• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Alba Shaper 4S Shaper, $1200, Calgary, AB

Xyphota

Ultra Member
Are you referring to something about the shape of the machine, or by the seller's description? lol

I'd love to get a shaper eventually, not sure if I have space at the moment. Does anybody know about these machines? I've never heard of the Alba before.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Are you referring to something about the shape of the machine, or by the seller's description? lol

I'd love to get a shaper eventually, not sure if I have space at the moment. Does anybody know about these machines? I've never heard of the Alba before.
"... just taking up space."

pretty low price too. I'd use their own words to negotiate and imply it is just a big boat anchor :p

YYCHM

(Craig)
Premium Member
The clapper and tool post appear to be missing....

Last edited:

trevj

Ultra Member

Alba is a respected English made machine.

No vice, and no clapper box, makes it a big 'don't bother' unless you have a source for same.

Not near so worried about the tool post, those are easy.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I understand the clapper is an integral piece of kit. Is there something unique about shaper vices? As there a reason you can’t throw any old vise on there?

trevj

Ultra Member
I understand the clapper is an integral piece of kit. Is there something unique about shaper vices? As there a reason you can’t throw any old vise on there?
They are built a bit backwards from milling vises, typically the Shaper Vise has the moving jaw opposite the tightening handle, so that it holds the work against the solid side of the assembly.

Xyphota

Ultra Member
I'm going to go look at this today (perhaps mistakenly LOL)! Is there any shaper specific inspection advice? I've never inspected one in person before. I will inquire about the clapper and vise of course. Hopefully I can see it under power.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Yes, need to make a clapper for it. It appears to be 12" or so.

Price is OK, I would say even good. If you could get it for a 1000 it would be very good.

Note I got a shaper 13" for 1500 CAD about 4 years ago. So around 2000 in today's dollars. Came with a vise and a clapper. I do not think the original vise or clapper are worth $1000.

You can use milling vise, the vise that came with my shaper is shaper vise but say a 6" with extended jaws like I have for sale would be fine - you can compare them side by side if you do not believe me.

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
Looks like it's at a business, hopefully they have an overhead crane or a forklift at the least, then at all you have to worry about it's unloading