• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Adhesive lined heat shrink tubing

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Re: test of heat shrink connectors with solder:

I’ve received and tried the (inexpensive from Amazon) electrical wire connectors that shrink + on have adhesive +solder all in one.
Here’s the good, the bad, and the ugly of my test -
I connected: 14 gauge strand wire both with and without solder flux; 20 gauge strand wire; and 20 gauge solid wire. I used a heat gun designed to start charcoal as a heat source- likely a bit too agressive but it’s what i have and it’s less aggressive & more controllable than an open flame.
Note 1- It was hard to melt the solder without damaging the adjacent wire insulation.
Note 2 - maybe a less aggressive heat source would have been better, i monitored the temperature and tried to keep it below 200 F.
Results:
The good- the 14 gauge with the flux looks great and couldn’t be pulled apart. Also good was the connection with the 20 gauage wire.
The bad - the other 14 gauge connection without flux pulled apart easily (i think the failure had nothing to do with the flux)
The ugly - the 20 gauge solid wire pulled apart easily.

Bottom line:
- Maybe more practice and a better heat source would have given better results;
- commercial grade connectors likely better than sourcing from Amazon
- could have twisted the wires but i followed the instructions;
- didn’t think it is a worthwhile time saver considering how seldom I do this (vs solder the connection and then using a good heat shrink that has adhesive);
- failure rate was too high;
- this procedure is too sensitive;
- glad I didn’t spend more than $20 bucks to lean these connectors are not for me!!!

Attachments

• 135C06B0-F8AC-43AF-B41A-7242A2188400.jpeg
    135C06B0-F8AC-43AF-B41A-7242A2188400.jpeg
    414 KB · Views: 7
  • 26E82406-A86E-4676-B5EE-A80FCE13D2C6.jpeg
    26E82406-A86E-4676-B5EE-A80FCE13D2C6.jpeg
    457.1 KB · Views: 7
  • 0DAF6DA6-C458-4DCD-AEC4-FB731E73E2DE.jpeg
    0DAF6DA6-C458-4DCD-AEC4-FB731E73E2DE.jpeg
    504.6 KB · Views: 7

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Pretty much my exact same conclusion. I'll likely toss them & keep the divider box :/

I decided to throw the dice again & bought this system. Connectors are secured to wire with a mechanical crimp & include in-line style. They have a segment of integrated heat shrink on the ends vs the typical hard plastic shroud which I've never had great results with. The shrink is a thicker more siliconey feel vs normal shrink & seems to stick down pretty good with heat. What I also learned (as usual) you can get the same thing on Ali for quite a bit less.

1693449012931.png

Upnorth

Good point about the insulation not being up to standard when using solder sleeves. I should have mentioned it earlier in my comments. The aircraft wire I use has teflon insulation and is very heat tolerant. I use aircraft wire because I have miles of it that was left over from installations. I have had issues with some wiring insulation moving back when I was soldering while using wire from places like Princess Auto.

Point is if you want to use solder sleeves use good quality wire.

thestelster

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I generally don't solder connectors anymore. Crimping and dual-wall adhesive shrink tubing.

Attachments

• 20230831_100418.jpg
    20230831_100418.jpg
    892.7 KB · Views: 3

Larry_C9

Super User
Premium Member
If you are going to solder a wire connection I would slide a piece of adhesive heat shrink down the wire, then twist the wires together and solder with a soldering gun so you can see what your doing. After it cools slide the heat shrink over the connection and shrink it on. A good strong connection and well sealed.