• Spring 2024 meetup in Calgary - date Saturday, April 20/2024. discussion Please RSVP Here to confirm and get your invitation and the location details. RSVP NOW so organizers can plan to get sufficient food etc. One week to go! More info and agenda
  • We are having email/registration problems again. Diagnosis is underway. New users sorry if you are having trouble getting registered. We are exploring different options to get registered. Contact the forum via another member or on facebook if you're stuck. Update -> we think it is fixed. Let us know if not.
  • Spring meet up in Ontario, April 6/2024. NEW LOCATION See Post #31 Discussion AND THE NEW LOCATION

Accusize Rocks

gerritv

Gerrit
Accusize in their eBay store clearly marks items as demo or used. Its a store, just like their online website and Amazon store. So hardly anything nefarious or under handed. For that you need to shop at BestBuy.ca It is obivious from various interactions listed here that they care about service, quality and reputation. Otherwise e.g. this thread wouldn't be here with the praise from Susquatch.

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
Speaking of Accusize (or other vendors of Chinese tooling, choose your poison). Maybe its been out for a while & I've been dozing off, but I noticed an ER collet based spin indexer. So for those of you who don't have 5C collets but do have ER32, there ya go. .

Observation be aware: reading through the Accusize spin jig description and features it falls short in the diameter of ER32 collet material (1/16" - 13/16") it will hold. I find that rather odd as my spin-index collets will hold material up to 1 & 1/8" in diameter.

Perhaps the spin jig feature details as given is a typo. Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
Any thoughts on this?
I imagine that people who already use ER32 collets would be accustomed to their limitations. BTW, it's possible to buy 'oversize' ER32 collets which go up to 26mm (standard max size is 22 ? mm), though there's not much collet left at that point. Probably OK for light duty only? I've used my 'oversize' ER32's a couple of times and they seemed to work OK, but I have low-powered machines so not much force involved.

Tom Kitta

Ultra Member
Observation be aware: reading through the Accusize spin jig description and features it falls short in the diameter of ER32 collets material (1/16" - 13/16") it will hold. I find that rather odd as my spindex takes collets that hold material up to 1 & 1/8" in diameter.

Perhaps the spin jig feature details is a typo. Any thoughts on this?

Well, to match 5C they should have used ER40 not ER32 which can hold just over 3/4 of an inch. ER40 can hold jut over 1 in.

What I do find interesting is that I cannot easily find ER32 or ER40 spin index from China direct. This makes me think this is uniquely American thing.

Finally, what do they use in Europe instead of 5C? I.e. what is their collet for work holding? ER collets are for tool holding.

I did find some other makers of ER32 spin indexer - so maybe it is just a new thing starting up. You can always place ER collet chuck in 5C collet but it will not be as rigid & a bit less precise. Reason for that would be 5C have little clamp range, and few pp own like over 60 of them to cover the range.

gerritv

Gerrit
Why would it be odd, ER32 range is not as large as the 5C, they max out at 13/16 or 21mm. :) The ER's though have the advantage of a broader gripping range where as 5C should be very close to nominal.

Well, to match 5C they should have used ER40 not ER32 which can hold just over 3/4 of an inch. ER40 can hold jut over 1 in.

What I do find interesting is that I cannot easily find ER32 or ER40 spin index from China direct. This makes me think this is uniquely American thing.

Finally, what do they use in Europe instead of 5C? I.e. what is their collet for work holding? ER collets are for tool holding.

I did find some other makers of ER32 spin indexer - so maybe it is just a new thing starting up. You can always place ER collet chuck in 5C collet but it will not be as rigid & a bit less precise. Reason for that would be 5C have little clamp range, and few pp own like over 60 of them to cover the range.
I own almost 60 5C's :rolleyes:

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Observation be aware: reading through the Accusize spin jig description and features it falls short in the diameter of ER32 collet material (1/16" - 13/16") it will hold. I find that rather odd as my spin-index collets will hold material up to 1 & 1/8" in diameter.

Perhaps the spin jig feature details as given is a typo. Any thoughts on this?

When I looked at the website it said "accept 5C collets up to 1-1/8" capacity"

That's what mine go to as well.

You might be able to get to 1-3/16 but that's pushing it.

Edit - Maybe I don't understand your question. What does ER32 have to do with this?

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
When I looked at the website it said "accept 5C collets up to 1-1/8" capacity"

That's what mine go to as well.

