Al in Calgary

Kris Jensen

Hey Wayne welcome. I have one of my main clients out in Cochrane so I'm out there once or twice a month so if you need any help on anything let me know.

Tom O

Ultra Member
Welcome & ya, hang in there. I signed up for an intro TIG welding night course at SAIT, more for bucket list personal interest & 'maybe-one-day' wishful thinking purchase consideration. So maybe I will pick your brain on this topic when the time comes. Although between $U exchange & working in volatile O&G, who knows....
So what did it cost for Sait, how did you find the course was it worth taking?

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Well, I've taken the MIG and the TIG night cont ed. style classes at SAIT. The good is you learn a lot, get to use equipment and get a feel for it, and learn some welding and get critiqued by the instructor. You make really rapid progress for the first couple of classes, then I'd say less so. The con is the classes are bloody expensive. $500ish. I'd prefer half the length and half the price myself. It has put me off taking more classes at SAIT unfortunately. Anyone else?

Tom O

Ultra Member
Last time I looked that one was $600.00 I'm wondering if that is the one Peter T was talking about.
Now that it is warming up a bit I'll start venturing out in the garage lol.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I'm mid-way through the SAIT Tig course & finding it pretty good overall. Minimal classroom stuff, mostly hands on. They divvy it roughly 2 classes carbon steel + 2 stainless + 2 aluminum + couple classes for project. The project sounds pretty loose & open - either a class project or bring in what you have that needs welding. Mostly attendees are no experience hobbyist guys like me, maybe the odd prospective career changer. They use Miller 200-series boxes & the facilities are quite nice - your own booth, table, nice tools etc. The handout mask & oven mitts are somewhat lame, but a student number gets you a discount at AirLiquide which netted cheaper than KMS sale. So far, mostly flat stock / coupon bar work so basically different joints, thicknesses, fillers, settings etc. Although a tad repetitive, its probably the normal training approach - walk before you run. TIG is fascinating to me. Once you start to get the hang of technique & settings, its a great feeling to make a nice weld. Not sure if/when I will invest in the gear, its pretty spendy. But between this intro & hours of Youtube grazing, I'm 99% sure TIG is most aligned weapon of choice to my project needs. So treating this as a 'down payment' :) I'm sure its like most things, the real progress happens at home in the shop with lots of practice.

Yup, ejumacation costs these days. Its $540 for 30 hrs. I think some folks could tax deduct tuition if it aligned to work. I need to check into that.
http://register.sait.ca/saitApp/cal...Type=All&courseCode=WELD-204&startTerm=000000

Kris Jensen

Last time I looked that one was $600.00 I'm wondering if that is the one Peter T was talking about.
Now that it is warming up a bit I'll start venturing out in the garage lol.
$600 pay me $300 and I'll teach you everything I know

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I might just take you up on that one day buddy. Especially to see your Everlast... now that I have a primitive understanding of what the blinky light button & knobs actually do! :)

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
@alman Welcome to the forum!
In your experience what is the best way to clean up greasy hot roll to prep it for welding and painting? I've been going to the car wash and washing the material before I get it home, that helps a lot, but I still seem to spend a lot of tedious time with an angle grinder and a cup brush cleaning it up more, and wiping it down with degreaser, towels, etc. I'm hoping there is a better answer - a quicker answer. Something I can afford and do in the garage...
Have you tried super clean? It's available at canadian tire and breaks down grease like nothing else I have seen. We used it at MMI for exactly that and I used it to blast thru the shipping wax/grease in my mini machines. Just super clean in a spray bottle, wait and wipe. I've got a sample bottle I can give you, it was a world of wheels freebee and I have a jug

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
It's on sale at can tire. $12 for a gallon and the small bottle is $4 ish. I bought some and it does work well on greasy metals. Thanks for the tip @Bofobo

Bofobo

M,Mizera(BOFOBO)
It's on sale at can tire. $12 for a gallon and the small bottle is $4 ish. I bought some and it does work well on greasy metals. Thanks for the tip @Bofobo
It's uses go far beyond metal, I gave one of the sample bottles to a friend of mine, she says it works great on greasy clothes too. I don't have a woman to answer to when I wash my greasy clothes so it never occurred to me lol. Who knows might save a marriage haha