• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Aluminum rods

RobinHood

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There was a video of a fellow using them... wish I could think of his name

maybe it was this one?

Johnwa

Ultra Member
@RobinHood
The ones kms has are low temperature. They claim you can use a propane torch. I think the ones @Tom O linked to are similar.

i have an aluminum repair I need to get after and may just give them a try.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Here is one of the 3 in one soldering / brazing vid's He gives a good testing to the process. Once he hangs up his dam coat! :rolleyes:

Tom O

Ultra Member
Another one here on thread repair stripping a aluminium thread with a torque wrench fixing it with rod then stripping again with the torque wrench comparison.

Johnwa

Ultra Member
I broke the handle on a big drill and want to repair it. Its likely older than I am and is too well made throw out,

DavidR8

Scrap maker
Administrator
Premium Member
I broke the handle on a big drill and want to repair it. Its likely older than I am and is too well made throw out,

You might have to get that TIG’ed if it has to bear much load.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
I wondered if those low temp aluminium brazing rods were highly skill dependent. ie. way better than me.

@Johnwa if you want to come over and try TIG on that please just ask. I've welded a motorcycle clutch handle back together with it so I think your drill handle sounds similar.

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
KMS doesn’t have any rods in Calgary anyway.

Why am I not surprised. They haven't been able to fulfill any of the orders for stuff I have attempted to placed over the last two years. All refunded. I've pretty much given up on them.

Tom O

Ultra Member
A scrap of copper behind the weld and you should be fine.
And if you want to try those 3 in 1 rods that could happen also.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
If this is the stuff to "stick weld" aluminium give it a pass. It "works" sort of but not really. I guess if you are on a desert island and have nothing else to weld aluminium with its better then nothing. But out of 10 I would give it a 1. 0 wold be if it does not work.

I have aluminium TIG rod and lifetime supply of steel TIG rod. I think I also have lots of stainless TIG rod (another lifetime) as well as some silicon bronze.

You could also MIG aluminium if you had a push-pull gun and AC supporting welder.

BTW, stick welding aluminium electrodes are super expensive - about 100x more then they are actually worth (which is slightly more then AL scrap).

Welding with a torch could be an option - certainly it cannot be worse then stick & probably much better.

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
BTW I MIG aluminum all the time without a spool gun. I use an old 'Clarke Weld' 80 amp, and run it through normally. never get a cobble using .035 wire.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
With Dabbler's encouragement I've had a go at MIG aluminium without a spool gun - it generally works for me. When it does not I get a burn back into the tip which plugs it. If I don't notice then I get bird nest too!

Tom O

Ultra Member
I have a older Millermatic 135 it comes with stitch, spot and pulse with another dial for burn back .023 though. But I’ve never considered using aluminum in it!

Dabbler

ersatz engineer
The secret of the Clarke is that the torch length is very short - about 4 feet. That helps a lot. I keep it around to do aluminum only.