You might be able to get to 1-3/16 but that's pushing it.

Edit - Maybe I don't understand your question. What does ER32 have to do with this?

Susquatch said "Maybe I don't understand the question. What does ER32 have t do with this?

You are correct Susquatch you completely missed my observation by a mile perhaps by a corn field. LOL

Go back and read post # 18 by PeterT where he calls the ER collet base a spin indexer where as the correct Accusize term logy is <ER32 Precision Indexing and Grinding Spin Jig>

I simply took the time to compare apples to apples however that turned out differently.

Accusize ER32 spin Jig only has a material holding range from 1/16" - 13/16" where as their spin indexer has a holding range up to 1 & 1/8".
At first I thought it was a type 'O' and that is why I asked the question some don't understand. LOL

There's no argument from me one might squeeze 1 & 3/16" material into a 5C collet. Comparing apples to oranges it's that simple. LOL

Last edited:

Dusty

(Bill)
Premium Member
I see..... Got it now.

Insert photo of susquatch with a headache here..... .

Have you harvested your field(s) of corn as yet? Human consumption or for animals?

Reminds me of the old movie 'if you build it they will come' where former baseball players walked out between the corn stocks to play. LOL

Last edited:

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Go back and read post # 18 by PeterT where he calls the ER collet base a spin indexer where as the correct Accusize term logy is <ER32 Precision Indexing and Grinding Spin Jig>
Well.. just because Accusize rearranged the words & inserted 'grinding' in the new model, I'm going to guess its the same basic unit as the original model other than they replaced the 5C spindle with an ER32 spindle. everything else looks the same although I dont have either so cant say for sure. Now what does 'grinding' infer? Its super accurate & accommodates those tolerances? The 5C unit quotes 0.0004" TIR (they call it TIP but lets go with TIR). The ER unit 0.0005" TIR. Hmmm...

What Tom was saying was why not go up to ER40 resulting in larger diameter capacity more like 5C (because its the collets that limit diameter because the spindle tube is pretty large ID). Maybe there is a reason, I dunno. I know you can buy low profile ER nuts that might help. Even so I have run into issues with small hole features really close the end of the collet if the rotating tool is in the way.

I have a KBC version (Chinese) ~ 15 years old. Its OK, nothing special. There were a lot of internet articles on how to improve them, maybe they are better now. I'm pretty sure my edges are machined but I cant recall if it came that way or I did myself. I don't recall confirming my runout or spindle tilt but now I will. There used to be a Taiwan version of these, they were better but more moola. Not sure if Suburban is the original 'inspiration'. Its a wallet melter.

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-08-25 9.16.57 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-08-25 9.16.57 PM.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 4
  • SNAG-2022-08-25 9.17.07 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-08-25 9.17.07 PM.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 4

PeterT

Ultra Member
Premium Member
Accusize spec description for both. The 5C is: not guarantee to meet all the specifications & Satisfactory for most requirements. So there you have it LOL

Attachments

• SNAG-2022-08-25 9.50.28 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-08-25 9.50.28 PM.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 5
  • SNAG-2022-08-25 9.50.48 PM.jpg
    SNAG-2022-08-25 9.50.48 PM.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 5

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member
Have you harvested your field(s) of corn as yet? Human consumption or for animals?

Reminds me of the old movie 'if you build it they will come' where former baseball players walked out between the corn stocks to play. LOL

Not even close Dusty, cobs are still filling out. I won't harvest till late October or November.

Most likely my corn will be used to make ethanol to dilute in gasoline. The left over will be used for animal food.

But it's also possible it will end up as cereal or corn oil for human consumption or as a chemical input for textiles.

But I think you probably meant is it sweet corn or field corn. It's field corn. Sometimes we eat it ourselves anyway. It's not bad.

Growing up I had no access to various tools that I have today, but I almost did as much simply because I found a way with the limit tools (some improvised pieces of junk) I had think outside to box and come up with a method that gives the result you desire/need as this folks makes ultimately makes you become a master craftsman, not the use of the perfect whatever tools.

So watching some of you criticize (dare I say bad mouth) different suppliers is amazing. I'm going to comment as follows....

It's not the tools/machines that make for great work but a user of the tools/machines that produces the great results, great tools/machines just make it a just a tiny bit easier.

So, stop looking for excuses for your mistakes or faults.

Comment on how they can improve your life.

