to purchase once you pull the trigger if you don't mind.

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Since I'm new here, I don't know what tools or equipment you currently have. I also don't know what type of work your doing or planning to do in the near future.

Do you seriously think any of the rest of us remember such things? Maybe the odd very memorable thing. Like @Brent H' s wench. Best machine ever!

The only exception is @YYCHM - his brain has a room full of filing cabinets in it......

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Do you seriously think any of the rest of us remember such things? Maybe the odd very memorable thing. Like @Brent H' s wench. Best machine ever!

The only exception is @YYCHM - his brain has a room full of filing cabinets in it....

I seem to be developing memory loss quickly in the past couple years. Its frustrating beyond the words that could describe it haha.
I could certainly use a brain with extra rooms jus' like @YYCHM has because I'm getting messed up. Couldn't even find my snow brush earlier this week.
Thought I put it in the garage, ya it was under the back seat of the truck.. Imagine that.

My wife went out and said " here it is under the seat" you were just looking like a man she said.
That's why I make 1 twin paper rocket each evening now. A little heavy weight oil, cardboard filter and Columbian insulation.

I will need a gift card for a 5 axis mill to perform some needed brain surgery soon.
Can't wait to ask the wife for that 5 axis machine next...

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I seem to be developing memory loss quickly in the past couple years. Its frustrating beyond the words that could describe it haha.
I hear and understand you on that one. I used to have a very good memory (at least if I remember correctly) and the loss I've seen already has me concerned for future years. Let me know how you make out with your 5 axis mill and the brain surgery, I can be your second patient.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I hear and understand you on that one. I used to have a very good memory (at least if I remember correctly) and the loss I've seen already has me concerned for future years. Let me know how you make out with your 5 axis mill and the brain surgery, I can be your second patient.

I dunno about that one. If he screws up he will likely have a great memory of a very bad experience. I'll see how the second machining operation goes. Then we can try it on @Chicken lights . He has a pretty good memory too. If he turns out as good as @YYCHM ,then I'll sign up for the 4th procedure.