• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - tentative date Saturday, April 20/2024. Other regions are also discussing meet ups. If you want one in your area get going on organizing it! discussion
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion NEW LOCATION

Air vs Coolant

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Using air, and coolant.
This is based on my experience as a Tool & Die maker moving into CNC from years ago. Some may be familiar with this company once you see the blocks I post. I was contracting myself out as Storm Tooling Inc at the time.
Forming dies for Mach Truck. Hand transfer gas tank strap forms. I always had a blast, but, I no longer build huge dies or machine big stuff for that matter these days haha.

Machining with air and acculube.
Once everything was roughed out and semi finished, I would let the machine finish overnight and head out for a round of golf. The following day, I would flip things and finish drilling with coolant.
You can see why I only used coolant for drilling haha, really sucked blowing coolant out of all the 5/8 SHSS. Tapped the whole plate of PH4140 with 1 OSG (spiral) hy-pro tap at just over 30ipm. IIRC it took me about 2.5 hours just to tape the holes using rapid tap.
Times were good back in the day!!!

I made up a riser table for clamping and multiple block machining. You may be able to see where I engraved Storm Tooling on my riser plate. I ended up leaving it at the plant, made another 1 for my own purpose a couple years ago.

Has 5/8-11 tapped holes, Hardened keys front and back for toe clamping along with 4 dowels in each corner, 1" diameter which were saved as a template for G54, 55, 56, 57 . This way I just had to merge my blocks onto the template, move them to the corners which were all preset in the controller.

Let me see if I can post some pictures if anyone is interested.

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Roughing with 2" Ingersol shell mill. .250r button cutter with 4 pockets.
Machining A2 .
Running at 1850 Rpm, .06 DOC @ 240 ipm.
Left .02 for high speed finishing
Block stayed luke warm to the touch.

Attachments

• 20181212_103617.jpg
    20181212_103617.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 8

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Using an interapid indicator.
I checked to make sure the blocks were sitting good and flat. No shims required after a good ground bottom side.

Attachments

• 20181203_131146.jpg
    20181203_131146.jpg
    261.1 KB · Views: 5

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Tool and Die guys will know what these pockets were milled in for.
Using a 2" shell mill 3 insets, square corner insert with .03 corner rad to help keep the chatter down.
Yes, you get some chatter with a tool stick out like this haha. Just cutting with air, nice chip evacuation.
We all know, carbide does no like double cutting its chips...

Attachments

• 20181218_120046.jpg
    20181218_120046.jpg
    329.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
1.5 " 30 x 60 PH4140 plate Blanchard ground to .001
01 key stock. After heat treat and grinding, cut the slots in the table to a LTF. ( lite tap fit )
No chamfer on the table slot so no splinter chips could get stuck in between my block set ups and key.

Attachments

• 20181130_064208.jpg
    20181130_064208.jpg
    323.5 KB · Views: 5

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Both blocks almost Roughed out . Ready for semi finishing rads etc...
I will try to open my old computer and post my Work-nc cad/cam file for these blocks if anyone is interested.

Attachments

• 20181213_083551.jpg
    20181213_083551.jpg
    328.3 KB · Views: 7

little ol' e

Jus' a hobby guy
Semi finishing with a 1" bull nose 2 inserts .236r . Set it and forget it, hit the driving range by 9am.
T-off time @ 10 back in the day.

Attachments

• 20181218_092910.jpg
    20181218_092910.jpg
    351.6 KB · Views: 6

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Thanks for looking, I have tons of work to do so I better get back at er'
Happy hump day to all!
Cheers,
Eric

Happy Hump Day???

Never heard of that before.

Humping has a a very physical meaning in my vocabulary... ;)

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
Thanks for sharing those pics. While I didn't recognize the name Storm tooling, I did see DBG on one of the blocks in the pics. I've done a fair bit of work for them over the years and I've probably built a few checking fixtures for some of those tank straps you built dies for. Small world. Those were always some "fun" fixtures. Not overly complicated, but pushing it for tool stickouts etc.

I'd love to have that fixture plate that's on your machine. Looks very handy.

Ironman

Ultra Member
I always thought Hump Day was the day the government stopped stealing(humping) from you, usually sometime in June. Last Year it was June 15

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I always thought Hump Day was the day the government stopped stealing(humping) from you, usually sometime in June. Last Year it was June 15

They stop???? Can I have some of whatever you are on?

That's the first I ever heard of THAT!

I don't know how you hide. They always keep right on humping me. Even when I'm sleeping or sick. It comes right off my pay check, I don't even get interest for them holding it. And of course let's not forget about PST/GST/HST, Fuel taxes, carbon taxes, taxes on taxes, Fees, surcharges, etc etc that I pay again whenever I try to spend a teeny tiny bit of my hard earnings.

There is no Hump day when humping ends. Every single day of your life is a day you get humped. Then you die and your corpse gets humped again.

I don't believe that this statement is political. It's just graveyard humour. But if anyone is offended please tell me and I'll delete it. No explanations required.

Last edited:

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
They stop???? Can I have some of whatever you are on?

That's the first I ever heard of THAT!
What I believe that reference was about is the the theoretical day in a year that all your work pay for the rest of the year then is yours to keep. Up to that point in the the year all your work pay was going to taxes/government.