Al in Calgary

alman

Hi All,
welder / millwright with ubber electrical experience. nice to see a forum like this here in Calgary, , networking helps and maybe some have skills to share an pass around for helping others.

FYI, looking for a decent single phase / 220VAC lathe, 1 1/2" bore or better.

been gearing up garage to hopefully do a little work on the side to keep from goin crazy since getting laid off, , , expect its gonna be a while :(

have welding gear -
Miller Syncrowave - DC +/- an Squarewave AC for aluminum
Lincoln 180HD MIG with Ali gun
Miller Maxstar 150STL, ubber portable
hypertherm plasma cutter
1/2" 1n 1 1/2 hp drill presses
9x12 Horiz/ vert bandsaw
3T arbor press
20 & 40 gal wash tank
glass bead cabinet for blasting parts
an my pride an joy, , steam pressure washer ! :)

If anyone has any projects an could use some help with weld or fab / material cut an drill, drop a line

Alexander

Ultra Member
Administrator
Welcome to the form. Hang in there on your job search. The local economy has completely derailed at the moment. On the plus side you should be able to find some side jobs and the job market will bounce back.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Welcome & ya, hang in there. I signed up for an intro TIG welding night course at SAIT, more for bucket list personal interest & 'maybe-one-day' wishful thinking purchase consideration. So maybe I will pick your brain on this topic when the time comes. Although between $U exchange & working in volatile O&G, who knows....

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Welcome & ya, hang in there. I signed up for an intro TIG welding night course at SAIT, more for bucket list personal interest & 'maybe-one-day' wishful thinking purchase consideration. So maybe I will pick your brain on this topic when the time comes. Although between $U exchange & working in volatile O&G, who knows....

I have an Everlast TIG AC/DC plasma stick all in one. It was only about $1500 CAD! and it's been pretty good. Welds Aluminium etc. @Kris Jensen has a few Everlast machines too. I think they are good value for money. I got it from http://www.everlastwelders.ca/multipurposeunit/powerpro-164.php - turns out it is a guy who is the Canadian dealer. Small outfit. I'd buy another one from them. I saw a guy buying a Miller TIG at KMS the other day, I think it was close to $4K. !!!

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
@alman Welcome to the forum!
In your experience what is the best way to clean up greasy hot roll to prep it for welding and painting? I've been going to the car wash and washing the material before I get it home, that helps a lot, but I still seem to spend a lot of tedious time with an angle grinder and a cup brush cleaning it up more, and wiping it down with degreaser, towels, etc. I'm hoping there is a better answer - a quicker answer. Something I can afford and do in the garage...

alman

@alman Welcome to the forum!
In your experience what is the best way to clean up greasy hot roll to prep it for welding and painting? I've been going to the car wash and washing the material before I get it home, that helps a lot, but I still seem to spend a lot of tedious time with an angle grinder and a cup brush cleaning it up more, and wiping it down with degreaser, towels, etc. I'm hoping there is a better answer - a quicker answer. Something I can afford and do in the garage...

Hi,
depending on how much grease there is, I use a steamer, , , hot steam breaks grease down so fast, cold pressure jus blows it around. wire wheel only spreads it around, , , gas is a cheap degreaser, but very flammable, , varsol works well also, I am in the SE, Queensland area

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Interesting Al. I invite you to post some pictures of "an my pride an joy, , steam pressure washer !" ??? What brand and model? Diesel? Gasoline? Electric?

alman

Hi Janger,
It is wired for 220VAC, but can change to 110, , but better consumption ratio power wise at 220.
Has port connection to use soaps and degreasers compatible with pump. Gonna wash exterior of house this spring, way better with steam instead of high pressure to get grime off. Great for engines and equipment like bobcats and the like before working on them. Clean as a whistle. ! Let me know if you want to try. Need a decent warmish day, as I have to run garden hose for water, don't have running water in garage, , , yet.