Last edited:

Everett

Super User
@Degen - I'm just thankful to have my little machine tool play area, even if it took till my 40's to be able to afford it (and even doubly thankful after not being able to use it for a year due to moving!). I do agree with the statement that a true craftsman can still make good work with basic tooling, especially when one thinks of Ca Lem from YouTube and what he's shown himself capable of.

Conversely, even with the variety of tools I am blessed to have, I have screwed up lots of things for various reasons (math error, wrong lever selected, sneezed at wrong moment, etc.) so that certainly takes the tooling out of the equation for producing scrap from perfectly good stock

I still like Accusize tools though, they are my primary Canadian supplier of budget friendly tooling. They allow me to screw up affordably

Chicken lights

Forum Pony Express Driver
Growing up I had no access to various tools that I have today, but I almost did as much simply because I found a way with the limit tools (some improvised pieces of junk) I had think outside to box and come up with a method that gives the result you desire/need as this folks makes ultimately makes you become a master craftsman, not the use of the perfect whatever tools.

So watching some of you criticize (dare I say bad mouth) different suppliers is amazing. I'm going to comment as follows....

It's not the tools/machines that make for great work but a user of the tools/machines that produces the great results, great tools/machines just make it a just a tiny bit easier.

So, stop looking for excuses for your mistakes or faults.

Comment on how they can improve your life.
I gotta disagree. I have way more options for tools from Snap On than anywhere else. It is WAY nicer using quality tools, for whatever you’re doing

Luckily, we’re all allowed an opinion, whether or not anyone else agrees with it :D

I gotta disagree. I have way more options for tools from Snap On than anywhere else. It is WAY nicer using quality tools, for whatever you’re doing

Luckily, we’re all allowed an opinion, whether or not anyone else agrees with it :D
I think we are on the same page, tools make a difference, the better the tools the easier it becomes. Specialized tools make it even easier.

I have a few Snap On tools and yes they are nice (and expensive), of all the sockets that I have broken Snap On is among the highest count, the old cheap Harbour Freight while bulky heavy and poor finish, have stood the test of time and have yet to break one with the most extreme miss use possible (one or two on a regular basis as there is no better tool).

So quality becomes the question, which performs better, lasts longer, takes the abuse and provides the best ROI.

I'm if the opinion of buying tools as a one time use application (cheap as possible, if it last a lifetime bonus), or lifetime purchase (whatever it takes for the best possible, sucks when it last only one use).

In short value for money, highest value for the least money is likely they best quality where is counts.

Don't get me wrong I'm not picking on any brand (or saying the Snap On is poor quality), just using the two as an example.

What I am saying is the individual doing the work makes a difference, the tools (abundance, specialized and quality) only make it easier.

VicHobbyGuy

Ultra Member
So watching some of you criticize (dare I say bad mouth) different suppliers is amazing.
So we should just "put up and shut up" if we get poor service or are sold sub-standard tools, sometimes at premium prices?
I'm really grateful to people who criticize and comment publicly; it's saved me a lot of wasted money and inconvenience.
I'm also grateful to people who give an online 'heads up' about good values and bargains, and suppliers who do give good service.
That said, service and quality isn't necessarily uniform from any supplier. And, past experience isn't necessarily a good forecast for the future.
YMMV as the saying goes - even from Accusize. :)

Susquatch

Ultra Member
Administrator
Premium Member

I don't have a lot of Snap-On tools. Just the odd one that I inherited or was given. I gotta say that all of them have been bullet proof. Ive never broken or even damaged a Snap-On tool if any kind.

My original tools were mostly craftsman. For the most part, they have been good to me, but I have broken the odd one over the years. I probably broke a dozen 1/2 to 3/8 adapters. Mostly because it would have been impossible to make anything that could have handled the raw strength of the 25 year old 260 pound abusive refrigerator that I was back in the days that predated any expertise on fasteners. But good old Sears would always hand me a new one - no questions asked.

Today my Toolbox is a mishmash of every brand on the planet. I have no loyalties whatsoever. I simply use what works. I never buy top of the line anymore and I rarely buy cheap. 3/4" and 1" drive sockets and tools are so big that they almost never break no matter how cheap they are. I have broken two 3/4 inch breaker bars from princess auto though. I decided to buy a better brand after the second one broke. Their literature says they can handle 1200 foot pounds - but don't believe it, they can't.