• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. It's Tomorrow Saturday! you can still RSVP until I stop checking my phone tomorrow More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Alba Shaper 4S Shaper, $1200, Calgary, AB

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Did you witness it running?
Yes, the fellow showing me the machine fortunately had it all hooked up. It looks like he fully lubricated since posting the advertisement. It looked pretty dry in the photos he uploaded. We ran it in each speed of the gear box. This model comes with a clutch, but one of the push rods looked a bit bent so the clutch couldn't fully decouple. That should be an easy fix. The only thing we did not check was the total stroke adjustment.

The way's looked ok, but one of the rear way wipers was missing, so there was some visible scoring on on the rear end of the ram on the one side. One of the T-slots on the table had a pretty good ~2 inch chunk missing on one side, but I saw that in the photos so at least that wasn't a surprise lol.

The clapper was in a box off to one side with what appeared to be all the pieces, except for the mounting bolt. This may be a whitworth thread machine so that'll be a fun little fastener to turn up on the lathe.

This machine is coming out of a machine shop. The seller said they bought this shaper 15 years ago with a specific project in mind but never ended up using it. He was firm on price, but with the clapper included I though $1200 is pretty fair.

You could always bring to the meet-up as a show and tell:p
I did joke in the meetup thread that everyone should bring their favourite machine ;). Maybe I should just lend it to @RobinHood after my Dad inevitably tells me there is no room for it LOL.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I was expecting to be able to rent a drop deck trailer from sun-belt rentals but they no longer have it listed on their website. Does anybody have any suggestions for how to move this home? The seller did say they are happy to help move it via fork lift onto a trailer if needed.

I'm trying to find a spec on the weight of the shaper, but I have reason to believe it is over 1500 lbs and my Dad's truck bed is only rated to 1300 lbs.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Trailer and a gantry crane, or trailer and hire a picker truck for an hour

Or trailer and a ramp/pipes/come along or winch

Edit;

Worst case....driver direct

trevj

Ultra Member
Trailer and a gantry crane, or trailer and hire a picker truck for an hour

Edit;

Worst case....driver direct
Have done well with a Tow truck, as far as loading and unloading heavy iron goes. By the time I tipped the guy enough to buy him a box of beers, it still cost me less than two boxes of beers! :)

Maybe more risk than using a Rigger outfit, but we are usually not dealing with $100K+ machinery either.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Have done well with a Tow truck, as far as loading and unloading heavy iron goes. By the time I tipped the guy enough to buy him a box of beers, it still cost me less than two boxes of beers! :)

Maybe more risk than using a Rigger outfit, but we are usually not dealing with $100K+ machinery either.

I know a few guys who use tow trucks to unload welding machines out of the back of trucks, I've never done it, but it apparently works pretty well so long as you can make it work within the limitations of the tow truck boom

Don't put to much stock in a knuckle boom operator as a 'rigger', there is literally no technical training required to run a knuckle boom, no trade ticket required. You don't need a crane ticket or any kind of rigging training until there is a live cable involved.

Chipper5783

I was expecting to be able to rent a drop deck trailer from sun-belt rentals but they no longer have it listed on their website. Does anybody have any suggestions for how to move this home? The seller did say they are happy to help move it via fork lift onto a trailer if needed.

I'm trying to find a spec on the weight of the shaper, but I have reason to believe it is over 1500 lbs and my Dad's truck bed is only rated to 1300 lbs.
My latest move was a 3000# surface grinder. I used a tilt deck trailer from United Rentals. The seller had some 4” wide strips of hard plastic (~1/2” thick) - walked it along with a crow bar, then pulled with a comalong. For the drive I put the machine down on the wooden trailer deck (3000# is easy enough to lift with a bar and only had a 1/2” to go). Other methods would be fine too, just sharing what worked well for me on this move.

I had tried to rent a drop deck from Sunbelt, but it was already booked out. The tilt deck turned out to be cheaper and worked really well for transporting the SG.

Bandit

Super User
There are a couple of drop decks at Sunbelt in Okotoks, I have used one a couple of times now. I am fairly sure will be at the Calgary meet on Sat., so worst comes to worst, load it in my truck with fork lift. Unload at my shop later. Should be good for 2500lb. easy.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
There are a couple of drop decks at Sunbelt in Okotoks, I have used one a couple of times now. I am fairly sure will be at the Calgary meet on Sat., so worst comes to worst, load it in my truck with fork lift. Unload at my shop later. Should be good for 2500lb. easy.
That's a very generous offer of you! I believe I have a plan that will work but I'll keep you posted haha! Thanks! :)

Proxule

Ultra Member
THIS IS THE WAY.....

Before I learned of these, I moved my Elliott 14S with a home depot open trailer and 2 ton engine hoist.
gluck

Rauce

Ultra Member

This works just fine, I got a 3000lb lathe off a uhaul trailer this way on my own without incident. Wouldn’t recommend the method for a knee mill because of the tip over factor but something more stable it’s not difficult at all.