• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Alba Shaper 4S Shaper, $1200, Calgary, AB

Xyphota

Ultra Member
That vise actually came with my mill, I just took it out to show @Dabbler .

I’ll use that one for first chips, hopefully I can find something a little more substantial eventually LOL

Xyphota

Ultra Member
image.jpg

It came with some other doodads that I think are power down feed related? I ordered the manual from lathes.co.uk which should be here in a couple weeks. Hopefully there is some more info in there lol.

I plan on doing a full teardown in the coming weeks, and I also need to purchase a vfd

image.jpg

trevj

Ultra Member
View attachment 34323

It came with some other doodads that I think are power down feed related? I ordered the manual from lathes.co.uk which should be here in a couple weeks. Hopefully there is some more info in there lol.

I plan on doing a full teardown in the coming weeks, and I also need to purchase a vfd

View attachment 34324
As I see it, the little bevel edged rod at the top of the picture is the feed ratchet, fits in the casting on the lower LH side. May be broken off, as it should be spring loaded, and have a cross pin to fit the slot in the casting. Depending which direction you want feed, you pull up on the plunger, and rotate it around, so it feeds Left to Right, or Right to Left.

It occurs that it may have been parts for a power down feed on the clapper box, too!

I'm betting those two 90 degree angle bits of sheet good, are lost from someone's Keyway Broach set.

Can't really tell if its the pictures or the parts in them, but is the shaft on the feed pawl bent?

I was in a place in Edmonton, that was an almost entirely CNC shop. It was nice! Clean floors, well lit, no parts or stock laying around to trip over... The one incongruity, was the big ol' shaper sitting in the middle of the floor! When asked, they said that they had one old East European guy that knew his way around it, and they charged rates for keyways and slots in oil field equipment, that earned the old shaper a place on the floor.

Proxule

Ultra Member
View attachment 34323

View attachment 34324
I see a NDP sign on the lawn, Oh boy..... This is unacceptable..... We will have to have a discussion!

lmao

Xyphota

Ultra Member
That sign is not in front my house, so I’m still politics exempt LOL.
It occurs that it may have been parts for a power down feed on the clapper box, too!

Its got all the power cross feed bits installed already and I saw it work when it was under power so I think these are power down feed parts. The one feed pall ratchet is indeed bent. I wonder if the big chunk out of the table was from the same crash that broke the power down feed LOL.

And Tubalcain posted a shaper safety video but two days ago! What wonderful timing :D

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Mine can be switched between power feeding the table LR or UD.
The up/down crankshaft is bent on mine but it almost looks like the power feed assembly can be swapped to the up/down crankshaft. The extraneous parts in the box I think are for the clapper down feed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    526.3 KB · Views: 6

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Spare parts are definitely clapper down feed related. It looks like there is a differential type transmission that lives in the ram that are missing, as well as a second mechanism that twists the lead screw on the tool post slide. Should be some fun parts to make!

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Mcgyver

Ultra Member
Congrats, my impression of them was always that they were a well made achine, and imo, thats the goldilocks size for the home shop...not too big, not too small