Attachments

• IMG_7910R.jpg
    IMG_7910R.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 6

Matt_b_m

Welcome aboard Al! Hang in there and keep busy bud, things cant stay down forever. Times like these are when the inventive minds create the next new thing just in time for the next round!
Enjoy

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Hi Janger,
It is wired for 220VAC, but can change to 110, , but better consumption ratio power wise at 220.
Has port connection to use soaps and degreasers compatible with pump. Gonna wash exterior of house this spring, way better with steam instead of high pressure to get grime off. Great for engines and equipment like bobcats and the like before working on them. Clean as a whistle. ! Let me know if you want to try. Need a decent warmish day, as I have to run garden hose for water, don't have running water in garage, , , yet.

I do want to try it. I need to make a firewood holder and the material needs to be painted nice to last outside.

So guys I have some tremclad latex primer and metal paint. I was going to thin and spray it (the firewood rack). Is there something else that would be better ? The spray cans stink so much but this stuff is very low odor. Not sure about the durability.

Matt_b_m

Not that it might help you much since you already have the paint, but honestly I've had great reliability with the traditional oil based Tremclad and a brush, primed and unprimed. The brush streaks vanish as the paint dries and the finish is smooth and durable. I have a utility trailer I painted in 2003 that until this year never rusted and it only did so because I towed it when the roads were wet and had been salted. The color palet can be limited but I also discovered that some small rural type hardware stores carry Ace Hardware branded implement paint, so Cat yellow, Ford blue, JD green and yellow, MF red, etc. The down side being they take a while to dry, but for me it's been the perfect outdoor paint for things that need to last. A wood rack is a prime example of something I'd want a good tough finish on and judging from the wood, cement, rebar, motorcycles, ATVs I've carried on my trailer the paint held true to being durable.
As for prep, a lot of times I haven't really worried with that stuff. Like mentioned, varsol, lacquer thinner, and most importantly clean rags.

I do remember an old apartment that I had that will proudly display it's high gloss Ford blue kitchen cupboards and grey cabinet bases for a long time....

I built a work bench a year ago for reloading ammunition and I wanted a smooth durable finish. I used MDF and Tremclad grey with a brush. The MDF is terrible at sucking the paint up, but the second coat a few days later turned out with an amazing high gloss finish that is really durable and so far as resisted gun oil and similar.

Hope that helps.

Janger

(John)
Administrator
Vendor
Another question @alman - does it use electricity to heat the water or burns fuel? I was looking at them on eBay and I was confused if they were dual fuel diesel/electric or what?

alman

Another question @alman - does it use electricity to heat the water or burns fuel? I was looking at them on eBay and I was confused if they were dual fuel diesel/electric or what?

Hi Janger,
The AC power drives the pressure pump and the burner / blower, , , the unit uses either diesel and or kerosene to heat the water to 250D f

Wayne

Hi,
I am out in the country past Cochrane, would you be interested in building/ welding a lathe stand or modifying the one that I have? I would like it to be more solid and easier to attach the lathe to. I would also like to have some heavy screw in/ bolt adjustable legs on it to assist with leveling. And if anyone can think of a way that I could have wheels on it to move it around and then lower it to set it on the ground to use it. Any ideas?

Jwest7788

Joshua West
Administrator
Hi,
I am out in the country past Cochrane, would you be interested in building/ welding a lathe stand or modifying the one that I have? I would like it to be more solid and easier to attach the lathe to. I would also like to have some heavy screw in/ bolt adjustable legs on it to assist with leveling. And if anyone can think of a way that I could have wheels on it to move it around and then lower it to set it on the ground to use it. Any ideas?
Hey Wayne,

Kinda late replying here, but consider posting to the "Request a job from a member" section of the site for this.

Also, @Kris Jensen is a welder who takes on project work, try reaching out to him.

JW

Wayne

Hi,
Thanks for the information. I now have the lathe mounted on a King lathe stand. It will have to sit where it is until I figure out a leg system that is height adjustable that might even allow wheels to be put on and off. I think my location [In the country puts some people off].
Wayne