Adhesive lined heat shrink tubing

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
I was mentioning elsewhere that my regular heat shrink tubing really doesn't stick well to metal objects (as opposed to bonding onto silicone or whatever plastic is typically sheathing wires). I was told to use 'adhesive lined heat shrink tubing' which would bond more tenaciously, if not semi-permanent. I assumed all heat shrink had some kind of heat activated adhesive but apparently there are different grades. When I type that it into Ebay, candidates come up under 'marine grade' or 'wire wrap'. Are these the keywords to be looking for? When I went on Digikey they have multiple filter columns but I didn't see any parameter hinting adhesive to be more permanent unless I missed it.

1692922435943.png

phaxtris

(Ryan)
Premium Member
Premium Member
I've bought adhesive lined heat shrink on Amazon

Glue, marine grade, adhesive, all seem to bring it up

This is the stuff I've bought in the past

Dual Wall Heat Shrink Tubing 3:1 Ratio Heat Activated Adhesive Glue Lined Marine Shrink Tube Wire Sleeving Wrap Protector Black and Red, 2 Pack, 1.22M/4FT (Dia 25.4mm (1”)) https://a.co/d/0gqk72p

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I dunno about that word "adhesive". What I do know is that the heat shrink tubing with a sealer in it is what you need for any wiring that will be used outdoors - eg cars, trailers, boats, etc.

I don't think the idea is to glue anything. The idea is to seal the wire connection so water doesn't get in there.

It used to be hard to find, now you can get it damn near anywhere.

There is single wall, double wall, adhesive lined, non adhesive lined, 2:1, 3:1 and even 4:1 along with different plastics for different applications.

I have gone thru (just for one customer) in excess of 60,000ft of tubing, I also stock 1/4, 3/8, 1/2, 3/4 and 1-1/2 tubing just for production. Including several colours, some even printed with my logo on it.

Additionally for repairs I also remove the tubing (permanently) and replace with new.

For best adhesion go 4:1 adhesive lined (expensive). I generally use 2:1 Dual wall (adhesive lined) for mist applications

BTW There is also shrink tubing that requires no heat and it works with a removable core.

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Thanks for leads, this is the sort of material I'm after. What does 'dual wall' refer to?

Here is a link to one of my past suppliers retail side. Description should give you an idea of what you should be asking for.

Good selection, retail volumes with pricing to match.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
I've used heat shrink for wiring and other odd jobs for years...i had no idea there were that many options.
wow, just wow...

Sometimes I feel like a babe in the woods when I hear about all this other stuff you can get.

Next thing you know someone will invent a use for leather to tie things together with. Just add a little water for automatic tightness control. Amazing what we all miss.

Larry_C9

Super User
Premium Member
I used to use adhesive lined heat shrink all the time when I was doing a lot of wiring in yachts. I believe it was all from Ancor, the marine wire supplier. It is a quality product. I probably got enough left to do me for as long as I can use it. Don't know for sure where to get it any more, but the good marine supplers should carry it.

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
When using heat shrink - i always solder the connection first. Then the need for a water tight seal is not so important (at least IMO). I saw an infomercial a while ago about heat shrink tube that has both adhesive and a solder liner. When heated the tube shrinks, seals and solders the connection all at the same time. I’d never heard of this product before. This thread reminded me about that it. I did a search and found a couple of options from Amazon.
Just placed an order to give it a try - 170 pieces for $17.96 including tax &deliver (hard to beat Amazon prime). Will get it Monday.

Brand: Delgada
4.2 4.2 out of 5 stars 88 Reviews

Delgada 170pcs Electrical Heat Shrink Wire Connector,Solder Seal Wire Butt Terminals Kit,Waterproof Insulated Solder Wire Splice Connectors for Marine Airplane Truck Wire Joint​

Last edited:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
When using heat shrink - i always solder the connection first. Then the need for a water tight seal is not so important (at least IMO).

The problem is corrosion in the unsoldered portion of the wire inside the insulation. The unsoldered wire wicks water up inside the sheathing where it corrodes the virgin wire. As it corrodes, it affects the integrity of the wire and its resistance. This can and does cause fires. The number one cause of vehicle fires is improperly done wiring modifications.

In the old days (before sealed heat shrink), wiring modifications voided the warranty and all wiring was one piece except in protected areas for this reason.

I saw an infomercial a while ago about heat shrink tube that has both adhesive and a solder liner. When heated the tube shrinks, seals and solders the connection all at the same time. I’d never heard of this product before. This thread reminded me about that it. I did a search and found a couple of options from Amazon.

Wow! Another heat shrink product I never heard of! How the heck do you melt solder without destroying the heat shrink! Can't wait to see your report! If it turns out to have merit, I'll get some and test it. It might be a product I will love.

If you test it yourself, remove the sheathing after joining and evaluate the penetration and integrity of the solder bond and also test the conductivity of the wire before and after joining with very high current - just above the wire gauge rating.

Very Cool!

CWret

Ultra Member
Premium Member
There is a short video of the product - they use a heat gun, not an open flame.

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
There is a short video of the product - they use a heat gun, not an open flame.

As in a surface mount soldering heat gun? I can't really see that working. The hot air is too focussed. A regular heat gun wouldn't get hot enough to melt solder.

This is WAAAAY too interesting! My curiosity dial is in the red zone.