Add Your Gratuitous Bacon Pics, other cured meats also acceptable...

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Alternative to strip bacon from pork belly is "buckboard bacon" from the pork butt. This is also the cut used to make BBQ pulled pork and contains the "money muscle" that's tender and surrounded by fat... It is also the cut used to make capicola cured meat.

This is my average sized batch after curing, smoking and slicing ready to be packaged for long term storage... more than 14 days

30582015_10155390717262337_9168093484177948672_o_10155390717252337.jpg

It too crinkles up when cooked like good bacon should. Below served with french toast is my favourite way to consume this deliciousness.

46933043_10155847908287337_353428057014403072_o_10155847908277337.jpg

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
I just finished eating a microwaved hotdog on a 3 day old white bun.
I hate all of you.
Specially you, TB
You have only yourself to blame.

last I heard they raised hogs in SK... in fact I recall the smell very well from visiting my friend's farm... there was hog operation about five miles away, the owner would spray the liquid manure on his fields on occasion. Whew nasty.

How is your appetite now?

Doggggboy

Ultra Member
You have only yourself to blame.

last I heard they raised hogs in SK... in fact I recall the smell very well from visiting my friend's farm... there was hog operation about five miles away, the owner would spray the liquid manure on his fields on occasion. Whew nasty.

How is your appetite now?
Hey, it was a hot dog.
It could very well have contained little bits of everything you just talked about, including the pig shit.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Your delicious looking pictures and recipes are making it very hard to want to reduce meat and fat intake in my diet. I guess quality of life is as important as quantity.
I love my cured meats. But I do eat them in moderation. It is all about pacing yourself.

I can only cold smoke when the outdoor temps are continually below freezing, because even cold smoking increases the temp in the sealed smoker. That means you need to stock up enough to make it through the summer.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Hey, it was a hot dog.
It could very well have contained little bits of everything you just talked about, including the pig shit.
I actually love hotdogs. Too much so in fact. I have made my own on occasion but I eat too many to make it a regular thing making my own.

I'm not a bun fan though. I like mine boiled in sauerkraut and kimchi, then served with pierogi and fried onions.

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
..... To a good farm boy, that's the sweet smell of money saved..... Funny how city folks see it differently. :p
funny, all the local farmers were the ones who tried to get the local authorities to stop the fellow spraying. I sided with the use of the organic solution, but I still wouldn't call it sweet... ;)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Your delicious looking pictures and recipes are making it very hard to want to reduce meat and fat intake in my diet. I guess quality of life is as important as quantity.

My great grandparents, grand parents, and my dad all lived to be 90 plus. They ate sausage and all the other stuff the health nuts claim will kill you. My dad used to dip his bread in bacon fat.

I don't buy all this vegetarian low meat low fat diet stuff.

How many people know where the word vegetarian comes from? It's actually an indigenous word that means "bad hunter".

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
My great grandparents, grand parents, and my dad all lived to be 90 plus. They ate sausage and all the other stuff the health nuts claim will kill you. My dad used to dip his bread in bacon fat.

I don't buy all this vegetarian low meat low fat diet stuff.

How many people know where the word vegetarian comes from? It's actually an indigenous word that means "bad hunter".
Genetics man, thats the biggest factor followed by lifestyle and diet. My father dropped dead at 64 of heart attack (had earlier attacks in his late fifties) and I had my first heart attack at 42. I now have half a dozen stents in my heart but I wasn't dealt a good genetic hand and my diet and lifestyle didn't help any. So I try to limit my meat intake when I can but dang it's hard!

TorontoBuilder

Ultra Member
Genetics man, thats the biggest factor followed by lifestyle and diet. My father dropped dead at 64 of heart attack (had earlier attacks in his late fifties) and I had my first heart attack at 42. I now have half a dozen stents in my heart but I wasn't dealt a good genetic hand and my diet and lifestyle didn't help any. So I try to limit my meat intake when I can but dang it's hard!
Yes one half of my family all died young... diabetes and heart disease. My brother started with stents, then had to have multiple bypasses.

I still have jars of schmaltz and bacon fat in my refrigerator always, and cured and salted fat. moderation... I did switch from confit to sous vide for many dishes

The other day I made homemade butternut squash soup and only used half and half instead of heavy cream or creme fraiche

4gm6jF2ybE00-2KDHZP2UhbWbsIg8UNuvz5BXpoI7YQIPYdo0-FXdtgIcSgPOtSmVwjzZl57FxYK7i0prWVyuXD3zgvYJHmz0ElrLRoteixjwAyjdTnYjEGHyfi6WfLumYlaHqdQsCMbDFfZA78EB5-1zfX6vomxjKAombnLGOenk6krVCajM51uhfHU1BNyzY1w0K8T26gKPz9RrfRVrD68U1pxJ7_bBN6MY8RBFF_q3HBE_U4Vh8B95A3OiiroRWnbwwMRU4SX18gl8_Uw0n5Cz-EIdsPcP5n0CEgSuGJCSBimhCC0FN0xdoTqnmU8Shmn6k_ROEQTmXaibDqwb2lM0mfNHKcINMvqxJFjqwBkxljZWM4iZFNfq-3hllH7eohNjcPuqiAe4YiLFPb1JG0rFUiDPmCKHTXkYzhGwzR7cvxlGtdv_pOB6u2s7cVsAtxjCnnIFNjRC83QRkWmjXa4WSTfZrvuw1JEYlGY3gohCeR51wiMbKpHUYHsscv28wZANn1n_PR7LoMO0rg-2IOgQFLqxS5wBlzTkC2se6ngWIhBsbrCd6xcpLk5dkquNxos3p86wDWRlr-W01qt3wsYitmVHr22OFoOT6nzzTRWX8dlTWZVDLNB4KQysLtuuY-rIdXh-Y7bz4gZzQSU04-7SRdKrg0oDMZzhULt8Wh2yCwcIxAK4AY8X6D9F0WwRrD95zc-dYXQ4CG1t6_ZmuQn8krMQ-AeouBJXM9-gwzDcrvj2fP5L4sFctCHyULmzJ-_5o9tObB43eiqkDZeVp0aOkUzJnuEotyrq5XNF4ytbpeJQ12L6edzC3qnnCtH77SjSo4zyiwAHm4yO20mBsvAOQU3S-AGWF0PFUJUehQViI5Nz5leDxmMt2mEe458p2NhgGhsjKmNeJMrWtJQmQZThNd5qGbd_YcfXmoN1KVX1vwS=w933-h700-no

6.5 Fan

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Not a meat or bacon thing but have you ever had cactus berry jelly. Damn that is awesome stuff.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I just bought a big new smoker in August ( Pit Boss 5 rack upright) , primarily for venison sausage . I can do one whole deer ground up in one day, it is an awesome machine . with my old smoker it took me a week to do a couple deer, this year 2 days....and this one handles smoking/cooking in much colder weather so not so dependent on that.
Took the wife a bit to get used tome smoking regular meals in the thing...this past thanksgiving I smoked a turkey for the family but she didnt trust me at all so cooked one herself old school in the oven...when thanksgiving was over (about 15 family members) her turkey had been picked at a bit but my smoked bird was just bones left. Last nigh we were watching the long range forcast for X-mas and cent Ab is -25 daytime for our area....she asked if I was smoking the Christmas turkey...and grinned !!!