• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Affordable grinding/sanding implements?

keane

Hi all,

Hope you're all doing well, I've been into knifemaking pushing on 3 years now and have been using a 5x96 edge sander (works for the job) to profile my blades. It's pretty annoying since the motor spins clockwise and the dust collection is extremely difficult, as well as putting clean edge on the blades due to the sheer size of the sander.

I've been looking at some of the nicer 2 x 72 and 2 x 48 belt grinders and the cheapest ones ive been able to find on marketplace are still $1.5k+, at that point I could buy some of the partially pre-fabricated kits brand new.

I have access to a welder and some basic fabrication tools, but the idea of making one seems nice but I don't know if I would be able to pull it off.

Anyone run into a similar problem? Any solutions? All responses are appreciated thank you and have a good day.

2x grinders are very simple to make, even a cobbled together one works, if you have access to the basics you should be able to piece something together

The wheel kits are available on Amazon, or eBay for under 150$ then a 3/4-1.5hp 3650 motor from marketplace or princess auto, should be able to piece something together for sub 500$

I have built a 2x72 and 2x42, several of the other members have built grinders as well, lots of help here if you get stuck

Hi all,

Hope you're all doing well, I've been into knifemaking pushing on 3 years now and have been using a 5x96 edge sander (works for the job) to profile my blades. It's pretty annoying since the motor spins clockwise and the dust collection is extremely difficult, as well as putting clean edge on the blades due to the sheer size of the sander.

I've been looking at some of the nicer 2 x 72 and 2 x 48 belt grinders and the cheapest ones ive been able to find on marketplace are still $1.5k+, at that point I could buy some of the partially pre-fabricated kits brand new.

I have access to a welder and some basic fabrication tools, but the idea of making one seems nice but I don't know if I would be able to pull it off.

Anyone run into a similar problem? Any solutions? All responses are appreciated thank you and have a good day.
Do you have a hack saw and beefy arms? If so you can make your own very high quality belt grinder. It helps if you have a big milling machine tho

I purchased a nice 2x72 plan from a fellow online. You get an entire fusion file. The only thing you need to potentially modify is the motor mount.

Phil Vandelay's design...

Last edited:
I have a 2x72 on the docket to make this winter. The design I like the best is from “jer’s wood shop”. If you google that you’ll find it.

I’ve priced it out with a 2hp motor and a VFD and imagine I will spend about 1000-1500$ for it and all attachments.

Seems like a stout machine though.

I have welders, mill, bandsaw, lathe, grinders etc. so maybe slightly more equipment. But Jer has a video on YouTube of him building it and he does it with basically a welder, a portaband, a grinder, and a drill press.

Quite do able I think.

Me three..... But I have already procastinated mine over for another year. :rolleyes:
How is it supposed to be an unfinished project that sits around for years if you never start it in the first place!

@jorogi ya his videos are great. The grinder build videos are superb.

He doesn’t put out much content anymore….. I get the impression in the more recent videos that there might be some personal type issues going on….. which is too bad.

If you want the utility without the work, 6X48, 2X48 1 X 40 and similar smaller sander/grinders are usually available in the biggerish cities pretty often. A smaller low HP grinder does get the job done, albeit more slowly.

Even new, teh 1X30 belt sanders are in the 120 buck range.

I keep edging toward a 2X72 build, but I have 2 - 6X48 belt sanders, and the actually do everything I need. Just lusting for the next great thing, I guess. (6X48 sanders can be had in the 500$ range)

Me four. I always liked Jer's design, and downloaded the model years ago when he offered it for free. I made some changes to frame and the pivoting part, very similarly to what he did for version 2, for the same reasons. I've made a couple parts for it, but got mega sidetracked this spring and haven't found my way back to it. I also ended up buying a surface grinder which now occupies the space I had for the belt grinder, so I don't even know where I'm going to put it now either. I've wanted one for a very long time. I'm very tempted to just make a quick and simple version for the blacksmith shop for the time being because it would be so very handy on a lot of the projects I'm working on.

I’m thinking of getting the plate parts buzzed out on a laser / plasma table somewhere. I have some Hutterite / farmers I know that have a surprising amount of goodies in the back barn that im sure if asked would help me out for a song.

Other then that, I traded up that Miller Mig I fixed and bought a brand new Lincoln power mig, so I’m itching to get on a mig welding project.

It would be a SUPER handy tool to have.

I built a 2x48 using plans online. Then sent the DXF file to a place that laser cut it. It was several years ago but they charged 165.00 which included the steel. The cheap variable frequency drives seem to work fine and you can adjust speed right on the VFD if you don't want to get fancy with potentiometers and things. If I had it to do over I would probably go with a 2x72 only because the belts seem to be easier to source.

You can find motors on Facebook marketplace pretty cheap if you look around. Especially 3 phase motors.

(Looked up electric motors 150km around Toronto as I saw your GTA creeping you profile)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1031550601971673/?ref=search

Then you can buy a VFD for pretty cheap aswell for 5hp or less motors. if you don't mind Chinese goods. Perk of VFD it gives you built in speed controller.

I've bought all my VFDs from this seller and been fairly happy with them. The manual is in all Chinese that comes with unit. but they will send you PDF of English manual if you ask for one via chat.

2x grinders are very simple to make, even a cobbled together one works, if you have access to the basics you should be able to piece something together

The wheel kits are available on Amazon, or eBay for under 150$ then a 3/4-1.5hp 3650 motor from marketplace or princess auto, should be able to piece something together for sub 500$

I have built a 2x72 and 2x42, several of the other members have built grinders as well, lots of help here if you get stuck
Did you use any paid/free plans or just designed your own?

Do you have a hack saw and beefy arms? If so you can make your own very high quality belt grinder. It helps if you have a big milling machine tho

I purchased a nice 2x72 plan from a fellow online. You get an entire fusion file. The only thing you need to potentially modify is the motor mount.

Phil Vandelay's design...

I'm thinking of going down the building route; I have some basic fabricating tools and it seems like the cheapest option.

I have a 2x72 on the docket to make this winter. The design I like the best is from “jer’s wood shop”. If you google that you’ll find it.

I’ve priced it out with a 2hp motor and a VFD and imagine I will spend about 1000-1500$ for it and all attachments.

Seems like a stout machine though.

I have welders, mill, bandsaw, lathe, grinders etc. so maybe slightly more equipment. But Jer has a video on YouTube of him building it and he does it with basically a welder, a portaband, a grinder, and a drill press.

Quite do able I think.
I'm inbetween you both; small tabletop mill, horizontal bandsaw, grinders, stick welder. Will probably buy a flux-core mig one for more precision before starting a build.

You can find motors on Facebook marketplace pretty cheap if you look around. Especially 3 phase motors.

(Looked up electric motors 150km around Toronto as I saw your GTA creeping you profile)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1031550601971673/?ref=search

Then you can buy a VFD for pretty cheap aswell for 5hp or less motors. if you don't mind Chinese goods. Perk of VFD it gives you built in speed controller.

I've bought all my VFDs from this seller and been fairly happy with them. The manual is in all Chinese that comes with unit. but they will send you PDF of English manual if you ask for one via chat.
Thanks for the link

Did you use any paid/free plans or just designed your own?

Just designed my own, look on the web for some ideas

If you have a stick welder, a drill and a grinder you can put one together, minimal welding

Look for a 3650 face frame motor, that makes alignment much easier, although it's all pretty forgiving

Back