Add Your Gratuitous Bacon Pics, other cured meats also acceptable...

Dan Dubeau

Ultra Member
The best turkey I've ever had was one that I smoked for about 1.5-2 hours, then finished in the deep fryer. That was about 10 years ago and family still talk about it. The soup I made from the bones was incredible too. The worst turkey I ever had was one I smoked to completion. Way too much hickory. Felt like I was eating an axe handle.

DPittman

Ultra Member
Premium Member
The best turkey I've ever had was one that I smoked for about 1.5-2 hours, then finished in the deep fryer. That was about 10 years ago and family still talk about it. The soup I made from the bones was incredible too. The worst turkey I ever had was one I smoked to completion. Way too much hickory. Felt like I was eating an axe handle.
I smoke a turkey several times a year and do from start to finish in the smoker and they are delicious. I can imagine that hickory smoking would be way too powerful for my tastes. I use maple and while the carcass makes for a pretty nice soup base it can be too smokey for some.

historicalarms

Ultra Member
I smoked the turkeys ive done from start to finish, prob 7-8 hrs total. Ive found turkeys are easy to over-salt in the brine, they seem to absorb better than red meat...and yes I made soup with the bones. The wife is vegetarian ( not by choise, she just cant digest meat easily) and she even made me make the soup broth before adding the meat pieces so she could grab a gallon or more fore herown self.