• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.

Add Your Gratuitous Bacon Pics, other cured meats also acceptable...

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
The best turkey I've ever had was one that I smoked for about 1.5-2 hours, then finished in the deep fryer. That was about 10 years ago and family still talk about it. The soup I made from the bones was incredible too. The worst turkey I ever had was one I smoked to completion. Way too much hickory. Felt like I was eating an axe handle.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The best turkey I've ever had was one that I smoked for about 1.5-2 hours, then finished in the deep fryer. That was about 10 years ago and family still talk about it. The soup I made from the bones was incredible too. The worst turkey I ever had was one I smoked to completion. Way too much hickory. Felt like I was eating an axe handle.
I smoke a turkey several times a year and do from start to finish in the smoker and they are delicious. I can imagine that hickory smoking would be way too powerful for my tastes. I use maple and while the carcass makes for a pretty nice soup base it can be too smokey for some.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I smoked the turkeys ive done from start to finish, prob 7-8 hrs total. Ive found turkeys are easy to over-salt in the brine, they seem to absorb better than red meat...and yes I made soup with the bones. The wife is vegetarian ( not by choise, she just cant digest meat easily) and she even made me make the soup broth before adding the meat pieces so she could grab a gallon or more fore herown self.