• Scam Alert. Members are reminded to NOT send money to buy anything. Don't buy things remote and have it shipped - go get it yourself, pay in person, and take your equipment with you. Scammers have burned people on this forum. Urgency, secrecy, excuses, selling for friend, newish members, FUD, are RED FLAGS. A video conference call is not adequate assurance. Face to face interactions are required. Please report suspicions to the forum admins. Stay Safe - anyone can get scammed.
  • The 2026 Calgary Area Meetup is set for Saturday May 30th at 10am. The signup thread is here! Robinhood has graciously offered to host the meetup again this year. Please note that you MUST RSVP to the notice linked above if you wish to come.

Active project - 1972 MGB

That’s why I bought this no more grunting at the tailgate.
It also doubles as a step-up for those awkward working heights or just a variable height for your Ass ( no cup holders included )
View attachment 87803

View attachment 87804
Beekeepers have similar lifts for dealing with the honey harvest.
The supers, or boxes the bees make comb and honey in, can weigh more than 60lbs and are often stacked 6 or 7 high on top of brood boxes.
More than a little awkward to lift by hand on top of a ladder.
 
In other news, I bought a set of Quickjacks as I have a mortal fear of being crushed under a car. 5000lb capacity should be enough for the 2000lb MGB.
 
In other news, I bought a set of Quickjacks as I have a mortal fear of being crushed under a car. 5000lb capacity should be enough for the 2000kb MGB.
I bought a Lift King 4 post 8000lb lift years ago and it's been.......ok.
Not sure I'd do it again.
I had thought about the low profile scissor lift option.
Let us know what you think once you use it a bit.
 
I bought a Lift King 4 post 8000lb lift years ago and it's been.......ok.
Not sure I'd do it again.
I had thought about the low profile scissor lift option.
Let us know what you think once you use it a bit.
If I had the room to dedicate to a lift it would be a two post. A four post feels limiting to me
 
I bought a Lift King 4 post 8000lb lift years ago and it's been.......ok.
Not sure I'd do it again.
I had thought about the low profile scissor lift option.
Let us know what you think once you use it a bit.
I had been thinking about getting a four post hoist, what is it about yours that you don't like? I was thinking of a used one in the 10,000 lb range. It is going to live a rough life with me outside and I am willing to accept that. If the camper is still on the truck, I still want to be able to use the hoist, and I will never have a ceiling that high......
 
If I had the room to dedicate to a lift it would be a two post. A four post feels limiting to me
A lot of them, like mine , are moveable. You put the casters on, lower it, and the weight of the decks lift the posts off the floor. Makes it handy for getting it out of the way if you are blessed with lots of space.
They do make it less handy for doing any wheel or suspension work that requires having the wheels off the ground unless you spring for the bridge jack, which is a 1500 to 2000 dollar touch. Without a bridge jack you use the jack tray, a hydraulic jack. and some jackstands, same as you would on the floor. The upside is you're not laying on your back. Also you obviously need the ceiling height if you are doing a full lift
 
I had been thinking about getting a four post hoist, what is it about yours that you don't like? I was thinking of a used one in the 10,000 lb range. It is going to live a rough life with me outside and I am willing to accept that. If the camper is still on the truck, I still want to be able to use the hoist, and I will never have a ceiling that high......
To be really useful you need one or two bridge jacks, and they are stupid expensive. 1500 to 2500 bucks each, depending on the lift capacity. I had 4 of them and two of them failed with a 7000 lb van on them. They have auto lock mechanisms on them to lock into position as they lift, like a ratchet, and once the lock mechanism failed due to a manufacturing fault, once the shaft on the hydraulic ram bent into a pretzel. The other two had either a hydraulic problem or were too high to fit under any non-lifted vehicles. Lift King was great about replacements and finally a full refund but I finally gave up. Too many pair of ruined underwear. My brother in law bought a 14000 lb Bendpack 4 poster with 2 bridgejacks for multiples of what I paid and has had zero problems working on lots of his farm trucks and his boys toys.
If I was going to do it again, I would spend more money on something on something that didn't make me poop.
I just bought a 3 ton Vevor airbag jack to put in the jack tray. Superfast and easy but you really, really, really need to use jackstands. Jackstand placement can be an issue as well depending on the deck width.
 
Back
Top